blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  James "MC" Atkin: In the Well
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: James "MC" Atkin: In the Well  (Read 114227 times)
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2009, 02:57:23 AM »

Obviously I was well aware of most of this story too due to the mad spin-ups on BSQ back in the day.  I remember when you started trying to put some discipline into your heads up play and i was under orders to call/text you if i spotted you venturing onto the cash tables for a tilt session!!

You put together some ridiculously complex spreadsheets for tracking your results (pre-Sharkscope etc) but then ended up starting afresh after some mad chasing session  Smiley

I was really glad when you spoke to your parents about the cash etc. and they took hold of some of it, as so many people do the lot like that BlueScouse chap.  Although there was the fixation on the one (two?) time £100k roll, ending up with even £30k is a right result for a student.

It's good to see things have settled down now and you've got the family around you to keep things that way.  Hope to see you soon as it's been a while now.  Maybe i'll head up for the next Snobs trip!

Jamie.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Mango99
Donk King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2009, 03:01:39 AM »

Not only the best ITW thread I've read, but possibly the best thread I've read on blonde full stop. Absolutely stunning stuff, especially the long posts (and the rap battle vs BarryShoelace)
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2009, 04:43:52 AM »

gr8 well james, nice honesty
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:41 AM »

Obviously I was well aware of most of this story too due to the mad spin-ups on BSQ back in the day.  I remember when you started trying to put some discipline into your heads up play and i was under orders to call/text you if i spotted you venturing onto the cash tables for a tilt session!!

You put together some ridiculously complex spreadsheets for tracking your results (pre-Sharkscope etc) but then ended up starting afresh after some mad chasing session  Smiley

I was really glad when you spoke to your parents about the cash etc. and they took hold of some of it, as so many people do the lot like that BlueScouse chap.  Although there was the fixation on the one (two?) time £100k roll, ending up with even £30k is a right result for a student.

It's good to see things have settled down now and you've got the family around you to keep things that way.  Hope to see you soon as it's been a while now.  Maybe i'll head up for the next Snobs trip!

Jamie.

Need some help on this but...

SNOBBS SNOBBS SNOBBS...

SALT SALT SALT...

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »

Need some help on this but...

SNOBBS SNOBBS SNOBBS...

SALT SALT SALT...

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »

this is what happens pre snobs

the video is shocking quality - but you can still make it out and it is almost unreal

THE CHALLENGE

Stu Rutter V's Dan Carter

Stu - 2 bottles of beer

Dan - 1 bottle + a straw

straight race - this only captures Stus attempt - you can see him raise the bottles - first to the left then to the right

(start from like 23 seconds in)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/outragous76/MOV00464.flv">

Timed by our official timer and well legend James "MC" Atkin - Stu wins - 6.8 seconds!!!!!!!!!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »

Didn't realise I posted the hand, that's interesting to see it again, I recalled the action slightly wrong when I wrote about it funnily enough.

Thanks for all the replies, will respond to them when I get to them having gone through the thread, time for part 3. Hope it's not an anti-climax because it's probs not as interesting...

Ok so I'd just found out my gf was pregnant. Looking at my blog it seems I'd had a bit of a downswing Nov/Dec 2008 (although absolutely nothing in relation to previous epic downswings I'm sure). So I was really out to prove I could make a living sufficient to support a family. I started 2009 with a €250 bankroll on the premiss that even if times got rough and it came to be that I didn't have a large bankroll to work with, I could still make enough money from the game. It seems I made €2000 profit doing this in January. So the experiment seemed to work, and I had another good month playing small stakes Heads Ups in March which I actually had a staking proposal for on Blonde (here) after I spent February doing little more than breaking even at small stakes LHE.

So I was feeling good that I had proven I could beat the small stakes to earn a decent living. My attitude was now totally different. I could care less about trying to win back what I had lost 18 months ago, paying the bills was what was important. I guess I have matured in that sense. My parents were very worried that I had no respect for money at one point, which I obviously didn't or else I'd never have had the sick spin ups I did, nor the 'spin downs'. They would have seen me have a very nonchalant attitude to spending £100, which obviously at times in my poker career has been very little, perhaps even just a big blind, but to them it was a lot of money. They have told me over the last year that they are happy I finally have some respect for money. Perhaps it's because I have less of it I'm not sure, but I think it's also from having a bit more life experience now.

I really wish I hadn't bothered with the whole Black Belt Poker thing in May. I had trekked down to the launch night in London, and it sounded like a cool idea, and it felt kinda nice that Neil Channing even knew who I was. Obviously the sensible thing to have done would have been to play heads ups. But I was aware that 'gherkin' on Boss Media, who had been a thorn in my side in the games on Boss for nearly two years, was gonna be in the games, and I was worried that HUSNGs just weren't gonna rake enough for their liking. I thought with a couple of CardRunners videos and my ability two years previously to crush a high stakes game would mean 0.25/0.50 cash games wouldn't exactly prove a problem. Well, I was wrong. Nits and short-stackers + quality graders made these games bloody tough, and I obviously had some leaks. I moved over to SNGs in the second two weeks but was playing double or nothings. It took me a while to adapt to the 6-max strategy, as opposed to the 10-man which I had done well in when I had dabbled in these games previously. By the end of the grading I had done little to prove I was a solid winning player, but I still felt shafted because I had fulfilled all other criteria and tbh had been bullshitted a bit by Neil who made some false promises when I nearly dropped out recognising I was doing shit. Anyway, that's water under the bridge now, and not something I'm at all bothered about.

I think another reason I didn't want to play heads ups in the grading was because I was bored of them. Perhaps I just don't like making money or something I don't know. They were a game I was well proven in, but I think you burn out on these games quicker than other formats of poker for some reason. I can 20 table SNGs for 8 hours, but I'll be damned if I can 2 table HUSNGs for that length of time. Sod that! Anyway, June was around the time Salfi started being active on the forum, I remember seeing this thread and I perhaps Sharkscoped him and stuff. I was surprised you could make such good money from such small stakes. I have always had people telling me I should play MTTs but I've just never been into the whole time-commitment thing, and this looked like a good compromise.

I've done well in them pretty much since I started. I guess the key to these is volume. I started off tiling 8 tables or something, and playing just enough to earn a decent amount each month, but I've seen what I can do when I really grind now, so it's all about putting in the hours. These games seem perfect for me in that they are low variance,with my biggest downswing being around $1500, and even though I feel like I don't have that tilt button I mentioned earlier anymore (well it's probably still there, just well hidden), when you've established a pretty looking graph, you can't get too upset about even a bad-downswing.

I honestly have no desire to do anything remotely gambling orientated. I've found a game I have a good edge in, I'm making decent money, and I have put so many hours into grinding, it would seem pointless. I can barely be arsed to play poker if I haven't got a whole week to put into it, cos I recognise that playing for a couple of hours is barely going to make any difference. So I'm pleased to say sick spin ups and the pit games are something I've put well behind me.

It's funny I talk about volume cos I've played sod all online all this month, but I guess I've earnt a break, and the win in Galway means I can have it guilt-free. I don't really play all that much live, but I was kinda due a win in a live tournament if you look at my Hendon Mob. It was really nice to get the monkey off my back as it were.

Although the money I've earnt this year has only really been enough to support my family and put a small amount into savings, this is the best year I've ever had poker-wise. It's been the least mentally draining and the most fulfilling. My girlfriend used to make me this comfort food whenever I'd had some horrible losing/donk session to make me feel better. A jacket potato with cheese and beans. The fact that she has made me this meal zero times this year is perhaps the best indicator that I'm finally doing things right...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:36:22 PM by MC » Logged

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »

great posts James.

Thank you for sharing!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »

This is def in my top 10 of 'in the well's'  Wink

Enjoyed it a lot a James. Cheers.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »

James, This has been a revelation.

Excellent stuff, just don't plan on your week in the Well ending any time soon!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

Quality mate

HI HELEN!
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2009, 02:38:04 PM »

Great stuff MC.
I'm sure many of us reading this can empathise with elements of your journey - just not quite to the same extremes.

What's the plan for the next 12 months, and what do you hope to achieve?

Mango99
Donk King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »

Haha, I''m lovin' the shirt you have on in your Hendon Mob photo. Good choice :-) Did you wear that in Ireland, or is that an old photo from when you were playing on the site (I believe PCUK is where a heck of a lot of the headsup shenanigans took place? - I think to this day you are the sites highest raker over any 12-month period, and always remained in the black afair).

Speaking of Lovin', my question for the well is:

Do you still get asked for ID?

Did you have a fake ID when you were younger? Was it anything like the one above?
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »

Cheese,beans n coleslaw man get with the programme.

Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »

Cheese,beans n cottage cheese man get with the programme.

FYP

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: