blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:11:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  DTD Trip Report...(Long)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DTD Trip Report...(Long)  (Read 36068 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »

Part 7

So we arrive at the final and unbag our chips. Not ideal is that I have two of the most capable players directly on my left - James 'Cottonbud' Williams and Simon Deadman. CF is a few to their left but doesn't yet have a big enough stack for me to worry about.

With James and Simon on my left I figure I'll be playing a little tighter than normal. The guy in the one seat is about 5 minutes late for the final and absolutely reeks of weed. For the next 10 minutes the dealer holds her cardigan over her face. However, the guy quickly busts himself defending A8, though Charles should have bust him earlier when he defended A8 to Charles raise and they say a board with two Aces on for it to come QQ to chop vs Charles AK.

Chris 'Dancefloorpro' Gregg busted the guy in 8th in a 84green vs KK encounter. All the while I had maintained my stack, adding little bits here and there.

However, my big hiccup came just before the break. Now I call it a hiccup, at the time it felt like the mother of all fuck ups, pardon my french. At 2k/4k, my open had been to 8900 and I looked down at QQ. I announced to the dealer 8900 once again, which the dealer nodded as if to confirm and then I looked down. James Williams quickly called and next thing I know, me James and Charles in the BB are 3 way to the flop.

two spades  

Charles checked, I bet and only James called. The turn was the  . I opted to check here purely for pot control as James was the only person who could bust me at this point and to get value from James' middling pair type hands. I figures James would check behind a lot with a flush draw here. So I check called a small bet of like 17k and we see the   on the river. When I went back over it the hand didn't make too much sense to me and I called James' 60k river bet for James to show a five, a five, a five and another five, which I believe makes 4 of a kind: fives.

When talking about it at the break I was told it was infact Charles who had opened that pot. saghjsdg. Apparently he had AK and if I'd known I'd of 3-bet/got it in, won a nice pot and eliminated a player who just seems to make no real mistakes. Sigh.

From looking a lock to at least get in the top few spots I'm now back in the pack and James has all the chips. James has started drinking Guinness by this point.

With blinds reaching 3k/6k and me now on just under 90k I locked up for about a round just waiting for a hand when I thought I found a good spot to reshove against the cutoff's 16k open with   . Simon Deadman thought for ages in the big blind and I knew I was in trouble, having never really been worried at all about the cutoff. I thought Simon had AQ or similar but when he eventually moved in I wasn't too disappointed to see 99. The board ran out  two spades ......

I was a little embarrassed at doing a small fistpump there as I hate celebration at the table but it was literally just a small bit of relief. The adrenaline was really running at that point, the way the board ran out and I was expecting disappointment and then BAM the river. I didn't think I got rivers like that. I just thought it was the sort of standard shit that happens to me.

We were now playing 6 handed and with a 200k stack again I opened to 15.5k with   for James to call in next position. I received one other caller and flopped the stonecolds on a   and my lead was immediately raised by James. I got it in and quickly called over to Blatch that I had to fade James'   for the world which I did when it came brick brick. Has someone put me in the wrong seat?

In the £1k main right next to us there are two tables in play and the stable boss Niall Blakey is all in. His QQ racing with AK and I rush over from my table to sweat it. Not that a coin flip should be much of a sweat for Blatch but after the raggy board the K on the river was such a gutshot and I felt gutted for Neil.

Now on around 400k of the 1m in play, 6-handed - the chinese lad who is short shoves and I'm in the BB with   . The SB flats and I elect to move in, only to get my arm bitten off by KK. Not a problem, I'll just flop a flush draw on the flop and bink it on the river. EZ game.

We're down to 4-handed and I have around 600k now, with James on around 200, Chris Gregg on 120ish and Cf on 80. Chipcounts obviously a little hazy in my head. At this point one of the massage girls is working on Charles, doing some sort of ponytail thing on his hair. I'm pretty sure it influenced me to instacall his all in with QK. Charles had AJ and I was ready to say bye when the card in the window was infact another Q. However, the two Jacks that peeled back right behind it weren't so nice. It wasn't too much later that Charles had seemingly run a bit card dead and I called his shove with QJ and got there vs his AK.

Now 3-handed Chris Gregg suggested a deal but it wasn't right for me with such a significant chiplead. Doctor Cottonbud wasn't bothered either as he'd never done a deal before (and is baller) and we played on for me to make a badly timed move on a 458 flop with 34 vs Dancefloorpro's J8. Now he'd doubled all the stacks were very similar and we did a deal whereby we all took £6250 and would play on for £2k. James was knocked out soon after in a bit of a weird pot vs Chris which saw them get it in on the flop of a J10J board, Chris's K kicker playing until the 10 turn which looked like choppidy chop. The brudal K river saw James eliminated and even though I was playing ftw and James is such a good player, I was genuinely a bit gutted. A super nice guy, me and James talked through most of the last two tables and he was really complimentary about my game. More importantly he bought me a tuna melt and buying a greek person food will always earn you brownie points.

At 3-handed I think the Guinness's had started to take effect on James and he became pretty damn funny...saying things to the dealer like 'I'd definitely cheat on my girlfriend...if she wasnt SO FIT'. I might have to delete this bit as James mrs sometimes reads stuff after him. Anyway, I'm now officially a James 'Toasty Life' Williams fanboy.

The HU doesn't last too long but I have a bit of a rail behind me during the break of the £150 which is nice. Evilpie, Clown, Chili, Redbull, Blatch, Bedi, Sonny and a few others are railing which is nice. Chris has around 670k to my 330k at the start of play and I cheekily say I'll accept an even chop which Chris can't do but after winning the first hand or two and getting back to around 450 vs 550 the even chop is done for £7250.

Blatch has a monster stack in the £150 after having played for all of about 2 levels but just cba to play and moves in every hand until busto and he feeds us horses a meal in the bar. (Thai curry at DTD is v good). I can't complain even though I was surprised to see the massage he bought me when we got to 3-handed added to my makeup!

I was gonna make this the last part but I'm gonna finish with one more short bit...which will defo go up today. Promise!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Free_Rollin

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »

Nice update Cos, looking forward to the final part!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »

Nice update Cos, looking forward to the final part!

Me too.

[ ] **********8888888888888888

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

Nice report Cos. I've a few interesting bits from the £300 that I experienced and will post them on here later this afternoon.

Blue text
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »

Nice report Cos. I've a few interesting bits from the £300 that I experienced and will post them on here later this afternoon.

Cheers bud, pls do.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »

I'd forgot about this. Nice write up. Should we hit the cash tables around Easter? Grin
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »

oh ffs

I just wrote loads of stuff. Had it in a text editor.

Decided I should save it just in case it crashes or whatever.

Pressed the save button. The program seg faults.

Sigh.

Time to start again.

Blue text
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »

Cf's DTD £300 report that isn't as long as Greekstein's

I was originally intending to play the £1000 Monte Carlo event but had to withdraw at the last minute due to attending a funeral. After the funeral we went out for a few drinks and ended the day pretty drunk. This ended up with me talking to Rich Hawes and we agreed to go down to DTD the next day for the £300. I woke up the next morning hungover and also had a cold coming on. I considered cancelling but instead we arranged to travel down to Nottingham.

When I got there I bumped into Chris Gregg, a friend from Leeds, who I didn't know was playing this. We wish each other good luck and go and take our seats.

Note that the following isn't neccesarily in chronological order.

As we start my table has no-one that stands out and everyone is playing pretty tight. Except for one loud mouted guy who is complaining about the 25/50 level because he finds it boring. After he says this he opens the next hand for 600 and complains when everyone folds showing KK. He asks why no-one calls. Erm, perhaps because you 12xed with with KK. This guy was ultra annoying and always seemed to get away with some bad plays he made. The hands I remember best both involve A8. The first was against Cos on an AxxA board. In a 3 way pot he put a big bet in causing everyone to fold, including Cos who had the same hand. I hated his bet there because I felt it got no value from worse, and was gonna get owned by someone with better. The other hand was much later in the tourney with 2 tables left. I've raised pre with AK. On an AQxA he check/called my flop bet. On the turn he check/shoved and I fistpumped. His A8 was no match for my AK and I'm ready to wave him goodbye when he plays his get out of jail free card with the Q hitting the river. Sigh. He ended up finishing 9th. Glad he was first off the final as he was sat next to me and stunk of weed.

After a while though on our original table he was moved. And our table at this point had an interesting lineup consisting of me, Greekstein, EvilPie, ChipRich and LeKnave. Watching Cos play was fascinating as he played a very very aggressive style, something that I don't play myself and rarely see done well. Once Matt had joined the table though it got a bit daft with those 2 playing some really weird pots against each other. I remember a call with Q high being considered at one point but can't remember if it was actually made. I did ok at this table grinding along. I did have a fun hand where I raised it with QQ and recieved a caller. The QTx board was good. I led right into it and was called. The T turn was lovely and I again led into it. The guy now raised half of his stack in. Happy days! I get the lot in and he folds, wtf. Guess he was making an expensive play. Dave then donks out. Think he'd shoved over a raise with AQ and got called by KT lol. Me and Rich then had a couple of pots. The first I'd raised utg with 44 and he shoved the button. I decided to call as I was getting reasonable odds and was happy to be against AK. [] I liked the TJQ flop. A bit later I raise with 99 utg and he button shoves again, this time for quite a bit more. But there were a few limpers over my raise so deciding it was a nice squeeze spot I fancied my chances. I was against AJ and proceeded to win the race and knock him out. So at this point I had a healthy 40k at 300/600-50.

Our table then got split which sucked. I moved to a new table and this is where things went down hill. The fact that I was a) hungover, b) cold really hitting me now, and c) suspected food poisoning from their fajita wrap (not the first time i've felt ill having had one of them from DTD) meant that I felt like death. I had to rush to the toilet like 4 times in 45 minutes and missed loads of hands. At one point I limped pre with T7s, then called a raise, and folded on the flop. At this point I menetally told yself to sort my head out because no matter how ill I was I didn't want to get busted by making idiotic plays like that. I had another run in with the annoying guy when I led into the flop of an Axxx5 board with AT. He called. I checked the turn and he bet really small so I called. I checked the river and he fired a slightly more than pot sized bet. I sighed and folded knowing that I had him but he just hit that 5. And sure enough he turned over A5.

So as we're down to 2 tables my stack has taken a bit of a battering, but at least I'm feeling a bit better now. I receive a double up from Cos when he button raises me with TT and I have AK in the big blind. But apart from that nothing really happens for me in the next few levels, except for the AK vs A8 hand mentioned about. Had I won that one I'd have had a 100k stack at 800/1600. Instead I just grinded away and we're up wo 1k/2k I'm starting to have to play the short stack game. We're on the bubble and I'm one of the short stacks with 40k/990k. But thankfully the bubble bursts in bizarre circumstances when some guy 3bet/calls with K7 against James' QQ. We're told that the final will take place the next day at 2.30pm and I'm thankful that I get to go and have some sleep.

Also on the final was Chris. I hadn't seen him during the tourney but he told me of an early christmas present he recieved early doors when he got it in with AA against what I think was 66. We sit down and I'm the short stack with only ~32k at 1200/2400. But somehow I'm not first out. I did my best to pick spots carefully, and a couple of people were knocked out before me. I got a double up from Cos when I shoved AJ and he called with KQ. The first card was a Q sigh but the next two were both jacks Smiley The very next hand I'm now playing ~90k and raise to 8900 at 2k/4k. Cos and James both called and after they were betting at a raggy flop I just let my AK go. Cos lost a big pot with an overpair of queens to quad fives. It then transpired after the hand that he didn't realise I'd opened pre and thought he was raising himself. Had he noticed he'd have 3bet, I'd have shoved and we'd have got it in eliminating me and giving him a big pot. I always find it interesting how these little bits of unseen luck go. Cheers for that one Cos Cheesy

A few more go and we're 4 handed. But alas I don't last long as I shove AK on the button into Cos who this time calls with QJblue. 2 diamonds on the flop, a queen on the turn, and another diamond on the river just to rub it in meant I was out in 4th. Obviously really happy with that result, especially considering how unwell I was at the end of day 1 and how short stacked I was on the final. Obviously dissapointed as well. A double up there puts me on ~170k at 4k/8k and back into it, but I daresay I had a good enough run of luck as it was.

Chris and Cos then went on to chop the comp for £7250 each so a nice result for them Smiley

Didn't play the deepstack in January but I'll be back for February!

Blue text
Cottonbud

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2010, 01:24:10 AM »

Nice report Cos and Charles.

I never give credit unless its due, like I said to you at the time anyone can talk a good game by posting on forums etc but you proved you could play a great game at DTD Cos, so welldone mate you deserved to win. Cf although you were limited with your stack I thought you played great short stack poker and did really well, felt it was harsh when 11 left you split the pot AK v A8 both having flopped trips your kicker playing at the time. As for when I drink well I probably shouldn't drink as I embarass myself most of the time lol. But its all in good jest I just try and make people laugh.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

I never give credit unless its due, like I said to you at the time anyone can talk a good game by posting on forums etc but you proved you could play a great game at DTD Cos, so welldone mate you deserved to win. Cf although you were limited with your stack I thought you played great short stack poker and did really well, felt it was harsh when 11 left you split the pot AK v A8 both having flopped trips your kicker playing at the time. As for when I drink well I probably shouldn't drink as I embarass myself most of the time lol. But its all in good jest I just try and make people laugh.

Nice avatar mate Tongue

@GreekStein on twitter.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

Nice avatar mate Tongue

Half of it is.  What's right is right, and the other should be left off.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: