blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Finally, Megson out
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finally, Megson out  (Read 7951 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »

It'll be a long time before Megson manages again, if ever.

With respect, and as someone with no love of Megson following a fairly dull spell in charge of my club, that is complete balderdash

He'll do well at a lot of clubs from Championship level down

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »

end of the day it's tough for the chairman to continue to support hiim when the fans hate him.

Agree he's done as well as he can. Personally I hope they rot. Love it when fans think they're better than they are. I seem to remember Charlton calling for Curbishly's head when they had a bit of success and they were "languishing" in the bottom half

Look where they are now
Simple question - would you have him at your team as your next manager?  This is so reminiscent of Jimmy Calderwood, everyone telling fans how lucky we were to have him, but once he gets sacked, astonishingly no-one else wants to employ him. Funny that. It'll be a long time before Megson manages again, if ever.

I'm a Man Utd fan so probably not.

I think he'll walk into most championship clubs.

When you're in League one in a few seasons time post up on here how much you hate Megson and his style of play.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
SM1LE

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »

As a fan, I think we've been fortunate that the last few years have seen some other very poor teams in the Prem, with this year another example.

Megson was in a lose-lose situation from the off but he didn't help his own chances with his tactical decisions. Most of his defensive signings were ok, Cahill and Muamba being two good examples, but he is totally inept with spotting attacking talent. Elmander should go in the same bracket as the Steve Marlet's and Sergei Rebrov's of the world.

I'd like to see an appointment that the fans can get excited about like Darren Ferguson but the fact is it's not our style.

Jewell it is I guess.
vinni

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

he will be at hillsborough soon .

i`v become cos`s bitch
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »

I think Megson has been pretty unlucky, I am not sure what Bolton expect to achieve but maintaining their premiership status means they have been punching above their weight for many years.
Not sure how you quantify that, only 11 teams have more top flight years under theuir belt than Bolton?

It is not like they have been used to a diet of brilliant expansive football in the past, me thinks they might live to regret this decision, thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
Before my time as a Bolton fan, but you'd be wrong there as well, historically Bolton have been a pretty attacking team, that changed largely unde Fatso, and totally under Megson. And even under Allardyce, the days of JJ & Djorkaeff are pretty fresh in the memory.

Looking at clubs historically especially pre 2nd world war, when Bolton spent a lot of time in the top division isn't realistic. Post 2nd world war Bolton have spent some time in the basement of the football league and quite a bit in the 3rd flight. Using this as a measure you could argue that Burnley, Preston, Blackpool, Huddersfield are all natural top flight teams.

There fan base is a lot smaller than a number of teams who have performed a lot worse than them in the last 15 years. I can't recollect many teams failing to sell their full allocations for events such as playoff finals, which Bolton did in the 90's or even the Fa cup semi final against villa in 2000 in fact.

The attacking football teams to which you refer were yo-yo clubs at best as I presume you aren't harking back to the times of Nat Lofthouse.
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »

It'll be a long time before Megson manages again, if ever.

With respect, and as someone with no love of Megson following a fairly dull spell in charge of my club, that is complete balderdash

He'll do well at a lot of clubs from Championship level down

Tighty is spot on, how much would you like to bet Megson is a manager again at a football league side in 2010.
SM1LE

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »

I think Megson has been pretty unlucky, I am not sure what Bolton expect to achieve but maintaining their premiership status means they have been punching above their weight for many years.
Not sure how you quantify that, only 11 teams have more top flight years under theuir belt than Bolton?

It is not like they have been used to a diet of brilliant expansive football in the past, me thinks they might live to regret this decision, thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
Before my time as a Bolton fan, but you'd be wrong there as well, historically Bolton have been a pretty attacking team, that changed largely unde Fatso, and totally under Megson. And even under Allardyce, the days of JJ & Djorkaeff are pretty fresh in the memory.

Looking at clubs historically especially pre 2nd world war, when Bolton spent a lot of time in the top division isn't realistic. Post 2nd world war Bolton have spent some time in the basement of the football league and quite a bit in the 3rd flight. Using this as a measure you could argue that Burnley, Preston, Blackpool, Huddersfield are all natural top flight teams.

There fan base is a lot smaller than a number of teams who have performed a lot worse than them in the last 15 years. I can't recollect many teams failing to sell their full allocations for events such as playoff finals, which Bolton did in the 90's or even the Fa cup semi final against villa in 2000 in fact.

The attacking football teams to which you refer were yo-yo clubs at best as I presume you aren't harking back to the times of Nat Lofthouse.

The small fanbase is understable given the number of teams in the area. Given the choice between all the clubs in the North West nobody is going to choose Bolton unless they live there or are mentally disturbed. If you meet a Bolton fan they inevitably have either been brought up there or have parents who forced them into it.
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

The small fanbase is understable given the number of teams in the area. Given the choice between all the clubs in the North West nobody is going to choose Bolton unless they live there or are mentally disturbed. If you meet a Bolton fan they inevitably have either been brought up there or have parents who forced them into it.

I understand that, simply saying that the club due to this factor, have far less resources than most and have done well to maintain there place in the top flight in the last decade.
fatshaft

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »

I'm from Aberdeen, live in Warrington, and have no Bolton connection. It has been said by some that I am mentally disturbed though 
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

Maybe they should give Kevin Davies the job as a player/manager in a kind of Atillo Lombardo esq. role.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:54 PM »

He was booed before, during and after his first game in charge. Bolton need a reality check, small club shooting above their station syndrome. Hope the fans enjoy the championship where they belong.
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »

As a Forest fan, I can sympathise with the Bolton fans.  We played the worst football ever under Megson, we hated him with a passion and couldn't wait for him to get the chop.

Long ball football is all her knows and is ultra negative tactically.  What happened in the game the other night when he took of their striker and ended up drawing is classic Megson.  He used to do it all the time at Forest.

All you could here when we were at the games was him screaming and shouting from the dugout, and I used to think that if I were out there playing that would certainly not motivate me one bit.

You have had a lucky escape Bolton, you will survive now.  See it as a late Christmas Pressie!!!
fatshaft

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »

As a Forest fan, I can sympathise with the Bolton fans.  We played the worst football ever under Megson, we hated him with a passion and couldn't wait for him to get the chop.

Long ball football is all her knows and is ultra negative tactically.  What happened in the game the other night when he took of their striker and ended up drawing is classic Megson.  He used to do it all the time at Forest.

All you could here when we were at the games was him screaming and shouting from the dugout, and I used to think that if I were out there playing that would certainly not motivate me one bit.

You have had a lucky escape Bolton, you will survive now.  See it as a late Christmas Pressie!!!

Bolton have a matchday fanzone - function/ballroom room of the De vere's hotel underneath the stadium. Anyway a few weeks ago, they had an ex-playerof Megson's as a guest, forrget who now, and he was being interviewed on stage by Tony Kelly.

Anyway - so what was it like playing under Gary? "I feel sorry for you lads, he was the worst manager I ever played under, and you deserve better than having to put up with that"......stunned silence. 
fatshaft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 08:50:20 PM »

He was booed before, during and after his first game in charge. Bolton need a reality check, small club shooting above their station syndrome. Hope the fans enjoy the championship where they belong.
As previously pointed out, Bolton's history does not reek of small club. But hey, if the glory hunters want to believe that life begins and ends with Manarseapool, then crack on.

Whether someone 'deserves' to be in the EPL or not is totally irrelevant, should fans of those clubs give up just because their manager has them in the relegation slots, or should they fight to survive.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:51:58 PM by fatshaft » Logged
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »

Keep the faith.  It'll come good.

Took us 4 years for a bit of hope and we certainly have that now in abundance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: