blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 04:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272982 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Stocks and Shares Tips
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stocks and Shares Tips  (Read 62905 times)
Cottonbud

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »

Oh and I never knew you was into this stuff James? Sounds good though, we could perhaps bounce some ideas off each other and stuff. I've pretty much got an empty portfolio at the moment, because had too much stuff going on, and didn't have the time needed to dedicate to stocks, but looking to go back into it soon.

Yeah definately mate, thats the whole reason I started the thread. Can't always be grinding 8 tables 10 hours a day till my eye sockets bleed gotta have options open to us Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:17:52 AM by Cottonbud » Logged
Cottonbud

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 11:47:34 PM »

Even if Desire Petroleum are as big as BP by Christmas it can't be a better investment than Magic Blatchley's 'Green Me Up Scotty' Betfair Extravaganza.

I've heard about this, personally I don't know Blatch but I have heard good things about his football market reads and have been interested in investing myself, although as I don't know him personally I would find it hard to hand over money to someone I've never met via a forum - no offence of course to him its nothing personal.

You are becoming very worldly-wise James. And that's equally not in the least directed ast Blatch.

A wise man once taught me a thing or two Wink. But on a serious note I'm sure he is a totally trust worthy guy and If I met him and got to know him well I expect I would invest with him.
Cottonbud

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 11:53:24 PM »

Even if Desire Petroleum are as big as BP by Christmas it can't be a better investment than Magic Blatchley's 'Green Me Up Scotty' Betfair Extravaganza.

I've heard about this, personally I don't know Blatch but I have heard good things about his football market reads and have been interested in investing myself, although as I don't know him personally I would find it hard to hand over money to someone I've never met via a forum - no offence of course to him its nothing personal.

You are becoming very worldly-wise James. And that's equally not in the least directed ast Blatch.

He's had to grow up quick, with his GCSE exams coming up soon...........

Don't worry Neil If you come to Bolton GUKPT I'll read the tournament seating plan to you and walk you to your seat, cos I know you old folk struggle with reading small print and walking short distances Cheesy
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »

...I brought in Desire initially 5 years ago at 45p, again at 32p and alot more at 19p,

[ ] sensible investing

On the subject of the thread tho I'd be interested to hear more about this stuff. I did a bit of speculation at the beginning of 2009 but closed out my portfolio while i was in Vegas for 7 weeks and never got back into it. I made a 50% profit but missed out on maybe another 100%. The shares I had were: FRES, VED, PFC, DPLM, ROR, LAM, WSM and a few others, the general theme was mining and oil services companies and 2009 was a very good year for the sector, basically I just got lucky. Am looking to start buying again now but don't really know where to start, any more suggestions would be great.

You're approach (checkbox judgement) sure will have people queueing up to provide investment tips to you

sola virtus nobilitat
Cottonbud

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 12:04:54 AM »

...I brought in Desire initially 5 years ago at 45p, again at 32p and alot more at 19p,

[ ] sensible investing

On the subject of the thread tho I'd be interested to hear more about this stuff. I did a bit of speculation at the beginning of 2009 but closed out my portfolio while i was in Vegas for 7 weeks and never got back into it. I made a 50% profit but missed out on maybe another 100%. The shares I had were: FRES, VED, PFC, DPLM, ROR, LAM, WSM and a few others, the general theme was mining and oil services companies and 2009 was a very good year for the sector, basically I just got lucky. Am looking to start buying again now but don't really know where to start, any more suggestions would be great.

You're approach (checkbox judgement) sure will have people queueing up to provide investment tips to you

Was thinking the same, whats with the attitude James? You seem to be flaming alot of people recently and I don't really understand why you need to do it in such a rude manner.
Free_Rollin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 12:22:02 AM »

[ ] sensible investing

Depends on the reasons why the share price fell, and also the investor's attitude towards risk. If the investor still feels comfortable with the stock, and if it is a share such as Desire where everyone's just hoping for that discovery of oil, then it's not bad buying more when the share price decreases.

It lowers the average cost per share, therefore needing a lower target price to reach a determined roi.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:23 AM »

One of my pops' properties just became vacant so I put some nice potted plants in their and new light fittings etc. All over the house. If anyone wants to invest in shares let me or Bolt know.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
jack2off

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »

Share price fell last year for a couple of reasons, The market crash, no rig deal (one kept being promised but kept falling through), and the simple fact the companys assests were purely cash in the bank...!

however, they signed a deal with a major oil company (arcadia) to pay for 2 out of the 13 wells (1st 85% for 35 % share on 1 well and 100% costs for 50% share) then they signed a rig contract with diamond offshore drilling, to take the Ocean Guardian 8k miles down to the falklands ata price of approx 300k per day (and takes 3 months to get there), they are not paying that money for nothing, Arcadia arent paying 100% for 50% for nothing! (on just one of the wells).

Yes its risky, any oil exploration is, however, its a calculated risk if you trade well!!
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »

So as a complete beginner how would one go about purchasing some of these shares?
Cottonbud

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:40 AM »

So as a complete beginner how would one go about purchasing some of these shares?

I had to set-up a share dealing account with my bank account took a few days before I could transfer the money in. Then once done you have a search option you type in the code for the company you want to buy in this case the code would be DES then you can trade at certain times in the day buy or sell for example. I think Dr Quinn might be able to explain better than me though.
Free_Rollin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »

Selftrade and e*trade might be the easiest options for a beginner. They have charts + historical prices on the site and you can fund your account with a debit card. I used selftrade myself although now I use barclay's stockbrokers. Actually there's a guide to starting out with all this stuff in a book called "The Naked Trader" by Robbie Burns. That's where I started and I would defs recommend it to anyone else.

+1

Also, just make sure what kind of account it is. There are some which do bulk trades, which will trade your shares at the end of the month, for example. Then there are some which will do the trade, there and then. Depends what you are looking for, however I always use the latter.
jack2off

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 03:44:41 AM »

I had to set-up a share dealing account with my bank account took a few days before I could transfer the money in. Then once done you have a search option you type in the code for the company you want to buy in this case the code would be DES then you can trade at certain times in the day buy or sell for example. I think Dr Quinn might be able to explain better than me though.

I personally did mine through HSBC, there are a couple of options, walk into a bank,give the name DES and purchase what you want cash, they will then send youa  share certificate adn you trade via a broker (they give you the details). You can set up an online account with your own bank and transact through that or you can register with an oline company such as www.iii.com and do it through there
jack2off

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 03:46:54 AM »

Also mneant to say, check out the forum for really good info

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:DES.L&display=discussion&it=le

look out for a poster called JPDM, Gallileo1 - these two get the info spot on 99% of time
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »

All these trading sites/bank traders are not much use when the price begins to crash.

Get yourself an independent broker.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
rossfourfive

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »

Got a few pals who use and recommend share.com. Probably one of the cheaper sites for fees.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: