blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 10:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272775 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Aussie Open Tennis 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aussie Open Tennis 2010  (Read 24397 times)
Blatch

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »

Hopefully I can have as good a year as I did last year.  I doubt ill be able to pick out the two winners again but shall give it a go for you.

Mens

This year in the Mens has to be the most exciting of many a year.  Speaking to different people and everyone is tipping someone different.  I guess the winner has to come from Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Davydenko or Del Potro but some people are throwing in Tsonga and Soderling as well.  First of all I think we can cross of Tsonga, Davydenko and Soderling from the list.  Tsonga just isnt anywhere near consistent enough; Davydenko has been superb recently but wasnt really that unexpected on the courts were his recent run has come from.  The Aussie courts are slightly quicker than the hard courts that the World Champs and Dubai event were held on and therefore he cant simply base camp on the base line and counter punch.  The ball also takes more spin in Oz and will be bouncing up above his waist height more therefore making the balll harder to control for him.  Add to the fact he has never won a major and its another major hurdle he has to over come.  Soderling has been the major improver on tour last year and maybe one to watch but I just cant see him coming through.  So the contenders: -

Federer - Without doubt has to be there.  Always done well here and although he hasnt quite always done the business here he has to be the major contender again.

Rafa - One or two question marks about him recently.  Is his overall game had too much taken off it without niggling injuries and constant pressure that the top of the game causes.

Murray - Will he ever be able to hanlde the heat here and more importantly the pace of the courts.  Murray is very much like Davydenko that there is a specific speed of surface where he seems to have an edge on everyone but the aussie open just arent his type of courts.  Too many average results in the past here and nothing really seems to have changed with him recently. 

Del Potro - This kid has the lot and also has the monkey off his back now he has won a major and also beat Federer to accomplish this.  Has experience to call upon and could be a major player.

The draw puts Federer in the same quarter as Davydenko and Verdasco but cant see Federer not making the semis.

Djokovic has to get through Soderling and Tsonga to meet Federer in the semis.

The other half looks rather juicy - Roddick, Gonzalez, Clilic, Del Potro, Murray, Monfils and Nadal.

That looks like a lot of tough games for whoever makes it and I cant see whoever making it having much left for the final.  My guess would be a Nadal vs Roddick semi with the winner losing in the final.

Im going to back Federer @ 3/1 for 4 points and Del Potro @ 7/1 for 1.5 points

Womens

Again this yer looks be a very good one and there are some great prices out there.  We have the return of both Belgium girls and the best news ever, both Williams in the same half of the draw.  I really want to take on Serena here but she has such an easy draw its untrue.  Her toughest potential games on route to the Semis are against Sam Stosur, Azarenka or Zvonereva all of which she should walk through.

The 2nd quarter has Venus in and although she isnt playing well there is only Wozniacki in this section that should trouble her.  This draw really is weak and kind of takes the mick when you see the bottom half but sadly thats where all my value picks are.

Elena Dementieva is one I always look out for on a hard court as she is always there or there abouts and now that she doesnt have the Worlds worst serve could be a suprise to some at 20/1.  Sadly the draw hasnt been kind to her and she may have to play Henin in the 2nd round.  If she gets through that then I would expect her to have a long run until she meets Clijsters.  KIm has kept a bit quiet on just how seriously she is taking this big come back but after her last win she has to be a major contender for it and I think the winner of her and Dementieva will reach the final here.

The bottom section sees Safina who has almost fallen off the face of the Earth recently and only really has to beat Sharapova to get to the Semi's.

The prices arent anything special apart from Dementieva and we should get a good sweat with her.

Im laying Serena @ 3/1 for 3 points
Backing Dementieva @ 20/1 for 2 points
Backing Clijsters @ 4/1 for 3 Points

Gl all.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »

Not sure what there prices are like, but Sporting Bet refund all bets on the winner if Murray wins...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Blatch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »

Not sure what there prices are like, but Sporting Bet refund all bets on the winner if Murray wins...

Their pretty safe there
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »

Their pretty safe there

How come not laying him then?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

Got on the lot, cheers Blatch. Lets run good.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »

Got on the lot, cheers Blatch. Lets run good.

+1

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »

Had these bets so far:

Juan Martin Del Potro
      8.07      £46.98      £332.15    

Jo Wilfried Tsonga    67.2    £30.00    £1,986.00

I think Tsonga can make the Semis.
Hes made the semis here before and i definetly think he has the game to beat Djokovic in the Quarters, hes excels in that match up. Hes been struggling with a wrist injury recently, but i think is in fine shape again now after some time off and was hitting the ball excellently in the Keeyong Exhibition tourn this week.
Im backing him with a view to trade in the semis.

I think Federer is a dodgy one, will have to get past Davydenjo to make the final and he cant succeed in that match up for toffee atm. He may fare better over 5, but a meeting with Del Potro or Nadal in the final would also be a huge hurdle for him to overcome.

I like Del Potro/Nadal/Tsonga for this tournament.

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 12:20:53 PM »

Blatch, how come youve backed Del Potro to win it but predict Roddick will beat him in the Quarters?

Somerled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »

I too think Tsonga can make the semis. I don't think Nadal can win on his recent form so my semifinalists will be (based on my attempt to read the draw)

Federer
Tsonga
Murray
Del Potro

With probably a Del Potro v Federer final, Federer to win it.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »

Never mind all that - are there any new fit women players we need to be aware of?
yorky34

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »

fed express for me , think murray will have a good run but he just   dosent seem to be able to last in the big games over 5 sets , nadal still capable if he can be injury free and get some form back
Blatch

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 05:36:46 AM »

Blatch, how come youve backed Del Potro to win it but predict Roddick will beat him in the Quarters?

typo
Blatch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 01:43:01 AM »

Kirilenko stunning as stunning as usual and taken first set against Sharapova.

Could be a noisy 2nd set.
chrisbruce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:42:48 AM »

Yes she is worth staying up for

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009_swimsuit/video/maria-kirilenko.html
Blatch

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:48:39 AM »

Bye Sharapova and ......

HELLO KIRILENKO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 18 Go Up Print