blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 12:26:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272977 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  new to online cash game
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new to online cash game  (Read 2126 times)
acc2020

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:15:30 AM »

i have no previous online poker experience only 12 months of twice weekly cheap tournies and a little cash @ 50p/£1.

i deposited £500 into a poker site for the first time and proceeded to the $0.10/0.20 cash tables as reccommended in another post.

Whilst playing live cash i seem to do ok winning at a slow rate, but within my first 90 minutes iv had to reload a few times ultimately doing £80. I played in a similar way to the way i play live but ended up doing my brains in even at this low level. i thought i would do ok but the opposite has happened.

few questions

a) whats a standard raise with for eg. AK or large pocket pair. When playing live @ 50p/£1 i raise to £7-£10 which works for me but online i am getting no callers only by a better holding and getting shafted.

b) at $0.10/0.20 how much can i call with pocket jacks. A couple of times there is an all in before me of over $5 , both times i called once winning and once running into AK  with ace on the flop.

In live cash i have sometimes passed jacks where it has been over £15 to call (15 blinds) but online $5 seems like a very small amount (£3.50 ) so i am inclined to call despite being over 25 blinds (£25 a fold most likely in live game)

Am i wrong to see the raise in terms of cash value , should i be seeing it in terms of the amount of blinds it has been raised.

c) i am finding it hard to pass good hands because of the seeming low values of the raises.

A few times when holding a straight i am quite certain i am behind to a flush or full house , but call anyway because its only $1.80 to call ( approx £1.20) then end up losing .In  a live tournament or live cash i could easily fold because of the much higher values involved .

Is it best to fold these sort of hands even though it it only £1 or £2 to call?
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:36:46 AM »

Firstly, Live cash is very different to online cash.
Live, people are only playing one table, and probably only 20 - 25 hands per hour.
Therefore, players are more likely to play more hands, rather than sit there folding their lives away.
As a result, people's raise size is greater than it would be online, as they know they are almost always getting a caller anyway.

It is common for players doing ok live, to lose money online. Primarily, this is because online players are more likely to have an understanding of the fundamentals of poker, therefore making games more difficult to beat.

A standard raise size online is probably 3 - 4 BB (yes, you should think in multiples of the BB pre-flop, and bet size compared to the size of the pot post flop, rather than cash values).
Errr towards the top end of this, at the level you are playing.

How much can you call with JJ - it depends what cards you put your opponent on.
If you put them on QQ - AA, then you need to hit to win.
As you only flop a set 1 time in 8, you need to be sure you can win enough on the one time you hit, to offset all of the times that you do not.

If you put them on a much wider range of hands, consider whether a reraise is better.
We want to get money in the pot when we are ahead.
(And fold when we are sure we are behind, in answer to your last point).

Hope this helps. GL.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:55:51 AM »

Thinking about poker in pure money terms is a really bad mindset, everything should be simply thought of in terms of bb's.
acc2020

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »

Am i correct in saying that  with pocket jacks it is call if was 3 blinds to call but a fold if it was 20 blinds to call regardlesss of what level.

therefore @ $1/2  a raise to $6 is a call
              @$0.10/0.20 a raise to $4 a fold (even though its only $4)

i think i am going to find it hard to bin pocket jacks for only $4 but will try.

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »

Am i correct in saying that  with pocket jacks it is call if was 3 blinds to call but a fold if it was 20 blinds to call regardlesss of what level.

therefore @ $1/2  a raise to $6 is a call
              @$0.10/0.20 a raise to $4 a fold (even though its only $4)

i think i am going to find it hard to bin pocket jacks for only $4 but will try.

As with most things in poker, the answer is 'it depends'.

Don't automatically think of calling.............. you have a raise button for a reason.

You have got to pay attention to what your opponents are doing, how often they are raising, how much they are raising, and with which hands. This will help you decide what cards they may be raising with, and therefore what is your best action.

Another thing that matters is stack sizes.

If you, and the other person in the hand are both playing 100BB ($20), and you put them on a hand better than JJ, then you cant to be sure that when you hit, you can win at least 10 times the size of the initial bet, and ideally more.
Therefore if the initial bet is 3 - 5 BB, you are fine to call, if it is 15 - 20BB you are not.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:39:48 AM »

Spend some time reading these threads

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69/micro-stakes-pl-nl/unl-archives-memorable-strategy-threads-430489/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: