blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:17:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  ***THE OFFICIAL TV SHOW THREAD***
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 320 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ***THE OFFICIAL TV SHOW THREAD***  (Read 689743 times)
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: October 18, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »

Bit disappointed with terranova so far but am persevering with it as they have already hinted at several interesting story threads

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »

anyone seen the shield? is it good?

Just me
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 19, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »

the shields really good..tough and gritty police drama..enjoy

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:08 AM »

the shields really good..tough and gritty police drama..enjoy

sighs after breaking bad its the shield then

Just me
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 19, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »

I really enjoyed the Shield but was a little disappointed that the rest of the show wasn't as good as the first 2 seasons.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »

The Shield - I bought the entire series on boxset and after the first episode I thought it was going to be one of the top ten things I had ever watched and, in parts, it is really good but I stalled and haven't gone back to it.  Currently about half way through series 4 and I will watch it all but it is just below HBO/AMC type shows for me.  That said the episode with the kidnapp of the young girl where the storyline revolves around a facial tattoo is probably amongst the best hours, most chilling hours of television I have ever watched.  Only a couple of episodes of the The Wire and Sopranos can really compete with that and the ending of first episode.

Today i had a long-ish journey and knew I would be spending a fair bit of time on trains etc so i thought I would treat myself to the boxset of the 2nd series of Breaking Bad but HMV didn't have it so I decided to take a risk (not that HBO series are ever a massive risk....have I mentioned I am a bit of a HBO fan??) on Carnivale which has been on my list for a while.  Got through 5 hours already and really enjoying it.  Beautifully shot.  I already know I will be buying Series 2.

Has anyone seen Heimat?  It is a German drama series that was apparently on BBC years ago.  Subtitled but everything I have read about it puts it up amongst the greats of all time.  I have heard comparisons made with Our Friends in the North which I still think is a truly stunning piece of work that will probabbly and, sadly, never be matched by the BBC.  Would love views on Heimat if anyone saw it.  I really love great drama and there aren't that many that are considered 'greats' that i haven't seen but the flip side is it is fairly expensive.  Worth the investment?

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »

The Shield is abso immense and pisses on the wire imo. Loved it so much. Watched all 7 through twice.

btw the first ep of Walking Dead season 2, Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick ending to the episode!!! can't wait for next week.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 19, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »

The Shield is abso immense and pisses on the wire imo. Loved it so much. Watched all 7 through twice.

btw the first ep of Walking Dead season 2, Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick ending to the episode!!! can't wait for next week.

GTFO The Wire >>>>>>>>>>>> The Shield ainec

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »

I do now have S1 of Walking Dead on download though Cheesy

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 19, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »

GTFO The Wire >>>>>>>>>>>> The Shield and they aren't even in the same universe

FYP

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 19, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

FYP

Tell me about it, wire = slow, predictable and filmed poorly.

The Shield = POW, KABOOM, YEEEHAAAAH, a thirll a minute.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 19, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »

FYP

The Shield = POW, KABOOM, YEEEHAAAAH, a thirll a minute.

Think you misread his post mate Cheesy

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 19, 2011, 02:48:13 PM »

Have you watched it all?  Slow I would agree with but predictable....really?  I don't think it is fair to compare the two though.  The Shield is an action cop show.  A very good one but a cop show nonetheless.  The Wire is like a great novel.  Despite being set in 21st century Baltimore it could be set anytime in history.  It is about great characters, human flaws, redemption, how repeated generations make the same mistakes as their ancestors.  Is there really a moment as heartbreaking in The Shield as the moment in the Wire when Duqan borrows the money from Prez udner false pretences and you know he is never going to see him again?  The social commentary in The Wire is as relevant as anything I have seen recently and is on a par with Ken Loach films.  Look at what series five says about the corruption in our press long before Hackgate.  Vic Mackey is a great character.  Certainly in the top ten TV characters since 2000 but these two are in the top five of all time imo and this scene is just amazing, it is timeless and will look as good in fifty years as it does now.  It also addresses you poorly filmed point i think:

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »

Every single episode of both, (The Shield twice).

Without putting spoilers for those who haven't watched it, last ep of season 7, The Shield, heartbreaking and breath taking!

It probably boils down to the fact i don't like McNulty, Omar was my fav charachter by a long shot.

Genuinely did find it predictable, but that is probably a testament to how many shows and films i watch, the missus hates it as i pick up on things that seem to be out of place and predict what will happen.

If its charachter pieces you are after watch Boardwalk Empire. Love that and this next season is going to make big waves imo. (also Omar is in it)

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 19, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »

Shield owns all.

But storage wars is fun

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:08:45 PM by Acidmouse » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 320 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: