blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WSOP 2010 Thread. Feed your wild side revisited
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP 2010 Thread. Feed your wild side revisited  (Read 145834 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »

Event #57: $10,000 No-Limit Hold'em Championship

Day 3 Concludes

He's won the WSOP Main Event twice already. Back-to-back, in fact, in 1987 and 1988. And darned near won it in again in 1989, finishing runner-up to Phil Hellmuth.

And now, more than 20 years later, he's back making another Main Event run, having enjoyed the chip lead for much of Day 3. The Orient Express, charging from the past into the WSOP headlines today. Johnny Friggin' Chan.

A number of different storylines wound their way through the Day 3 chapter of our ongoing chronicle of the 2010 WSOP Main Event. The 2,559 players who'd made it to today were swiftly narrowed to less than half that figure -- about 1,240 as the last hands were dealt -- with numerous notables hitting the rail while others began to build those gaudy, passers-by-stopping, eye-popping, jaw-dropping stacks of chips.

Among the first to go today were Scott Seiver, Phil Laak, Jennifer Harman, Chris Moneymaker, David Williams, and Erik Seidel. They were followed by Kara Scott, Bill Chen, Daniel Negreanu, Vanessa Rousso, Joe Cada, Billy Kopp, Eugene Katchalov, John Hennigan, and Archie Karas.

Meanwhile, we saw Alexander Kostritsyn, Kevin Gates, Ricardo Fasanaro, Paul Kristofferson, Chris Tipper, Jeffrey Ross, Nicholas Rainey, Andrew Brown, and James Carroll all taking turns swapping the chip lead back and forth as stacks surged past the 500,000-chip mark.

There was one other interesting subplot from today that all will be watching when play resumes tomorrow. That of the four Mizrachi brothers -- Robert, Eric, Danny, and Michael -- all of whom made it through today. How far will they go?

It looks as though James Carroll will be returning to the biggest stack tomorrow, having snuck past the 800,000-chip mark late in the day, with Imari Love, Gerasimos Deres, Max Casal, Josh Brikis, and Johnny Lodden all not too far behind.

However, much of the talk will be about Chan -- also there near the leaders -- and whether or not he can sustain his performance of the first three days. Adding to the excitement will be the bursting of the cash bubble, which most anticipate will happen later in the day on Day 4.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 13, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »

Players Info

Players Left

Entries

Top Chip Counts

1    James Carroll 803,000
2    Imari Love    741,000
3    Gerasimos Deres    733,700
4    Max Casal    687,200
5    Josh Brikis    669,000
6    Arie Kliper    666,200
7    Andrew Brown 657,700
8    Johnny Lodden 656,400
9    Johnny Chan 636,000
10    Rafal Michalowski    616,800

Brits

top Brit I think is JP Kelly 350,000

Darren Woods 290,000
Praz Banzi 280,000
Dan Carter 150,000
Barney Boatman 80,000
Dave Colclough 79,000
John Shipley 70,000

will add to this list as I discover more names from various sources

My eyes are open wide
Dino

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »

Add Tikay's charges,Sue Norsden 108K, Guy Collins 55K and Tony Stroud 93K
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 14, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »

After three-and-a-half days of play the World Series of Poker Main Event bubble officially burst Tuesday night, and 747 of the 7,319 players that entered were all at least $19,263. The unfortunate bubble boy was Tim McDonald, who does not go home completely empty-handed as he is the first player to have his entry secured for the 2011 WSOP.

"Let's give a nice warm round of applause to Tim McDonald," said Tournament Director Jack Effel moments after McDonald's elimination. "Because of you Tim, 747 players are now all in the money. You, my friend, have an automatic $10,000 entry into the 2011 WSOP Main Event on behalf of the World Series of Poker." Effel continued.

The hand that put the nail in the coffin for McDonald saw Ismail Erkenov open for 10,000 from the hijack seat. McDonald was on the button with only 67,500 chips left in his stack, and he re-raised to 30,000, driving the blinds out of the hand. Erkenov made the call, and the two saw a flop of {a-Clubs}{a-Spades}{2-Diamonds}. Erkenov checked, and when McDonald moved his last 37,500 into the middle, Erkenov quickly called.

McDonald showed absolutely no emotion. He simply rapped the table, and said "Nice hand," before Erkenov even opened his cards. Then McDonald tabled {q-Spades}{q-Clubs}, aces and queens. Erkenov revealed that he hadn't just hit the ace -- he'd also hit the deuce with {a-Hearts}{2-Hearts} for a flopped full house, aces full of deuces.

"You wouldn't have two queens in there, would you?" McDonald asked the dealer. But he seemed resigned to his fate. Things ended swiftly with a {7-Diamonds} on the turn. As McDonald bent down to pick up his possessions, he didn't even notice that the river came a salt-in-wound {q-Hearts}.

McDonald had to wait a few moments to make sure no other player busted. He immediately started texting on his phone, presumably disseminating the bad news. He soon received a call from a gentlleman named "Greg". McDonald answered and simply said, "I'm out."

Once it was determined that no other player busted, the floor staff walked McDonald to the stage in the center of the Amazon Room, and he received a round of applause and his entry for 2011 from Jack Effel.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 14, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »

What a day.

Nearly 12 hours ago, 1,203 poker players made their way through through the doors of the Amazon Room (along with a few dozen who started off in the Pavilion) to begin their quest to make the money.

However, simple arithmetic dictated that about 450 of those hopefuls would be leaving with nothing at all. Some notable players who left the Rio $10,000 lighter include Matt Savage, JJ Liu, Kathy Liebert, Dave Sands, Annie Duke, Barry Greenstein, Adam Junglen, Erica Schoenberg and Robert Varkonyi.

Of course the day has also been full of good news, especially for the 747 who secured themselves a place in the money. The $19,263 awarded to even the lowest cashers is still a significant amount of money to many people, especially those who found themselves in the Main Event after winning satellites, or who stand to cash in lucrative online incentives.

One of the day's biggest highlights was seeing all four Mizrachi brothers make the money. While Eric was the first to go, it's hard for anyone to deny that the Mizrachi clan are having one heck of a Series. Don't count them out just yet, though. Robert, Michael and Danny are still alive and well.

Last year's bubble boy was Kia Hamadani. We're happy to say that he survived well into the money this year. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Tim McDonald, who came in 748th place after his {q-Spades}{q-Clubs} were unable to hold out against the {a-Hearts}{2-Hearts} of Ismail Erkenov. Don't feel too bad for McDonald, though. He'll be back next year with a free entry to the 2011 Main Event as his consolation prize for bubbling.

Some players to keep an eye on for tomorrow include our chip leader Tony Dunst (1,546,000) as well as Phil Galfond (1,392,000), Garrett Adelstein (1,440,000), Duy Le (1,460,000), Theo Jorgensen (1,340,000) and Matt Affleck (1,395,000). Other notables who will be returning include Johnny Chan (1,159,000), Adam Levy (951,000), Alexander Kostritsyn (750,000), Praz Bansi (662,000), Scotty Nguyen (630,000) and Vanessa Selbst (435,000).

Of course, our journey is hardly complete for the 574 players who will be returning tomorrow. They still have to make the final table, and then go on to take it down from there.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 14, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »

Players Info

Players Left

Entries

Average Chip Stack

Total Chips

Top Chip Counts
1    Tony Dunst    1,546,000
2    Duy Le          1,460,000
3    Garrett Adelstein 1,440,000
4    Matt Affleck    1,395,000
5    Phil Galfond    1,392,000
6    Matthew Jarvis    1,373,000
7    Theo Jorgensen    1,343,000
8    Benjamin Statz    1,283,000
9    Bryan Pellegrino    1,240,000
10    Matthew Brown    1,203,000

Some other chip counts

Redmond Lee  1,184,000     
Johnny Chan 1,159,000    
JP Kelly 1,000,000
Johnny Lodden 766,000
Praz Banzi 660,000

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 14, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »

Other Brit chip counts

Jamie Borwn 572,000

John Kabbaj 475,000

Mark Teltscher 476

Darren Woods 387,000

(UK for the WSOP Main) Padraig Parkinson 188,000

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »

Just received word about a rather remarkable WSOP story involving Belgian player Philip Goossens.

Goossens was an online qualifier who made it safely through to day three with 92,400 chips. The story that has been passed on to us, is that Goossens' package with the online poker site only extended until yesterday, and as such we would have to pay out of his own pocket to change his flights and book further accommodation to extend his stay.

Unfortunately Goossens couldn't afford to do that, so instead of seeking some financial assistance from perhaps some friends, family or fellow players, Goossens insted decided to head home, leaving his dead stack to fend for itself.

At the moment his stack is down to 58,900 and it doesn't look like it's going to survive the day.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 14, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

Brit seat draws for Day 5

Table 317
Seat 1: Rafael Sansrodrigo (284000)
Seat 2: Manig Loeser (283000)
Seat 3: Redmond Lee (1184000)
Seat 4: Theodore Mclean (62000)
Seat 5: Adam Levy (1054000)
Seat 6: Vanessa Selbst (397000)
Seat 7: Paul Paris (283000)
Seat 8: Matthew Pearson (320000)
Seat 9: Alexander Purk (225000)

Table 324
Seat 1: Gil Varon (314000)
Seat 2: Paul Weiner (76000)
Seat 3: Damien Luis (919000)
Seat 4: Jonathan Tamayo (163000)
Seat 5: Habib Khanis (220000)
Seat 6: JP Kelly (1000000)
Seat 7: Josue Sauvageau (473000)
Seat 8: Todd Witteles (239000)
Seat 9: Linh Le (769000)

Table 362
Seat 1: Roy Vandersluis (366000)
Seat 2: Terrance Eischens (615000)
Seat 3: Bojan Gledovic (240000)
Seat 4: Lior Barlev (336000)
Seat 5: Praz Bansi (660000)
Seat 6: Daniel Chamberlain (1066000)
Seat 7: Ryan Eriquezzo (1061000)
Seat 8: Vince Van (455000)
Seat 9: Tom Carman (97000)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »

Just received word about a rather remarkable WSOP story involving Belgian player Philip Goossens.

Goossens was an online qualifier who made it safely through to day three with 92,400 chips. The story that has been passed on to us, is that Goossens' package with the online poker site only extended until yesterday, and as such we would have to pay out of his own pocket to change his flights and book further accommodation to extend his stay.

Unfortunately Goossens couldn't afford to do that, so instead of seeking some financial assistance from perhaps some friends, family or fellow players, Goossens insted decided to head home, leaving his dead stack to fend for itself.

At the moment his stack is down to 58,900 and it doesn't look like it's going to survive the day.

He won his seat on bwin, who agreed to extend his hotel but not his flights!

My eyes are open wide
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »

I was going to say it's probably a good idea to name and shame the poker site.

More relevantly than asking for financial assistance from, "friends, family or fellow players", I'm sure a different poker site would have been more than happy to make the most of this opportunity.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 14, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »

Sick

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:04 AM »

Sick

Apparently it was on the players to book their flights with the money they were given as part of their prize.  He didn't book a long enough stay so it was up to him to eat the cost of changing his flights.  Which he refused to do.

Translated quote from his facebook page:

Dear Friends, the Vegas adventure is over and thanks a lot for all the great support! I left the tournament with my head up high, I couldn't do anything different (out of money, clothes, need to arrange a new flight, work, everyone back home and off course my girlfriend) and surviving day three would be really really tough en I don't want to spend 1000 euro's on that. It was a GREAT! experience (pics will follow).

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

bwin's line was that they would have to pay out for all their other qualifiers if they paid for him. fair but ridic short sighted with a player deep

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »

I cant even comprehend what he has done, surely its never been 1000 euros to change a flight date, pretty sure his girlfriend would be happier if he came back two days later with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 to take her on holiday instead of obviously being a busto bloke with no common sense?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: