blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272633 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The Road To Recovery
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Road To Recovery  (Read 41922 times)
LeedsRhodesy

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »

What was the email address it was sent from?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »

What kind of job was it that stated that they didn't want people that have suffered from manic depression or schizophrenia?

it was a blanket exclusion for all applications to work in that particular department including admin posts etc

Aren't the only reasons legally allowed for discrimination if you can reasonably demonstrate that it will interfere with the job?

And with the Disability Discrimination Act enforcing 'reasonably adjustments', even that's a bit hazy.

Obviously there may be specific exemptions for various mental illness - but it definitely doesn't sound legal.

it's a bit of a grey area - I'm sure to be allowed to have put that on the website they must have sought some kind of advice on the legality of it as far as associated risks with those conditions are concerned.  It's being investigated by the people at Time to Change and Mind anyway, but would be interesting to see what justification they would come up with if subjected to a legal challenge.

It's a mistake to make this assumption

But I was going to say, if a part of the government (or any sufficiently large organisation) makes a mistake like that it really needs an organisation to challenge it rather than any individual so it's good to hear that that's being done.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »

To be honest, I really couldn't give a toss about anonymous emails, they are treated exactly the same as the ones from Nigerian doctors and fund managers wanting to give me vast sums of money.

If someone is capable of typing and sending an email like that, then perhaps they need to think about their own mental state.

So case closed on that one.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »

Kev - if someone is depressed should you continue to treat them as you normally would or should you act differently? For example if they have done something wrong should you tell them/discuss it with them or is it better to let it go? Does treating them differently than you normally would help or hinder? Thanks.

Very tough question as everyone is different, thats the problem with the word "depression" it is used as an umbrella to attach a label to an illness which has differing effects depending on each individuals personality.

If a depressive has done something wrong, be very careful how you approach it, do not make it seem as though they have fucked up, they feel that about themselves already and do not need it confirming by anyone else. Maybe a good thing to do would be to speak to them about it but offering help with a solution to the mistake they have made, make it constructive, but friendly.

Bainn
The Preacher

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »

The po po?

Yo yo is that the po po. I got this e-mail, someone on the internet said something mean to me and... click... hello? Hello?

If you can find out who it is then happy days, you know who the douschebag was but the po po?

My bad, I was thinking it could be dealt with in a similar manner to malicious 'phone calls.

"Decerno, exsequor"

"It's nothing personal, just business."
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »

That email has got to me a little, I would hate for anyone to think it's a "poor me, give me symapthy" blog. If I had wanted that I would have gone public a long time before I did, I purposely waited until I had secure acommodation before making my circumstances known ... prior to that only a few people had the blog addy and that is what I wanted.

As much as I hate to give the peasant who sent that email the satisfaction of knowing that it has got to me a little, I have to admit it has.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2010, 05:33:37 PM »

Kev mate,please pay no thought to that email it's 99.999% likely to be from some 15year old keyboard warrior who has absolutely no clue.I've read the blog and in no way does it come across like your looking for sympathy.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »

Fk em Kev, they're a twunt.

If you still have the email and you want a hand tracing them, copy and paste all of the headers from the email. It's the bit that looks like this that is needed.

Delete the bits that include your email address before you post it. I've replaced my email address with xxx below.

Received: from gwh-1.gradwell.net (gwh-1.gradwell.net [195.74.61.91])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id o83si8245347wej.98.2010.07.14.08.41.41;
        Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 195.74.61.91 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of ec@egg.com) client-ip=195.74.61.91;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 195.74.61.91 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of ec@egg.com) smtp.mail=ec@egg.com
X-Envelope-To: xxx
X-Forwarding-To: xxx
Delivered-To: xxx
Received: from Not Available Received Via Mail 1.5 ([212.11.70.2] helo=inbound-queue-2.mail.thdo.gradwell.net country=GB)
          by gwh-1.gradwell.net with esmtp (Gradwell gwh-smtpd 1.290) id 4c3ddab5.3a88.23d
          for xxx; Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:41:41 +0100
          (envelope-sender <ec@egg.com>)
Received: from localhost.localdomain (bonnie.gradwell.net [212.11.70.2])
   by inbound-queue-2.mail.thdo.gradwell.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 04CF61FB89
   for <xxx>; Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:41:41 +0100 (BST)
Received: from Unknown (HELO dg.pesi.com.tw) (211.148.152.114)
    by inbound-edge-9.mail.thdo.gradwell.net (qpsmtpd/0.83) with ESMTP; Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:41:40 +0100
Received: from User ([109.144.216.214])
          by dg.pesi.com.tw (Lotus Domino Release 6.5.2)
          with ESMTP id 2010071423354088-28021 ;
          Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:35:40 +0800
TightPaulFolds

Not a moderator in any fashion whatsoever

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »

Just write down the reasons you had for writing the blog, it wasn't for sympathy.

Some very messed up people out there, the only way they can write that thing is if there is something so wrong with them that they get some relief in hurting others, very sad.

""Well I was bullied at school, called all kinds of different names. But one day I turned to my bullies and said - 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me', and it worked! From there on it was sticks and stones all the way.""
Harry Hill.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

There's no shame in admitting it got to you Kev - it's still a really short time since you were at rock bottom, and I know from experience it really doesn't take much to drag up all the insecurities and make you feel really down on yourself again.  I remember once when I was going through a pretty rough patch of depression I was walking to work and not really paying attention crossing the road as my mind was all over the place. I walked right in front of a cyclist who had to swerve to miss me and she shouted at me 'fucking idiot' (as you probably would).  That tiny comment from a total stranger that should not have meant anything had me sat against a wall on the pavement bawling my eyes out and I took it as confirmation that every bad thing I thought about myself must be true.

Accept the way it's made you feel, realise that's human, then try to focus on some positive things like all the comments you've had on this thread from people that think you're a top bloke.  After that, remember that it's because of people and attitudes like that that what you're doing is a great thing.

xxx

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »

Just had a call from the night shelter, they are having their AGM tomorrow, and I have been invited to attend with a view to being elected to the council !! ... blimey Smiley

The Captain

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »

Reading this absolute load of cobblers made me so depressed last night that I called Lifeline. They've got a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

PETROL !

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »

Just had a call from the night shelter, they are having their AGM tomorrow, and I have been invited to attend with a view to being elected to the council !! ... blimey Smiley

nice one kev thumbs up

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2010, 07:27:48 PM »

goldstar

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »

That email has got to me a little, I would hate for anyone to think it's a "poor me, give me symapthy" blog. If I had wanted that I would have gone public a long time before I did, I purposely waited until I had secure acommodation before making my circumstances known ... prior to that only a few people had the blog addy and that is what I wanted.

As much as I hate to give the peasant who sent that email the satisfaction of knowing that it has got to me a little, I have to admit it has.
Don't let shite like that get to you Kev. That sender is 1% bad out of 99% good feed back you have had, ignore the saddo. He/she doesn't understand a community that comes together when one of us needs a little help.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: