blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Small Dilemma
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small Dilemma  (Read 3481 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

One of my cousin's (13) added me on facebook a few months back and at first I didn't really pay attention but on his wall he posts a lot of status updates. He's very intelligent - I guess you could call him a little on the geeky side.

His wall lately has been filled with the same 2 or 3 boys posting nothing but non-stop abuse. Really nasty comments.

I phoned him to see if he was ok and he said 'yeah, I'm not the only one they do it to', but it's just way OTT. There's gentle ribbing but this seems like outright bullying and despite having his own unique interests and style I'm worried that little arseholes like these kids might affect him as he's going through the whole growing up phase atm.

I offered to take him to the cinema this weekend as a bit of a diversion for him and maybe also to subtly ask him about these kids.

I don't really want him to feel I'm betraying his trust by telling his parents but at the same time I don't want to let it go on.

What would you do?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:38:29 PM »

Wouldn't worry about betraying his trust. Tell his parents to look at facebook, which at 13 they should be doing anyway imo. Let them decide if anything needs to be done.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
LeedsRhodesy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »

Wouldn't worry about betraying his trust. Tell his parents to look at facebook, which at 13 they should be doing anyway imo. Let them decide if anything needs to be done.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not this, The last thing you want at 13 is your mum looking at your facebook and ringing up there mums and dads it will make it 100% worst, i would just keep an eye on it for now  maybe leave a comment under one they the bullys and say something!!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

Yeah, get involved.  Don't worry about sticking your nose in where it's not wanted.

I typed that sincerely, then realised what I'd said.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not this, The last thing you want at 13 is your mum looking at your facebook and ringing up there mums and dads it will make it 100% worst, i would just keep an eye on it for now  maybe leave a comment under one they the bullys and say something!!

That's not what i meant Rhodesy, I meant, tell them your concerns, tell them to look at facebook, his wall etc. Then they can assess if there is anything to worry about, i.e has he changed in the way he acts recently, strange behaviour, coming home upset, any signs of bullying that they may not have noticed before? I didn't mean find out names and addresses of the people and start banging on doors ffs.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »

One of my cousin's (13) added me on facebook a few months back and at first I didn't really pay attention but on his wall he posts a lot of status updates. He's very intelligent - I guess you could call him a little on the geeky side.

His wall lately has been filled with the same 2 or 3 boys posting nothing but non-stop abuse. Really nasty comments.

I phoned him to see if he was ok and he said 'yeah, I'm not the only one they do it to', but it's just way OTT. There's gentle ribbing but this seems like outright bullying and despite having his own unique interests and style I'm worried that little arseholes like these kids might affect him as he's going through the whole growing up phase atm.

I offered to take him to the cinema this weekend as a bit of a diversion for him and maybe also to subtly ask him about these kids.

I don't really want him to feel I'm betraying his trust by telling his parents but at the same time I don't want to let it go on.

What would you do?

Add them on facebook, and turn the bullying back on them viral internet styly
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »

As rhodesy said, I'd probably start by replying to a comment or two and seeing if it helps to put them in their place.  If not, agree with Vinny - have a word with his parents who can perhaps chat to him about choosing his friends or something.

the other thing to bear in mind is that there might be a bit of a generational thing here - what you see as way ott might just be normal banter to these kids

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »

Proceed with caution.  You need to make sure it isn't just a bit of banter amongst their group first. 

If it isn't just banter, then you need to remember 13 year old bullies reckon they're invincible.  They're smart enough to know the law of the land is on their side and will only get worse if they see they're getting a 'reasonable' reaction. 

This is why your reaction must be totally mental.  IE, they have to reckon you're crazy enough to have a total disregard for said laws and will follow through on any verbals you've thrown their way.  Basically, you have to throw out one hell of a convincing bluff and possibly even involve their parents.  Then hope the whole lot don't call that bluff.  Twice my kids have been involved in bullying.  Both times it never lasted more than 48 hours from once I found out.  Now the whole lot are friends. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:12:24 PM »

Get Barry Neville to become Facebook friends with the bullies.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »

Be there for him if he wants to talk, if he asks for help etc then go for it, but dont tell his parents unless he wants you to.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »

This - if they are bullies dish out their names - fb 'friend' requests from Booder, Laz, & Kev and polite requests to wind their neck in should scare the living shite out of them Cheesy

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »

no point it making any threats, total waste of time and would prob make it worse.  I would speak to him about it, maybe tell him you've been through it (white lie - although with a nose like that you must have had some stick in your day) at least then he may open up and talk about it.  If it really doesnt bother him then problem solved but if it is worrying him take it from there.

Telling his parents won't help imo however if its very bad then maybe they should be told, if you can find out the extent of it first you will be in a much better position.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »

lol, this

oh, so this

Best QM ever

FACT !
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »

Just realised I had made light of a serious thread, i would go along with the suggestion of posting some comments back, nothing heavy, just a "back off" type comment and see what develops from there

Best QM ever

FACT !
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »

Report the abuse to Facebook!

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: