blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:41:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  UKIPT Brighton thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UKIPT Brighton thread  (Read 20553 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »

End of day 2
Players: 13 from 259

Player   Country   Status   Chip Count
Andy Youens   United Kingdom   PokerStars Qualifier   621500
Waseem Ahmed   United Kingdom      389000
Jonathan Spinks   United Kingdom   PokerStars Qualifier   361000
David Gant   United Kingdom   PokerStars Qualifier   360000
William Beauchamp   United Kingdom      357000
Jamie Burland   United Kingdom   PokerStars Qualifier   310000
Tomas Cibak   Czech Republic   PokerStars Qualifier   307000
Ben Martin   United Kingdom   PokerStars Player   247000
Bill Seber   United States   PokerStars Qualifier   204000
Anthony Lee   United Kingdom      196000
Steven Thompson   Costa Rica   PokerStars Qualifier   180000
Jonathan Campbell   United Kingdom   PokerStars qualifier   151000
Dimps Maker   United Kingdom      13100

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »

14. Oliver Price, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £3,350
15. Sam Grafton, UK - £3,350
16. Richard Taylor, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £2,850
17. Sid Harris, UK - £2,850
18. Rupinder Bedi, UK - £2,850
19. Rick Glading, UK - £2,450
20. Marius Lietuvninkas, Lithuania, PokerStars player - £2,450
21. Dave Maudlin - £2,450
22. Kirit Patel, UK - £2,200
23. Liam Flood, Ireland - £2,200
24. Ian Woodley, UK - £2,200
25. Malte Pross, Germany, PokerStars player - £1,950
26. Jack McDermott, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £1,950
27. Jean-Nicolas Fortin, Canada, PokerStars qualifier - £1,950
28: Sunil Moti - £1,700
29. Glen Storey, UK - £1,700
30. Joe Drummy, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £1,700
31. Neil Channing, UK - £1,700
32. Nikolaos Domestinis, Greece - £1,700

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

by Rick Dacey  on July 17, 2010 6:59 PM

Who would have ever thought that sitting down and playing cards could be such an endurance sport? Surely folding cards and riffling chips shouldn't be that energy sapping, should it? Apparently so and it's no surprise considering day 2 played down from 104 players to a plucky and lucky 13 by way of a punishing eleven one-hour levels.

And after the blood, sweat and tears we were left with one man standing clean above the others. And that man was Andy Youens whose stack of 621,000 is towering some way above Waseem Ahmed's second place 389,000 hoard. The 28-year old senior sales advisor for Bose has been playing since 2005 is a semi-pro player who readily admits that he ran like God today cracking all kinds of hands from behind. It was one of Youens' outdraws that put UK face Neil Channing out of the tournament in 31st. He was one of the first to fall post-bubble when he got Q♠Q♥ in against Youens A♥8♦ on a 8♣9♠9♣ flop. As you can probably guess by now Youens hit one of his outs and Channing was left to go and play £5-£10 cash games with James Dempsey and co (they couldn't find a bigger game).

Fellow Vic regular and Team PokerStars Pro Vicky Coren came so close to the money but failed to win a vital flip with A♦J♦ to Sunil Moti's small pocket pair. It's always tough but Coren must have felt the bite a little keener than usual due to post-Las Vegas jetlag. There always has to be a bubble boy and that was Daniel Rudd in level 14 who had to get it in with jack-queen and couldn't better a naked ace. Players to fall within the money include Marius Lietuvninkas who, we think, has taken the top spot of the UKIPT Leaderboard nudging ahead of Mike Hill. Rupinder Bedi can't be far behind with his 18th place finish. Confirmation of that all to come. Lietuvninkas had been keeping a careful eye on the points and was unlucky to go out when he did.

Notable players to fall include Sam Grafton had been great to watch at the tables, if not painful thanks to his hoodie. He'd played some great poker and talked a great game but will be left regretting passing one hand particularly against Bill Seber, who is still in the race with 204,000. The Texan grinder has $481,107 of live cashes to his name and obviously had more weapons in his arsenal than Grafton gave him credit for after check-raising the turn and bluffing the river of a Q♦3♦8♦9♣A♣ board with 6♠7♠. Grafton had sped away before Seber even showed his bluff but I'm sure he would have heard the laughter from the table.

My eyes are open wide
OJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »

Im still in. sittn on about 110k.
The way it looks this is never guna last until Monday imo. Both day 1's jus rushed thru the field and only jus over 100 left goin into day 2.
brings back memories from nottingham finishing an entire day early...lol

Far too many brags in this post for my liking Cheesy

hahaha what happend to:

"If you are playing, please post how you get on, cheers"

Me: wow 21k with 82% fav is by far the most expensive bad beat i've taken so far...

Tim: its a 17k bad beat, tops, he's got some equity with the Q. I might be drunk but I'm not stupid.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »

Im still in. sittn on about 110k.
The way it looks this is never guna last until Monday imo. Both day 1's jus rushed thru the field and only jus over 100 left goin into day 2.
brings back memories from nottingham finishing an entire day early...lol

Far too many brags in this post for my liking Cheesy

hahaha what happend to:

"If you are playing, please post how you get on, cheers"

Good point- how did u get on yesteday?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Turophile

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »

Gl JC Spice. Take this down!

"Playing to you courtesy of a piece of palm tree that I ate, I asked for lobster tail, and they brought me palm tree, piece of palm tree. Yeah really. That's all."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 09:26:50 AM »

result

1. Jamie Burland, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £65,400
2. Tomas Cibak, Czech, PokerStars qualifier - £40,100
3. Bill Seber, USA, PokerStars qualifier - £24,600
4. William Beauchamp, UK - £18,100
5. John Spinks, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £15,000
6. Waseem Ahmed, UK - £12,400
7. Andy Youens, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £9,850
8. Jonathan Campbell, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £7,750
9. David Gant, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £5,550
10. Anthony Lee, UK - £4,450
11. Stephen Thompson, Costa Rica, PokerStars qualifier - £4,450
12. Dimps Maker UK - £3,900
13 Ben Martin, UK, PokerStars player - £3,900
14. Oliver Price, UK, PokerStars qualifier - £3,350
15. Sam Grafton, UK - £3,350

If the UKIPT Brighton was to be decided on the sharpest suit of the tournament then Jamie Burland would have been a direct frontrunner for the title - probably rivalled by some little chequered number sported by Paul Parker. As it was the £1,000 main event was contested over twenty-six hard one-hour levels of no-limit Hold'em and, as it turns out, Burland was pretty heavyweight when it came to that too. Although he wasn't a runaway chipleader at any point Burland was solid throughout and never seemed too far from the top of the pack.

It was quite some final table, perhaps the toughest the UKIPT has seen and although it was Burland that ended up on top there were a number of players deserving of the title (of which Burland was definitely one). Despite my talking up of the standard of play the first fall was quite straightforward with Jonathan Campbell's short stack shove with K♥9♥ being looked up by Tomas Cibak's A♥8♥. After that everything got a lot more intriguing and by the time the action was five-handed it was hard for anyone on the rail to tear themselves away. Burland's pack were there throughout - well oiled and vociferous in their support for their man to the bitter glorious end. Nottingham UKIPT runner-up Owen Robinson and Neil Channing were never far away from their man either. One would think they had a percentage of him...

Burland and co hit the champagne shortly after his win but we still had enough time to collar him for a quick interview. 'One hundred percent I thought that Tomas was the biggest threat as I'd played with him a lot of yesterday and I was glad that I had position on him,' admitted Burland. 'I knew Tomas liked to play big pots so I wanted to take some flops with him to limit the amount of chips that went in pre-flop.' It was a strategy that worked well with the Brit flopping a huge two-pair with Q♥4♥ on a Q♠7♦4♠ flop against Cibak's T♠8♠ flush draw. It all went in and Burland faded the draw to take the title to a near-deafening cheer and more jumping around than a House of Pain concert. The low stakes grinder also issued a warning to Marius Lietuvninkas, Mike Hill, Rupinder Bedi and the other top dogs of the leaderboard that he was out to win that too. You have officially been served.

The final five players were a great mix with four young online players and one wildcard in the form of American 63-year-old Bill Seber. To most Seber was an American tourist here for a bit of fun. Not so. Today's £24,600 score tips Buffalo Bill's live winnings over the half-a-million dollar mark and many underestimated him to their peril. In what could well be the hand of the tournament Seber bluffed Sam Grafton off a large pot deep into the money causing the Gutshot player to storm away from the table. 'He's not good enough to make that bluff,' Grafton was heard saying to someone on the rail. Oh yes, it seems that he was with Seber bluffing seven-high on a board of terrifying proportions. Never judge an old(er) Texan on appearances alone. Seber eventually lost a huge flip three-handed to Burland with 9♥9♠ losing out to A♥T♠. It was a massive and emotional pot that effectively set up the heads up between Burland and the hyper-aggressive Tomas Cibak.

Second place finisher Tomas Cibak (£40,100) has heart, miles and miles of the stuff in fact. If we could have tracked his three- and four-betting percentages they would have been, well, quite simply terrifying. The Czech was a constant threat at the final table and always looked likely for a top three finish. The twenty-year-old Cibak qualified online at PokerStars and you certainly shouldn't bet against him becoming a regular fixture on this tour. 'I'm really happy with how I played,' he told us. 'I got chips by three-betting and four-betting pre-flop and avoiding all-in showdowns. The structure was good and I'll probably play in Edinburgh.' I think that after bagging £40,100 we can all take that 'probably' and turn it into a 'definitely.'

Cibak was the player that asked the most questions and had the most amount of players mucking their hand in frustration with day 2 chipleader Andy Youens one player that will be praying that Cibak won't be turning up at his next table with the big Czech on his left. Very well played, sir. Find us for a beer in Edinburgh.

Liam Flood lost a large key pot at the UKIPT Killarney to eventual winner Femi Fakinle and the Irish legend did the same to Burland here in Brighton. 'Liam raised the button, I three-bet from the big blind and he called. The flop was 3♦7♣6♥ I bet, he shoved, I called. He had pocket fours, I had pocket jacks and held, that set me up for the rest of day two,' recounts Burland. The turn and river were the K♣ and A♣. If you want to win the UKIPT Edinburgh then you simply need to bust up Flood in a major pot on the run in to the money. Sorry, Liam, we've effectively put a hefty price on your head.

Although thirteen players came back today to play down to a winner everyone's initial thoughts were on making the final table but there were only eight spots there so we had to lose Ben Martin, Dimps Maker, Steve Thompson, Tony Lee and David Gant. It was a shame to lose them but it's tough on any player to get this close and not make that final playing platform. We salute those players and Steve Thompson particularly for coming all the way from Costa Rica and being such a nice guy (note to his wife: he did not say he didn't like your present, he was talking about coffee).

www.pokerstarsblog.com

My eyes are open wide
El Sid

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »

Seemed to keep getting moved next to, Costa Rican Steve Thompson, absolutely lovely guy who's taking his 1 year old son to Disneyland this week, hope he has a marvellous time.  As for Jamie Birland, brilliant strategist, who sized polts up to the Dinar, totally deserved. There were one or two, chipped up, characters dressed as avatars who deservedly never made the final table, they got a little drunk with power coming into the straight. The track at Brighton has to be negotiated carefully as the reverse camber can be disconcerting, if a jockey can't change gear, he will find himself running backwards. Jamie took a hefty bad beat early on, and I could see by his demeanour that he was a journeyman who was going to be their for the duration. El Sid.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »

Seemed to keep getting moved next to, Costa Rican Steve Thompson, absolutely lovely guy who's taking his 1 year old son to Disneyland this week, hope he has a marvellous time.  As for Jamie Birland, brilliant strategist, who sized polts up to the Dinar, totally deserved. There were one or two, chipped up, characters dressed as avatars who deservedly never made the final table, they got a little drunk with power coming into the straight. The track at Brighton has to be negotiated carefully as the reverse camber can be disconcerting, if a jockey can't change gear, he will find himself running backwards. Jamie took a hefty bad beat early on, and I could see by his demeanour that he was a journeyman who was going to be their for the duration. El Sid.

Post more, write more. You possess high-class pennage.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
El Sid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

Thank's Tikay, Just had a report from my man on the spot that some llifeless twat had his head resting on the table - eye level - with the cards being dealt, I don't just blame the inspector for allowing this, the minute this happened the rest of the players should have risen up to a man, and hurled the little blighter over the balcony. As everyone knows - I'm not a violent man - but sometimes it's called for. El Sid.
P.S. Not used to writing without renumeration, it's an odd thing to do.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »

You'll get used to it on here Mr El.

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »

Thank's Tikay, Just had a report from my man on the spot that some llifeless twat had his head resting on the table - eye level - with the cards being dealt, I don't just blame the inspector for allowing this, the minute this happened the rest of the players should have risen up to a man, and hurled the little blighter over the balcony. As everyone knows - I'm not a violent man - but sometimes it's called for. El Sid.

Do you refer to that peculiar individual in Luton last night, & if so, how you know that, may I make so bold as to enquire?

You tell me your source, & I'll tell you the story.

He was a complete & utter headcase. I witnessed something at a poker Table last night I've never seen in 12 years or more. And he repeated the same party trick 6 or 7 times.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
El Sid

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:37 PM »

To Tikay: No this individual was in Brighton, maybe there's more than one of them, they all chat among themselves so much that any bad idea gets taken up immediately. El Sid
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »

To Tikay: No this individual was in Brighton, maybe there's more than one of them, they all chat among themselves so much that any bad idea gets taken up immediately. El Sid

It can ONLY be the same man.

Wearing a whistle, was he?

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

Do you refer to that peculiar individual in Luton last night, & if so, how you know that, may I make so bold as to enquire?

You tell me your source, & I'll tell you the story.

He was a complete & utter headcase. I witnessed something at a poker Table last night I've never seen in 12 years or more. And he repeated the same party trick 6 or 7 times.

what was he actually doing whilst staring down into his lap?  Or are you referring to someone/something else?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: