blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  3 peaks
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 peaks  (Read 3593 times)
ACE2M

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »

I'm doing the 24hr/3 peaks challenge from 9am saturday morning. We are just doing it for kicks but everyone assumes we must be doing it for charity and so work colleagues and friends are randomly donating money to a couple of charities i favour - oxfam and wateraid.

Anyone feeling flush or charitable then feel free to donate some money to either of these charities how ever you wish on the slim excuse of barely knowing someone doing something midly extreme.....

this maybe my last post ever as a heart attack seems likely given my endurance fitness levels being non existent.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:41:33 PM »

I'm doing the 24hr/3 peaks challenge from 9am saturday morning. We are just doing it for kicks but everyone assumes we must be doing it for charity and so work colleagues and friends are randomly donating money to a couple of charities i favour - oxfam and wateraid.

Anyone feeling flush or charitable then feel free to donate some money to either of these charities how ever you wish on the slim excuse of barely knowing someone doing something midly extreme.....

this maybe my last post ever as a heart attack seems likely given my endurance fitness levels being non existent.

Good luck!!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »

Good luck!!

& bye

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »

I have just driven this for friends last weekend. Let me know if you want hints tips times etc. Btw they recommend starting ben Nevis at 5 pm so perhaps relook at your timings and stuff

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:54 PM »

I have just driven this for friends last weekend. Let me know if you want hints tips times etc. Btw they recommend starting ben Nevis at 5 pm so perhaps relook at your timings and stuff

What was your route/rough times?  Out of interest please.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »

No probs

5pm  - start at Ben Nevis (glen nevis visitor cntre car park)
10pm - finished walk - packed up and set off to Scafell Pike
3/4am - arrive at Scafell and try and start walk by 4am -

(this is one of your main issues - one of the walks has to be in the dark, and it is recommended that this is the one - dont forget your head torches!!!!!!!)

8am -  set off up snowdown

12noon - be ready to take a flyer at snowdon - you are very unlikely to get car parking at Pen y Pass and therefore have to poark and ride - therefore must allocate another 30 mins into your journey

FInsih 3-4 - wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - booze

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »

No probs

(this is one of your main issues - one of the walks has to be in the dark, and it is recommended that this is the one - dont forget your head torches!!!!!!!)

12noon - be ready to take a flyer at snowdon - you are very unlikely to get car parking at Pen y Pass and therefore have to poark and ride - therefore must allocate another 30 mins into your journey

We are leaving stoke at 9am so that ties in with your timings a bit better.

What was the general level of fitness of your group? did they struggle?
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

parking at pen y pass is no issue as long as you have a dedicated driver which presumably you have or this whole things gonna be a nightmare. they drop you off at the carpark and then go and park up a mile or so down the hill. by the time everyone's finishing there should be parking spaces from the people who set off in the morning

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »

parking at pen y pass is no issue as long as you have a dedicated driver which presumably you have or this whole things gonna be a nightmare. they drop you off at the carpark and then go and park up a mile or so down the hill. by the time everyone's finishing there should be parking spaces from the people who set off in the morning

some drivers llike to walk snowdon with the team - although i accept thats kinda presumptuous on my behalf

outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »

No probs

We are leaving stoke at 9am so that ties in with your timings a bit better.

What was the general level of fitness of your group? did they struggle?

you need to be fit  - but not ironman!

preparation is as much the key

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

some drivers llike to walk snowdon with the team - although i accept thats kinda presumptuous on my behalf

ah, in that case you're right about the parking issue. no way you're getting in the carpark at midday

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »

if you're staying in betwys y coed after snowdon you could do worse than book a table here for your dinner

http://www.tygwynhotel.co.uk

food is awesome and portions are abs huge, perfect for recovering from climbing mountains

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

how did this go?

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 09:47:20 AM »

how did this go?

Went well, its pretty tough but it was mainly lack of sleep that was the problem. Had an exciting race against time at the end because of traffic in wales so we had to jog down most of snowdon but we made it with 20 mins to spare.

If anyone does it beware the first hour going up ben nevis, thats the hardest bit of the lot and there were a lot of concerned faces thinking there's no way i can do 3 of these if its all like this.

This is coming down Ben Nevis in the evening -

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »

How did you navigate? (While on foot) GPS? Map & compass? All three? Did you have any problems finding your way on the mountains or were there big well worn obvious trails?. How did you know where to start and finish?

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: