blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 10:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The DTD Grand Prix 29th-31st Oct 2010...Record Breaking Comp?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The DTD Grand Prix 29th-31st Oct 2010...Record Breaking Comp?  (Read 47451 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »

And good point. If it is online only and all money goes into our online accounts then why isn't it advertised in €?

Blue text
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

Maybe I worded it wrong. I'm not questioning the fact that we are overpaying buying in via €. We are doing obv. But we're not overpaying as far as DTD are concerned so don't expect to be getting the extra £4 back.

so that actually makes it irrelevant whether there`s an overlay or not. the extra isn`t going into the prize pool anyway because dtd don`t get it

to buy in I have to convert £ into € which are then converted back into £ and I have no choice but to do this

if I cash will my £ win be converted to € so that I have to convert back to £ to cash out so I lose out on 4 different currency exchanges overall? or is it paid in £ so I only lose out when buying in? I assume it`s the second option but I`m a touch confused now

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »

Maybe I worded it wrong. I'm not questioning the fact that we are overpaying buying in via €. We are doing obv. But we're not overpaying as far as DTD are concerned so don't expect to be getting the extra £4 back.

so that actually makes it irrelevant whether there`s an overlay or not. the extra isn`t going into the prize pool anyway because dtd don`t get it

to buy in I have to convert £ into € which are then converted back into £ and I have no choice but to do this

if I cash will my £ win be converted to € so that I have to convert back to £ to cash out so I lose out on 4 different currency exchanges overall? or is it paid in £ so I only lose out when buying in? I assume it`s the second option but I`m a touch confused now

As am I after reading that Smiley

Blue text
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »

What if you cash? Will you be getting extra when you cash out?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
duncthehat
25 years married to a EU Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »

All is said was it cost me £61!!!!  Dont mind paying the extra juice as it is the same for everyone and agree the money is lost and there will be an overlay and I appreciate what Rob is trying to do and do hope they break the record.   Also personally dont mind the fact it is online buy in only.   Means numbers will be down (i know of 3 that arent bothering) on what they could be and means a higher overlay.  So on a personal greed note it is good!!.

Will be interesting to see if you lose out again when cashing and then withdrawing the money from your dtd account.

Would I have marketed the event differently - yes , but thats just personal opinion

Fighting for EU Citizens Resident in the UK #RightToStay
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »

I'll be honest my main concern with buying in online was always the x-rates that we are going to get.

If I buy £50 worth of $$ on stars and then cash straight out I'll probably only get £45 back.

Is it going to be the same here?

DTD won't gain anything, I won't gain anything, but will net-teller or whoever it is gain?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »

I'll be honest my main concern with buying in online was always the x-rates that we are going to get.

If I buy £50 worth of $$ on stars and then cash straight out I'll probably only get £45 back.

DTD won't gain anything, I won't gain anything, but will net-teller or whoever it is gain?

The cash in and cash out rates are the same at any moment in time, they will only be influenced by a change in the rate if that happens.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »

The cash in and cash out rates are the same at any moment in time, they will only be influenced by a change in the rate if that happens.

So whoever wins has to gamble on when's the best time to withdraw their winnings to take into account the strength of the £/€.   Just to cross-thread, when leaving a tip will they be leaving it in Euros or pounds... Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »

Is this just on DTD or are you saying stars / FT etc. are as well.

I've just checked FT. If i buy $50 right now it's going to cost me £31.53

If I withdraw the same $50 I get £31.22 back

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »

Is this just on DTD or are you saying stars / FT etc. are as well.

I've just checked FT. If i buy $50 right now it's going to cost me £31.53

If I withdraw the same $50 I get £31.22 back

Mmm, stars and tilt do it. Maybe DTD are different.............

Thats about a 1% difference right? I won't lose too much sleep over that personally........
geordieneil
we are we are we are the mods

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »

the buy in is online only, buying in is euro's only, if you cash its into ur online account  .....so why didnt they make the prizes euro's only ....seems logical and would of saved a lot of grief imho
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »

Mmm, stars and tilt do it. Maybe DTD are different.............

Thats about a 1% difference right? I won't lose too much sleep over that personally........

I think stars are a little bit worse tbh.

It's not a problem I guess but if you happen to bink 1st for say 14k you lose £140. Hardly pocket change.

The way I see it is this:

The comp is advertised as £58. 1st place will be approx £14k. That's a 241x return on your money

If it actually costs £61 and you only cashout 13860 your return is 227x your buy in.

It's not insignificant. You're effectively losing 14 x £58 if you win which is £812.

None of this will stop me playing I'm just saying it's not insignificant amounts and it's all caused by the online buy in.

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »

OKAY.

1. £8 REG FEE LESS GAMING TAX = A BOWL OF RICE FOR DUSK TILL DAWN FOR DEALING A 45 MINUTE CLOCK WITH 10K CHIPS FOR 3 DAYS

2. 99% OF AN OVERLAY I THINK

3. NICK HAS SAID TO ME THAT IF ANYONE WANTS THEIR £2 BACK DUE TO EXCHANGE RATE MOVEMENTS HE WILL REFUND IT, GIVE HIM A NUDGE ON THE DAY YOU PLAY AND HE WILL SORT IT

4. SO FAR THIS YEAR, WE HAVE LOST £20K ON EXCHANGE RATE MOVEMENTS FROM ONLINE SATELITTES ALONE, IN SIMPLE TERMS, THAT HAS GONE TO THE PLAYERS

5. AGREED, IF WE EVER DO THIS AGAIN, NEXT TIME WE SET GTE AND REG FEE IN EUROS

HONESTLY GUYS, I FIND SOME OF THESE COMMENTS A BIT ANNOYING, I DON'T GET A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND FORCE YOU TO COME TO THE CLUB DO I, ITS A FREE WORLD, ANYONE WOULD THINK I KNEW THE EXCHANGE RATES WOULD CHANGE.

HAPPY DAYS.

ROB

PS. NICK, ALEX AND TRUMPS WILL PROBABLY GIVE ME A BOLLOCKING FOR POSTING THIS, BUT **** IT.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:38:38 PM by robyong » Logged
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

OKAY.

1. £8 REG FEE LESS GAMING TAX = A BOWL OF RICE FOR DUSK TILL DAWN FOR DEALING A 45 MINUTE CLOCK WITH 10K CHIPS FOR 3 DAYS

3. NICK HAS SAID TO ME THAT IF ANYONE WANTS THEIR £2 BACK DUE TO EXCHANGE RATE MOVEMENTS HE WILL REFUND IT, GIVE HIM A NUDGE ON THE DAY YOU PLAY AND HE WILL SORT IT

4. SO FAR THIS YEAR, WE HAVE LOST £20K ON EXCHANGE RATE MOVEMENTS FROM ONLINE SATELITTES ALONE, IN SIMPLE TERMS, THAT HAS GONE TO THE PLAYERS

HONESTLY GUYS, I FIND SOME OF THESE COMMENTS A BIT ANNOYING, I DON'T GET A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND FORCE YOU TO COME TO THE CLUB DO I, ITS A FREE WORLD, ANYONE WOULD THINK I KNEW THE EXCHANGE RATES WOULD CHANGE.

HAPPY DAYS.

ROB

PS. NICK, ALEX AND TRUMPS WILL PROBABLY GIVE ME A BOLLOCKING FOR POSTING THIS, BUT **** IT.

well said

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »

OKAY.

HAPPY DAYS.

ROB

Well put Rob, I can understand your frustration. I think people forget how lucky we are to have DTD. I know the juice on this event might technically be a bit steep but people are missing the point. It´s a free market economy - if it bothers you that much just don´t play (although missing that kind of relative value would be madness for any decent player).

Don´t let the negativity put you off Rob. You still have the best and most forward thinking card room in Europe. And grumpy poker players aren´t the best barometers of reason, lol.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: