blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The DTD Grand Prix 29th-31st Oct 2010...Record Breaking Comp?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The DTD Grand Prix 29th-31st Oct 2010...Record Breaking Comp?  (Read 47100 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »

I'm not sure why entry is not also available via the DTD shop online.

After all it does state there that you must have a DTD online cardroom account when registering.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »

I get the idea of having people open an online account.  Really I do.  DTD have a business to run and even if only a small percent of the new accounts start playing on DTD after - it's helped the online card room.  Result.  But this is a whole other animal.

I just think with something of this scale where you are trying to attract a record breaking crowd to the club, you've effectively defeated yourself before you ever get started.  By placing barriers in the way of the attempt, you've cut at least 20% off your total runners on the day...and possibly more. 

You've some who just don't do computers.  I know it's an alien concept to everyone reading this, but they're out there.  And then you've others who just about get around surfing, but not in a month of Sundays would they attempt to download and set up an account for anything. 

Then you've the lazy/stubborn lot.  They either can't be arsed because they prefer playing live and see no point in adding online poker to their computer, or they already have a 'home' for their online play and won't add more. 

It bites.  For sure.  But you have to be realistic.  If you want to reach the record setting goal, setting up limitations is very definitely not the way to go.  As you know, I live too far away and have to make a serious effort every time I go to DTD.  In the grand scheme of things I don't really count towards the club's business.  Just pointing out how I see it as the 'outsider looking in' because I'd really like to see you smash this one out of the park.  And right now I can't see it.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »

I get the idea of having people open an online account.  Really I do.  DTD have a business to run and even if only a small percent of the new accounts start playing on DTD after - it's helped the online card room.  Result.  But this is a whole other animal.

I just think with something of this scale where you are trying to attract a record breaking crowd to the club, you've effectively defeated yourself before you ever get started.  By placing barriers in the way of the attempt, you've cut at least 20% off your total runners on the day...and possibly more. 

You've some who just don't do computers.  I know it's an alien concept to everyone reading this, but they're out there.  And then you've others who just about get around surfing, but not in a month of Sundays would they attempt to download and set up an account for anything. 

Then you've the lazy/stubborn lot.  They either can't be arsed because they prefer playing live and see no point in adding online poker to their computer, or they already have a 'home' for their online play and won't add more. 

It bites.  For sure.  But you have to be realistic.  If you want to reach the record setting goal, setting up limitations is very definitely not the way to go.  As you know, I live too far away and have to make a serious effort every time I go to DTD.  In the grand scheme of things I don't really count towards the club's business.  Just pointing out how I see it as the 'outsider looking in' because I'd really like to see you smash this one out of the park.  And right now I can't see it.

You might be right, but its probably worth their while investing some money in an overlay in order to get a new bunch of new customers trying and possibly playing regularly on their site in the longer run. The ones whining about doing it are never going to play on their site anyway, so why should they accommodate them? They are a small vocal minority anyway.

They are better off trying to attract a chunk of the majority of players that are willing to play online to have a crack on their site and possibly end up being regular customers. The online site is clearly a big area of potential growth for them and this tournament is obviously a tool to increase business in that area. Its clear that having the biggest UK tournament isn't really the prime aim here, it is in fact a great tool for reaching out for new online players, think big picture and all that..............

For what its worth I was a whiner about the software etc, but after a few nights play I'm totally used to it. The games are softer than other sites too, so in a time where games are much tougher its worth spreading your wings away from the big sites which are full of solid grinders..............

Good luck to DTD I hope they achieve their goals.............
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »

And I agree with what you're saying as well.  It's a tricky one.

I suppose the question is - what is genuinely the goal?  If this is just a 'boost online activity' exercise - well then they've a good shot of gaining a few more players.  If it was truly to smash a live venue record - they've got a problem.  Rob has come up with something that could be really special for the club.  They just need to come up with something separate (but equally special) for the online brand at some point.  Unfortunately I think combining the pair will hinder the goals of the OP. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2010, 01:45:31 PM »

FFS Woodsey would you please get a grip!!

Nobody's whining about this at all.

All people have done on here is highlight the practicalities of the situation.

I think Dawn's post is excellent btw.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »

Sorry mate but I disagree..............
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »

Fair enough Smiley

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »

Fair enough Smiley

No point playing ping pong internet arguments when you just know we ain't going to agree...... Cheesy
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

this

you seem to be starting an argument in an empty room

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

You might be right, but its probably worth their while investing some money in an overlay in order to get a new bunch of new customers trying and possibly playing regularly on their site in the longer run. The ones whining about doing it are never going to play on their site anyway, so why should they accommodate them? They are a small vocal minority anyway.

They are better off trying to attract a chunk of the majority of players that are willing to play online to have a crack on their site and possibly end up being regular customers. The online site is clearly a big area of potential growth for them and this tournament is obviously a tool to increase business in that area. Its clear that having the biggest UK tournament isn't really the prime aim here, it is in fact a great tool for reaching out for new online players, think big picture and all that..............

For what its worth I was a whiner about the software etc, but after a few nights play I'm totally used to it. The games are softer than other sites too, so in a time where games are much tougher its worth spreading your wings away from the big sites which are full of solid grinders..............

If the idea is to get people in to the cardroom then how about offering an incentive to all grand prix entrants to register an account?

Rather than force people to do it if they want to play wouldn't it be better to offer something as a "thanks for playing" type of thing.

People who point blank refuse to sign up for account aren't going to no matter what happens. By forcing the online buy in only you're ruling them out of the comp altogether.

Some may sign up, reg for the comp and then never play again.

Would it be a good incentive to offer new sign ups their reg fee credited to their online account if they open one?

There's potentially 900 people in the club of which a few hundred won't have a dtd online account. Stick flyers on every table offering a free tenner if you reg a new account using the sign up code "grand prix". You know the sort of thing.

This way people aren't being forced, they are being encouraged.

Disclaimer: This is not a whinge. This is intended to be constructive. I don't mind buying in online and have in fact done so several times. I will be buying in for the DTD grand prix online.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »

If the idea is to get people in to the cardroom then how about offering an incentive to all grand prix entrants to register an account?

Rather than force people to do it if they want to play wouldn't it be better to offer something as a "thanks for playing" type of thing.

People who point blank refuse to sign up for account aren't going to no matter what happens. By forcing the online buy in only you're ruling them out of the comp altogether.

Would it be a good incentive to offer new sign ups their reg fee credited to their online account if they open one?

There's potentially 900 people in the club of which a few hundred won't have a dtd online account. Stick flyers on every table offering a free tenner if you reg a new account using the sign up code "grand prix". You know the sort of thing.

Please don't steal my chips again DTD

FYP

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »

^^^ LOL George......... Grin
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »

Please don't steal my chips again DTD

FYP

Looooooooooooool!!!

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »

NH George, WP 

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »

Guys (and Laxie),

Chill out guys, the logic with this tourney was it was targeted at our Super 50 players, we have 5000+ unique players that have played a £50 event at Dusk Till Dawn, paying out a 1st prize of £13,000 is pretty cool at this level of buy-in.

87% of Super 50 players ALREADY have online accounts, most of them use these accounts for satelittes into bigger events such as the £300 events, DTD Tour etc etc so increasing online sign ups is not the objective, or we would have targeted a different customer and also put in a promotion like rake X FPP's and get extra chips (like the IPO) or maybe rake XXX and play juice free etc etc

Apart from the damn exchange rate, online buy-in works really well because people either have money online already, can buy paysafe cards at the club, or have already registered their card online.

I don't think we would ever be able open an event up like this to direct club buy-in, we want to know how many staff we are gonna need to control our costs, plus making players who live 1hr+ away travel to the club (its amazing that 80% of our weekly regular customers come from outside of 30+ miles, to get 800, we are going to have to pull from 60 miles+) just to make sure they get a seat is a hassle, and the last thing i would ever want is 600 players turning up on Saturday to buy-in, and having to turn 200 people away. Our online system links direct into our tourney system, it runs so slick, and because people can use paysafe cards (available to purchase in 100-'s of places), those without a bankers card can register no problem, which you cannot do over web site buy-in.

I said when we first launched the event, that 500+ runners would be okay for our first attempt (but i was pretty confident inside that we would beat 730 as I knew that we had +5000 £50 players on our database), to be fair, we are on schedule to do 500 - 600 based on average registrations over the last 7 days, we are at 137 with 21 days to go, I think its gonna be close, poker players generally do everything last minute.

Nick has said anyone who has paid £2 quid extra juice for the comp can get it back off him/cashier (whatever Nick arranges) on the day.

Players are getting a £300 deepstack structure for a cheap price, its a pretty good deal overall.

Only thing that annoyed me is the exchange rate, Nick and Simon did say GTE the comp and set the buy-in in Euros, but I said our players prefer to see amounts in £££, so its totally my error, however, moaning about £2 when Nick has already said he will refund it to anyone does get on my nerves, as imagine if the exchange rate had gone the other way and we asked people for an extra £2 quid on the day!

Hope this explains everything, this event is like my own personal project, Nick and Simon thought I was barmy to do it, as its so costly to deal and £50 players generally don't play a lot of cash games, especially with this 45min 10k chip structure.

Now please do me a big favour, get bought in because I have got roped into £14k of side bets on us beating the record (which was 730 when I made the bet), but it is now 848, like a plonker I did not specify the amount, just to beat the record, and when I spoke to Pokerstars, they only had 178 entered in the EPT London, and said they were worried whether they would even hit 500 (due to all events before theirs in London), so i never thought to specifiy the bet to 738!

Cheers Rob

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:53:41 PM by robyong » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: