blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 04:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Its Broken
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Its Broken  (Read 5355 times)
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:01 AM »

I get sick and tired of excuses some shops will use to explain their faulty equipment

Heres a few

" This Automatic door currently only operates manually "        No   Its Broken

" the Lift is being Serviced "                                                No   Its Broken

" This cash machine only gives on-screen balances "                No   Its Broken

" The coffee machine has Hot Water only"                            No   Its Broken

" Sorry Sir we have run out of Ice"                                       No The Ice machine is BROKEN

" No Change given "                                                           No   Its Broken

" Wi Fi not available "                                                          No   Its Broken

" No hot food , cleaning in Progress "                                   No  the Ovens Broken

" The Escalator is undergoing Maintenance"                            No   Its Broken

" My brain hurts , should I take a pill"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:20:03 AM by The-Crow » Logged

don't let all this stuff scare ya.  its all a bit of fun
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »

Also heres a few labels I spotted

Found attached to the sleeve of a famous Poker presenter

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »

What tilts me is the ubiquitous 'Sorry for any inconvenience caused'

Got signs at work that say...

Cleaning in progress
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

and it drove me mad because there's another set of toilets literally 10 yards to the left. Sorry for any inconvenience caused doesn't tell them that. It says hold it in, you're goosed. (and if they're desperate they're more likely to come in while I'm cleaning the ladies loos and say, ooh don't mind me)

So I changed the signs to say

Cleaning in progress
Please use alternative facilities to the left.

and the punters then look left, and they find themselves another set of dunnies, and they go have a big happy piss in one of them.

Manager saw this and flipped. Come back from my day off and all my signs have been changed back to 'Sorry for any inconvenvience caused'
The thought of a sign that doesn't have this phrase on it seemed to offend their sensibilities of what people should say on A4 signs that they print out and stick onto doors with blutac.

So I appealed to the boss that that the punters (or guests if you like) would prefer to be offered a solution to their problem (needing a piss) rather than a dry apologetic phrase that is repeated to the point of it seeming insencere.

So now we have the horrible compromise.

Cleaning in Progress
Please use alternative facilities to the left

I had to eat that, as they lock you up when you care too much about this sort of stuff, but I'm sorry, that's just fucking rubbish.

Too much information, people aren't going to read all that.
What's worse, if they do read it, they're going to assume it's 2 miles to the left as they're being told that it's an inconvenience.

So are we to add in something like, 'a few short paces' to the second sentence. That just makes the too much information problem worse, may as well write an essay and put it on the door.
You don't read the whole thing, but your eyes do immediately scan the familar sentence 'sorry for any inconvenience caused' and that's enough to decide you're goosed (or that you're coming in anyway)

Redirecting yourself to pisssing place B instead of pissing place A is not an inconvenience when pissing place B is next goddam door to pissing place A. We do not need to apologise for this.

Even if we did, 'sorry for any inconvenience caused' is not the way to do it. That sentence says 'you're fucked and we don't care.' Which is awful coz they're not fucked and we really do care.

Maybe a bit too much.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:12:23 AM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »

Went to Milton Keynes today to get my Crows feet trimmed by baby piranha's

They had gone, but in Next was an escalator out of action " Having Maintenance done "

Usually Maintenance is done after hours when the shop is closed

NOT at  11am in the morning,  ITS BROKEN, grrrrr

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 11:45:19 PM »

What tilts me is the ubiquitous 'Sorry for any inconvenience caused'

Got signs at work that say...

Cleaning in progress

and it drove me mad because there's another set of toilets literally 10 yards to the left. Sorry for any inconvenience caused doesn't tell them that. It says hold it in, you're goosed. (and if they're desperate they're more likely to come in while I'm cleaning the ladies loos and say, ooh don't mind me)

So I changed the signs to say

Cleaning in progress
Please use alternative facilities to the left.

and the punters then look left, and they find themselves another set of dunnies, and they go have a big happy piss in one of them.

Manager saw this and flipped. Come back from my day off and all my signs have been changed back to 'Sorry for any inconvenvience caused'
The thought of a sign that doesn't have this phrase on it seemed to offend their sensibilities of what people should say on A4 signs that they print out and stick onto doors with blutac.

So I appealed to the boss that that the punters (or guests if you like) would prefer to be offered a solution to their problem (needing a piss) rather than a dry apologetic phrase that is repeated to the point of it seeming insencere.

So now we have the horrible compromise.

Cleaning in Progress
Please use alternative facilities to the left

I had to eat that, as they lock you up when you care too much about this sort of stuff, but I'm sorry, that's just fucking rubbish.

Too much information, people aren't going to read all that.
What's worse, if they do read it, they're going to assume it's 2 miles to the left as they're being told that it's an inconvenience.

So are we to add in something like, 'a few short paces' to the second sentence. That just makes the too much information problem worse, may as well write an essay and put it on the door.
You don't read the whole thing, but your eyes do immediately scan the familar sentence 'sorry for any inconvenience caused' and that's enough to decide you're goosed (or that you're coming in anyway)

Redirecting yourself to pisssing place B instead of pissing place A is not an inconvenience when pissing place B is next goddam door to pissing place A. We do not need to apologise for this.

Even if we did, 'sorry for any inconvenience caused' is not the way to do it. That sentence says 'you're fucked and we don't care.' Which is awful coz they're not fucked and we really do care.

Maybe a bit too much.

Michael O'Leary would love you, Thomas.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »

Cones at entrance and exit of a petrol station when on a shift changeover or counting the till or whatever it is that goes on....tilts the feck outta me

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »

Another annoying sign

in a well known restaurant  " All-Day Breakfast" says the sign

in small print " served until 11.30am on Saturday and Sunday "

grrrr

TightPaulFolds

Not a moderator in any fashion whatsoever

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »

Escalator temporarily out of order temporarily stairs

FYWS

Who's that for?Huh?Huh?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:44:38 PM by TightPaulFolds » Logged
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:22:44 AM »

FYWS

Who's that for?Huh?Huh?

People who can see

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TightPaulFolds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »

FYWS

Who's that for?Huh?Huh?

People who can see

Who use guide dogs? Misguided imo
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »

I am a manager of businesses and thus I am ultimately responsible for the putting of signs on things. And I see things from a different perspective Wink

I resist using the words "Sorry for any inconvenience caused" chiefly because I'm not actually sorry and I don't believe inconvenience is being caused. For instance with the cleaning of toilets I would suggest that customers having clean toilets is not an inconvenience. In actual fact it should be an absolute joy for the customer to walk into toilets that are regularly cleaned. But if customers desire clean toilets they must anticipate that at some point they will be cleaned. Yeah, you could clean them out of hours to seemingly lessen the inconvenience but you would in fact pay a higher premium for such a service which would ultimately be transferred to the customer via increased prices and thus actually heighten inconvenience. Furthermore, what tilts me is the obligation to provide a signage solution to the toilet out of order dilemma if there is indeed another set of toilets 10 yards away. Why are people so clueless that they have to be shepherded to a solution that's staring them right in the face. Any customers who wet themselves because they couldn't locate the alternative facility a few paces away deserve such an indignation imo. Some customers would expect, neigh demand, that a member of staff piggy back them to the alternative facility, unzip their flies, and take out there winkie whilst apologising profusely for the inconvenience.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »

I am a manager of businesses and thus I am ultimately responsible for the putting of signs on things. And I see things from a different perspective Wink

I resist using the words "Sorry for any inconvenience caused" chiefly because I'm not actually sorry and I don't believe inconvenience is being caused. For instance with the cleaning of toilets I would suggest that customers having clean toilets is not an inconvenience. In actual fact it should be an absolute joy for the customer to walk into toilets that are regularly cleaned. But if customers desire clean toilets they must anticipate that at some point they will be cleaned. Yeah, you could clean them out of hours to seemingly lessen the inconvenience but you would in fact pay a higher premium for such a service which would ultimately be transferred to the customer via increased prices and thus actually heighten inconvenience. Furthermore, what tilts me is the obligation to provide a signage solution to the toilet out of order dilemma if there is indeed another set of toilets 10 yards away. Why are people so clueless that they have to be shepherded to a solution that's staring them right in the face. Any customers who wet themselves because they couldn't locate the alternative facility a few paces away deserve such an indignation imo. Some customers would expect, neigh demand, that a member of staff piggy back them to the alternative facility, unzip their flies, and take out there winkie whilst apologising profusely for the inconvenience.

Please please please print that out and put it on the door of the toilets next time you have them cleaned.

Blue text
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

FYWS

Who's that for?Huh?Huh?

People who can see

Who use guide dogs? Misguided imo

eh?  level?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
TightPaulFolds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 01:13:26 PM »

lol It was a joke so I wasn't really prepared to defend the loose logic but....as a seeing person, is it that relevant to you that guide dogs may be permitted?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »

lol It was a joke so I wasn't really prepared to defend the loose logic but....as a seeing person, is it that relevant to you that guide dogs may be permitted?

I dunno if i'm getting sucked into a bigger level here but - the signs are surely to prevent dog owners who are told their pets can't enter a premises from kicking up a big fuss because 'that blind woman over there is allowed to take her dog in'

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: