blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  WSOP Event # 7, $1,000 NLH with REBUYS
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP Event # 7, $1,000 NLH with REBUYS  (Read 9955 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2005, 01:03:06 AM »

Another text in from Dave who is, I am sorry to tell you, still unwell.

"350 left in today's $1,000 NLH Rebuy. I think over 900 started, & about 350 are left. I am ave chips".

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:10:48 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 01:05:06 AM »

Followed by another.....

"Daniel Negraneu had 12 rebuys. He did several live straddles "all-in" & won two of them".

Poker skill at it's best, eh?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 01:07:41 AM »

Followed by another.....

"Daniel Negraneu had 12 rebuys. He did several live straddles "all-in" & won two of them".

Poker skill at it's best, eh?

cheaper than last years 24 rebuys he is improving

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:12:19 AM »

I think that's obscene. "Who's got the deepest pocket" poker.

Respect? No way.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 01:19:49 AM »

he was quoted as saying he wanted alot of chips on his table after the rebuys if he had to supply them no problem
think he had to finish top 8 to get his money back

he was trying to buy a bracelet but failed at the final hurdle with 3rd place

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 01:24:34 AM »

How sad........

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 02:25:08 AM »

I've seen other well known English pro's take exactly the same approach in a 200 rebuy.
What's the difference?
Just cuz Negranu can afford it at the higher level don't make him different.
Ian

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »

There is no difference. I don't think its the right way to play whether they be Ameican or English or anythingelseish. Sticking your entire stack in blind hand after hand has no skill whatsoever. I feel exactly the same about any guys who do it.

ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 02:38:53 AM »

i think you missed the implication there Tikay..............i was talking about a table i shared with Dave Colclough, Julian Thew and Scandie WHU champ.
Ian

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
James Browning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 02:46:28 AM »

I agree with you Tikay. Thats why there is a rise in the popularity of Freezeouts. A level playingfield against the sponsored players!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 02:48:15 AM »

Yes, I maybe did.

But I know for sure that Thewy would never go all-in blind hand after hand in a 200 comp, he just wouldent. And his sponsor certainly does not pay his rebuys.

Same remarks appliy to Dave Colclough, he pays for hs own entries, & I've never seen him go all-in blind repeatedly.

Scandie WHU Champ. Is that Gunnarson you are referring to? I don't know the guy, so cant comment.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 02:53:49 AM »

Welcome to blonde James, keep them posts coming!

Freezeouts are definitely fairer, but there is room for rebuys, but not, in my opinion, Negranua style. Apparently he plonked $10,000 on the table tonight & grandly announced he had plenty more where that came from, & was prepared to use it.

My point is I think poker is a mixture of skill & luck, & what Daniel did tonight (and in the same event last year) is 100% luck. And it hardly gives the regular guys an equal chance.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 03:04:08 AM »

Dave just called. He said he has made it to the dinner break, along with a mere 170 or so others. He thinks the comp has made around $2,300,000. Wow!

Dave has 7,000 - slightly low compared to average - but he says he's comfy with that stack, given that blinds are only 200-400, with a running ante of 50.

He's still not feeliing well, but a shot at a bracelet & the fat end of a million bucks may make him perk up.......

ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 03:04:31 AM »

Thewey called for all his chips twice, and both times hit runner runner for a diamond flush (queen diamonds).
He had no draw, it was all he could win with!!
Likewise DC had 4 or 5 rebuys and bet 750 on the last rebuy hand, was reraised and folded saying " i only did that so i could have a rebuy and topup".
Irrelevant whether they pay or not, they obviously could afford it and so an unfair advantage there is.
I know they are both pals and i don't criticize it as such but it's the same thing as negranu.
Ian

Of course not.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 03:20:49 AM »

But I don't think it is, though I grant you I am in an awkward spot here, because they are both close buddies of mine.

The massive difference is that Negranau (if I spell his name enough times I will get it right eventually) was going all-in blind, for his entire stack, pre-flop, every hand.

In a 200 rebuy, Thewy generally limits himself to 2 rebuys, 3 maximum, but don't tell his missus that!

The example you give of Dave having 4 or 5 rebuys sounds about right, but he did NOT repeatedly go all-in blind pre-flop. And for sure, on the last hand before the freeze, it's common practice for players to play that hand "strategically", to optimise their buy-in/add-on situation.

I take your point, I really do, but I just think it's a significantly different thing that Daniel (there, Daniel is easier to spell), was doing - sticking all his chips in pre-deal, never mind pre-flop, & not even looking at his cards.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: