blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272576 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  DTD MONTHLY DEEPSTACK..IS IT REALLY ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DTD MONTHLY DEEPSTACK..IS IT REALLY ?  (Read 9680 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »

IMHO you could give the random ppl that turn up at DTD 1 day deepstack events any structure you want and they would manage to turn it into a crapshoot. The average player in those play so painstakingly nittily and passively that the clashes between big hands that should happen dont happen because when anyone starts to play aggressively you know they have Aces+. The Monte Carlo event will play deeper, but mainly because of the higher overall standard of player imo. I reckon if you put the field that turn up for Saturday into the Monte Carlo it probably wouldnt finish until they eventually decide to make a move and put in their final 6bbs with AJo sometime in the middle of January.

I wouldn't agree with this at all. In fact my experience is quite the opposite.

I can't count the number of times I've seen players get it all in in the early levels with hands like AQ v JJ, or one pair v flush draw.

For most deep-stack events, including the big buy-in ones, I find the rate of attrition truly astounding.

The older I get, the better I was.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

IMHO you could give the random ppl that turn up at DTD 1 day deepstack events any structure you want and they would manage to turn it into a crapshoot. The average player in those play so painstakingly nittily and passively that the clashes between big hands that should happen dont happen because when anyone starts to play aggressively you know they have Aces+. The Monte Carlo event will play deeper, but mainly because of the higher overall standard of player imo. I reckon if you put the field that turn up for Saturday into the Monte Carlo it probably wouldnt finish until they eventually decide to make a move and put in their final 6bbs with AJo sometime in the middle of January.

I can't count the number of times I've seen players get it all in in the early levels with hands like AQ v JJ, or one pair v flush draw.

For most deep-stack events, including the big buy-in ones, I find the rate of attrition truly astounding.

Definitely with Tom here. There's no way you can call the DTD players nitty in general.

Also the main reason the Monte Carlo will play deeper isn't because of the standard of the players.

It's actually because you get loads more chips and a longer clock.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:08 AM »

Can it be changed to 1500chips,5min blinds and cap it at 45 players plz,kthxbye.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »

alot of ppl cant adapt to the structure and are hanging on to cash or wait for aces

the amount of ppl i see under 10 bigs folding makes me cry so very happy!

FYP

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »

Can it be changed to 1500chips,5min blinds and cap it at 45 players plz,kthxbye.

rofl

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »

Quality post from stato. Red-dog AQ vs JJ is a cooler.

Nah but seriously they get it in with the same hands early on as late, with 10bbs or 40bbs their BB re-shoving range is the same, so they're all way way too tight once they get under 15bbs. In some spots with more bbs they're too loose, but usually they're just massive nits after level 1 imo.
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »

I've only played a handful of the smaller buy in events at DTD and nitty is not how I'd describe it.

DTD was the first and only place I've played live and I was really shocked at how loose the play was.  In actual fact, it was a huge relief as I thought I'd be well out of my depth.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »

rofl

yeah do this!
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »

Hi guys,

I think I can actually contribute with some stats to your discussion. Our data shows us that how long a comp lasts/the nittyness is based on 3 key key factors;

1. Buy-in
2. Clock
3. Chips

For example, our £15 comps finish at a BB level of between 8BB and 12BB compared to our £300 Deep stack which finish at 30BB - 35BB, the pattern is basically the same all through the different buy-in levels, therefore, the quality/style of the player makes a HUGE HUGE MASSIVE difference. We really have to take this into account when designing tournaments, or we could get ourselves in a position where an event would not finish. For example, the Grand Prix played down to 10BB, and we were still fliming in at 5am in the morning, it played more like a £25 evening comp that a £40K prize pool comp.

As a rule of thumb, and as the stats 100% prove conclusively, a comp will increase in what you call "nittyness" directly as;

1. the number of satelitte qualifiers increases as a % of the overall field
2. as the buy-in level reduces

I was shocked when I say the difference that experience/player profile makes to how a comp breaks down. However, ironically, professional/+ve EV tourney players will actually have their largest edge in these "nitty comps", wierd eh?

In our £15 comp last week, blinds were 5k-10k + antes, a player moved all in for 13k, and the BB folded. These types of decisions make these comps last for ages, and these players are very much the profile of satelitte winners into larger buy-in comps, hence the so called "nittyness" of some of these comps, and the reason why the chips and clocks have to be carefully designed with the player profile in mind, as it makes a massive difference to the finishing times.

Personally, as a player, I would prefer every £50 - £1000 DTD weekend comp/festival to be a 6 max turbo (15 min clock) with 10k chips, see 33% more hands, shorter clock, plenty of action, get knocked out early or be chipped up, and nitty players blind away quicker Smiley Its a pity that 6 max turbo at the Grand Prix only got 185 runners, I would love to have that as a monthly deeptack regular event, but really, comps with less than 200 runners are not financially viable at DTD on weekends.

Cheers Rob
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:23:15 PM by robyong » Logged
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

I love turbo comps, they are the nuts.

There is one problem, the players.

So many players tank forever over easy decisions just like they do in regular tournaments.

It means live turbo comps just end up having 4 or 5 hands per level.

If only there was a way of implementing a time bank in live poker.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »

The £300 Deepstack event at DTD is an event that does not need touching,tweaking , reviewing in any way or form. IT is the perfect event for hi rollers, mid rollers an the everyday man affordable to all with lots of play an all done in 2 days with a chunky first prize. What more do you want  ?
dan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:27 PM »

The £300 Deepstack event at DTD is an event that does not need touching,tweaking , reviewing in any way or form. IT is the perfect event for hi rollers, mid rollers an the everyday man affordable to all with lots of play an all done in 2 days with a chunky first prize. What more do you want  ?

I agree with this, I played the £300 for the 1st time this month and I thought it was a fantastic comp, I normally hate live poker but really enjoyed this and cant wait to play it again
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »

this, the structure is perfect the way it is right now.
jonlundy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »

this, the structure is perfect the way it is right now.

make it a  turbo imo. its a gr8 comp as it is. v nice to have a monthly £300 comp like this near by!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »

This.

A know a few might like the idea of (relatively) big buy-in, short-handed, turbo type comps, and I fully understand the rationale behind making the weekday comps play quicker. but imo, once you get around the £200/£300 mark, the majority of players prefer long clocks and deep stacks for their money.

I'll tell you something that amuses me. The players who say "Anyone can sit and wait for good hands" are the very same players who can't do it.

Actually, it's not about waiting for "Big" hands, it's more about waiting for "Big" situations.

I'm the original nit from Nitsville, but during the last £100k comp, I doubled up with 33 and trebled up with 56. I played those weak hands because the situation was right, not because the structure had forced me to put my chips in and get lucky.

All I'm saying is, even slow structures become fast eventually, and the nits have to adapt as the blinds and anties get bigger. The LAG's will get their chance, that is of course if they can adapt to the slow early stages, and survive in nitworld.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: