blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  anazon kindle?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: anazon kindle?  (Read 3761 times)
bhoywonder

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »

A good xmas gift or a gimmick?

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »

I've got one and love it. Useful for people who travel a lot in particular as it means you don't have to carry books around with you.

Probably not the best present for someone who doesn't read a lot though Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 12:09:07 AM »

the problem with something like this as a present for someone who hasn't actually asked for it is you're giving them something they have to spend money on to use

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »

Only partially true. There are a lot of out-of-copyright books you can download for free.

Not got a Kindle, but have got the Kindle app on my android phone. Browsing free books list gives long list, but obviously only if you fancy reading "classics".

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
StDoug

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »

I thought about giving my wife one for xmas (kindle that is  Grin ). She reads a lot so thought worth while. However she likes to swap books with the people that she works with so it wasn't met with too much appreciation Sad
It looked okay just not for someone who likes the paper versions.

Your Best! Losers winge about doing their best, Winners go home and Huh???

: :three diamonds
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »

I've got one and love it (although I'm on my second after cracking the screen on No 1 - insurance maybe no bad thing). I didn't get the one with free mobile connection - I don't see me being that desperate for a new book to read that I couldn't get to a wifi connection.

I find the kindle versions a little bit cheaper when newly out & like Kin says they're great for when travelling. I would normally pack 3 or 4 books for a trip down to the main offices in Reading (I go by train so have roughly 8 hours there, 8 back) or at least 8 for a week's holiday - the weight really adds up.

I also like being able to buy a book & maybe not be in the mood to read it at the time, but still take it with me as I can sometimes have 2 or 3 books on the go depending on what I'm in the mood to read. Rex's point about the free books is a good one as well - I've been back through a lot of the books I loved as a kid, and also been able to start some classics that I've never got round to.

My Dad hates me having it as his book supply has dried up, although a lot of what I've got on it is sci-fi/fantasy which he won't read anyway.

I've just bought a couple of DVD's of books off e-bay & will try them out, if they're any good I'll let you know.

In the end I probably prefer real books, but the Kindle's a great thing for any bookworm who travels a lot.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:07:46 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »

I've got one and love it (although I'm on my second after cracking the screen on No 1 - insurance maybe no bad thing). I didn't get the one with free mobile connection - I don't see me being that desperate for a new book to read that I couldn't get to a wifi connection.

I find the kindle versions a little bit cheaper when newly out & like Kin says they're great for when travelling. I would normally pack 3 or 4 books for a trip down to the main offices in Reading (I go by train so have roughly 8 hours there, 8 back) or at least 8 for a week's holiday - the weight really adds up.

I also like being able to buy a book & maybe not be in the mood to read it at the time, but still take it with me as I can sometimes have 2 or 3 books on the go depending on what I'm in the mood to read. Rex's point about the free books is a good one as well - I've been back through a lot of the books I loved as a kid, and also been able to start some classics that I've never got round to.

My Dad hates me having it as his book supply has dried up, although a lot of what I've got on it is sci-fi/fantasy which he won't read anyway.

I've just bought a couple of DVD's of books off e-bay & will try them out, if they're any good I'll let you know.

In the end I probably prefer real books, but the Kindle's a great thing for any bookworm who travels a lot.

Can you give the books you have bought to other kindle users after you've finished with them, much the same as you would give real books to other readers?

Also, would it make sense for libraries to stock electronic books to lend out?

The older I get, the better I was.
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »

Cheers..interesting comments...its for the missus,and Im undecided still...I have an app in my phone....but miss the tactile feeling n page turning a book gives....hmmmmm

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:44:45 PM »

Can you give the books you have bought to other kindle users after you've finished with them, much the same as you would give real books to other readers?

I had to look it up. You can share them, but it's complicated - you need to de-register the kindle from your account, re-register it in the person you want a book from, then download the book, de-register, re-register as yours & you've got the book.

Another disadvantage I'd not thought of.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:25:21 AM »

got one a few weeks back and really like mine. The only downside is the swapping books but thats not an issue for me and would highly reccomend it to anyone who was unsure.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:11:41 AM »

On the plus side, it means you can't lend books to aged poker players/tv legends and then never see the books again.

The library idea is an interesting one. Can't see amazon facilitating that one though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:14:37 AM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304915104575572883554230588.html

Mentions lending and libraries.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:44:49 AM »

Amazon are selling refub'd Kindles at the moment for just £67.99 for the Wifi and £98 for the 3G  - link here if anyone is interested http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002Y27P46/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=refurbished

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »

Where does everyone get their e-books from?

don't really feel like paying £6 for a new book, hell even in the supermarket new paperbacks are only £3.50 and I can give them to others when I'm done.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »

Was really tempted to buy one but have then found out that there's no backlight on it.

Has anyone bought one of the covers to use with it that includes a light?  Any good or not?

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: