blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:07:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone up for backing a horse in American Pool?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone up for backing a horse in American Pool?  (Read 23334 times)
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »

Hi guys Smiley

There's a hell of a lot of action going on now in the UK for American Pool, and specifically 9-ball. I've been playing American Pool for the last year now, and looking to take the next step. I like entering tournaments but I am best focused in one on one match situations as it suits me better.

My best result so far is beating the World No1/Mosconi Cup MVP/US Open Champion/World 10-ball Champion Darren Appleton in a tournament two weekends ago in Wakefield. Had notable scalps against some of the UKs top amateurs and ran a few close in other matches. I'm showing a lot of potential, and as a result getting free coaching from former top 10 UK ranked player Nigel Webb. So I'm in very good hands.

I am looking to see if there are any people interested in staking for money games. My current record in small games for anything between £5 and £20 is exemplary. My biggest match I've played is 9-ball match for £200 a man Race to 30 racks against a guy called Andy Mistry. Was my first big match and I conducted myself well winning convincingly.

Because I am still a relatively unknown name to most people I want to take advantage of this by getting games that are in my favour. But I don't have the cash I'd necessarily like to get some games going.

WHAT I PROPOSE

I will match the stake offered and I will pay back stake + 50% on any winnings (this is open to negotiation). I am happy to take less than 50% of winnings at the start to repay the faith put into me as a horse.
I live in Leicester, so if any of you who are interested are close by then I’m happy to chat with you. If you want to discuss anything either please reply to the post or send me a private message. If you want to chat on phone I’ll give you my mobile number privately.
I pay back on all dealings promptly. I will keep a log book of all games played, results etc and also try to record my games in action if at all possible.

Cheers
Baz Smiley
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:46:30 AM by FuglyBaz » Logged
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »

what was the race to when you beat appleton?

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »

a lot has to be taken on trust
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »

Most people are staked by people in the game.

could be interesting sweat if you can play for enough to get you on cuesport.tv
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »

what was the race to when you beat appleton?

Hi Ace, it was a race to 12 I had a 6 start. So not a game off levels as such. Still, was a match against the player I 'idolise' and I was starstruck and trembling for the whole match. Turned out I play better with wobbly knees than without. Not bad for less than a years play Smiley

The aim is to get a match on cuesport.tv as long as it is a game that is good for me. I'm not just going to chuck money around if I'm only 30% to win, I have to be at least 50% to win to take any game.

To Action Man - a lot has to based on trust both ways. I can only give my word and offer to start small or meet up with people in person to prove that I am trustworthy.

Kinboshi has met me in person before when he took me to DTD, and while that has nothing to do with Pool or anything else I hope he can at the very least vouch for my character while in his company.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »

well winning convincingly.

Not a good habit.

Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »

Baz do u know my cousin Ben Finch?

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »

know nothing about pool but read some of the viffer stuff and it seems that whether you play pool good or not is irrelevant gambling wise, it's all about who gets the game structured in their favour pre match. angle shooting is positively encouraged. all the drama over the ivey/vaswani golf game for example wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

if russ hamilton and tiger woods were setting up a golf match, who would you bet on?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »

How do you get games?

How much are you looking for?

What about expenses?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »

Baz do u know my cousin Ben Finch?

Funny enough I played him last August. I'm lucky to have beat him from 4-1 down winning 5-4, but he's a class player. Wish him the best on the Pro Division in GB9.
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »

Surely the fact you have never played for proper money before is a huge disadvantage?

I mean you played a race to 30 for £200 and called it a big match!

You could turn up to poker festivals and get $100 per rack games with anyone- bear in mind i mean anyone and me for example, im dreadful- but as long as u didnt beat me too badly id probably do a few hundred etc
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:12:18 PM by Dubai » Logged
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

know nothing about pool but read some of the viffer stuff and it seems that whether you play pool good or not is irrelevant gambling wise, it's all about who gets the game structured in their favour pre match. angle shooting is positively encouraged. all the drama over the ivey/vaswani golf game for example wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

if russ hamilton and tiger woods were setting up a golf match, who would you bet on?

Byron, regarding the Viffer stuff it is stupid the weight he is given in One Pocket pool. When the pros have to pot 18 balls to his 4 that really is gambling because he does practise as well. One Pocket is the gamblers game, but in rotation games like 9-ball and 10-ball it is harder to get the right weight. You can give away games on the wire (say 5 start to 21) or you can give balls away, so they can pot the 6-ball as if it is a 9-ball. The handicaps are endless.

When I 'gamble' the game is a lot more simple. Straight race to 21 or whatever the race is, long enough to show true skill but not so long it turns into a snoozefest. A lot of it is about angling for an edge but in my experience the angling seems to be a thing among road players and pros. Brits tend to just play straight races, like most games on cuesport.tv Smiley

well winning convincingly.

Not a good habit.

I'll try to lose the small ones and win the big ones Tongue
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »

How do you get games?

How much are you looking for?

What about expenses?

Games can occur in different ways. I've been approached through a 3rd party, I've beaten someone in a league who wants revenge, and in the case of Money Match TV there are 5 different categories and you look for players to match up against in your category.

If you want rough figures, then I'd look at minimum £300 max whatever is comfortable for the individual.

Expenses for table time during matches etc and travel will come out of my own pocket.
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »

Surely the fact you have never played for proper money before is a huge disadvantage?

I mean you played a race to 30 for £200 and called it a big match!

You could turn up to poker festivals and get $100 per rack games with anyone- bear in mind i mean anyone and me for example, im dreadful- but as long as u didnt beat me too badly id probably do a few hundred etc

Hi Dubai, you'd be right that £200 a man isn't a big game. But bear in mind please I am not loaded to high heavens, and 'big game' is subjective. Going around the pool halls in Leicester and other places I frequently visit, you are lucky to get games for £20 a set let alone anything else.

It's probably better to say I played a game for a significant amount of money. Again, that is subjective. To a man who's in a crappy insurance job £200 is a fair chunk, but I'd suggest that £200 is a drop in the ocean to some gamblers.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »

I meant don't win well so you can do this:

im dreadful- but as long as u didnt beat me too badly id probably do a few hundred etc

Rather than doing this:

I'll try to lose the small ones and win the big ones Tongue

Turn up at a festival, whup the world champ 21-0 and gg getting any action.

Oh, and whilst what constitutes "large stakes" is indeed subjective, the whole point about it is that some players crumble under the pressure of it whilst others thrive on it.  Anyone can clear the table in practice, but when the money on is obscene, many players start missing regulation shots.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:33:46 PM by Simon Galloway » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: