blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 08:50:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272932 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Diary of a MTT Grinder Wannabe
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diary of a MTT Grinder Wannabe  (Read 191763 times)
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: February 21, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »

I like reading this, it has really helped me get a good idea of what an mtt grinder goes through. I'm glad its not just me who goes through a "I'm grinding small stakes tonight, lots of tables and mainly turbos" to a "lets play EVERYTHING" to a "8 tables, lots of focus, bigger buy in" and then consistently cycle through these schedules without really deciding what is best overall.

Do you only play Hold'em?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
c4ught

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 21, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »

Have also enjoyed reading what you have wrote even if sometimes its saying the same thing as you have previously said!

Congrats on the score, 5 figures just around the corner gogogo.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 21, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »

Diaries don't really have to be interesting. it's always helpful writing (to me anyway), air my thoughts, get them written down - things become clearer in your head also, and you get stuff off your chest. Doesn't matter if nobody replies, you're not doing the diary for their benefit. you'd be really surprised how many people do read it and just don't comment. I read whenever you update it, but don't post often.

Maybe post less often? If you have a fairly run-of-the-mill night that isn't that interesting, then maybe don't bother reporting on it?

Doesn't matter though, if u enjoy it and it helps you, keep doing it.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »

MBN to have Alex post in ur diary!!

Oh and he is right as usual!!!!!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »

I like reading this, it has really helped me get a good idea of what an mtt grinder goes through. I'm glad its not just me who goes through a "I'm grinding small stakes tonight, lots of tables and mainly turbos" to a "lets play EVERYTHING" to a "8 tables, lots of focus, bigger buy in" and then consistently cycle through these schedules without really deciding what is best overall.

Do you only play Hold'em?

Cheers and glad to be of assistance. The swingy mentality towards game selection is soon evaporating as i win more because the games i want to play are leaving less of a dent on my BR. It is good to note your mood however, and if you are feeling a little edgy and reckless but altogether calm minded then all in pre flop shoving should be the port of call and a good turbo night is what should be on the cards.

If you are very well rested and know you have a calm temperament to deal with the slow pace of the bigger tournies then incorporating those is a good idea. However, i could never solely play slow tourns and would have to have turbos involved at some capacity.

Still quite reckless with the BR recently. Laying around 4000 dollars every grind i do and that is quite some way over 10 per cent of my WHOLE roll. Will probably have to control that better but i think i may be addicted to the thrill of the rush you get from knowing you are putting more on the line that you should be. I am performing a relatively controlled way of doing that though moving up and down quickly if i need to but ideally the goal is to have the perfect schedule in mind, tally the costs of it and have it only take up less than 5 per cent of the BR. Maybe by the end of the year? That's the dream.

Correct. I only play holdem. I used to do a bit of stud on the side and think i have a good eye for it but there are no real juicy tournies to play and cash kind of bores me. Omaha is simply the Devil's game.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 23, 2012, 04:32:30 AM »

Have also enjoyed reading what you have wrote even if sometimes its saying the same thing as you have previously said!

Congrats on the score, 5 figures just around the corner gogogo.

Cheers.

Been noted before by Eso Kral that the diary has reminded him of the movie Groundhog Day! Ha.

Think it's a sign of banging my head against the wall for so long and getting nowhere. Now i am motioning I would hope i will be writing more and more scores instead of the loop about how badly i prepared and how i continue to do nothing about it! Smiley
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »

Diaries don't really have to be interesting. it's always helpful writing (to me anyway), air my thoughts, get them written down - things become clearer in your head also, and you get stuff off your chest. Doesn't matter if nobody replies, you're not doing the diary for their benefit. you'd be really surprised how many people do read it and just don't comment. I read whenever you update it, but don't post often.

Maybe post less often? If you have a fairly run-of-the-mill night that isn't that interesting, then maybe don't bother reporting on it?

Doesn't matter though, if u enjoy it and it helps you, keep doing it.

True about airing thoughts and becoming clearer of mind for it, but for most of this thread i was lost and wouldn't be proactive in doing the prep i know i should be instead of burying my head in the sand and repeating my angst.

Good i can look back on it and see it for what it is and hope that my updates to this thread will be slightly more original (wouldn't hold my breath though!) aside, hopefully, from the repetitive nature of my brazen bink brags!
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:27 AM »

Think i need to be much more active on other threads of this forum. I often lose track on pages of people's diaries and i then decide to start not reading them knowing i have a lot to catch up on and the attention span of a goldfish to not be able to do so anyway.

I don't like the idea of reading diaries as well if they are over 50 pages long and to start reading from the last page, as i feel i am not fully in the picture and i hate that feeling. That is a shame and i should turn that around.

Haven't touched Tikay's or Red Dog's diaries (a criminal offence on here right?) because both share pages that total over 1000 each when i know both must be a good read, but i can't get over not knowing all i could.

Others must have gone through the same thing when they first started on here. What is the best way to deal with it? Read the lot, start to enjoy it and the pages won't seem so daunting? Or start from the end and gradually catch on as you go along?

PS - played one tourn tonight, a $82 hyper, came third for $2.6k i think, redic luck. Takes my profits for the site over $20k Smiley
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »

In for quite a bit tonight, deffo at least 4k, but have had nothing in terms of a cash as of yet and only have 9 tabs left.

Got 10 bbs in three ongame tourns, gsop, 50r, 109f
25bbs in the party major 901r1a
73/286 in a 100f turbo on pokerstars

That rounds off the interesting ones.

Qualified to play the super tuesday tonight, but feel a little tired atm, so took tourney dollars.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »

Turned my laptop off accidentally mid hand, with 1/4 of my chips in. So frustrating, but taking it very well.
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »

I like reading this a lot too, keep posting Ant, i check every day sad that i am Smiley

BTW do have chat turned off or just to busy to notice?  177272 on stars.

Steve
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 29, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »

Think i need to be much more active on other threads of this forum. I often lose track on pages of people's diaries and i then decide to start not reading them knowing i have a lot to catch up on and the attention span of a goldfish to not be able to do so anyway.

I don't like the idea of reading diaries as well if they are over 50 pages long and to start reading from the last page, as i feel i am not fully in the picture and i hate that feeling. That is a shame and i should turn that around.

Haven't touched Tikay's or Red Dog's diaries (a criminal offence on here right?) because both share pages that total over 1000 each when i know both must be a good read, but i can't get over not knowing all i could.

Others must have gone through the same thing when they first started on here. What is the best way to deal with it? Read the lot, start to enjoy it and the pages won't seem so daunting? Or start from the end and gradually catch on as you go along?

PS - played one tourn tonight, a $82 hyper, came third for $2.6k i think, redic luck. Takes my profits for the site over $20k Smiley

I started to read Red's Diary from page 1 quite a while ago. Trust me, it's worth it. There are pages you can skim read, but some of his stories are far far better than we have a right to expect for free.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

I would guess there are quite a few people who read this diary as I do. You are in a group with monda stribling railtard etc who have diaries that we all read but we don't have much to contribute to.  I suppose bird watching, lady boys and cement are more popular subjects than online poker which is pretty weird on a poker forum.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:01 PM »

I would guess there are quite a few people who read this diary as I do. You are in a group with monda stribling railtard etc who have diaries that we all read but we don't have much to contribute to.  I suppose bird watching, lady boys and cement are more popular subjects than online poker which is pretty weird on a poker forum.

Haha lol that is weird

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 01, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

I like reading this a lot too, keep posting Ant, i check every day sad that i am Smiley

BTW do have chat turned off or just to busy to notice?  177272 on stars.

Steve

I never do have chat on, always have the info tab open instead with my position, so apologies for not noticing, would have responded otherwise.

Checking this thread everyday doesn't make you sad, it makes you a winner.

I started to read Red's Diary from page 1 quite a while ago. Trust me, it's worth it. There are pages you can skim read, but some of his stories are far far better than we have a right to expect for free.

I think my rate of reading pages on blonde is about 25 pages an hour, so reading Red's diary will be a 40 odd hour commitment and have a good feeling that i will enjoy it immensely, then i will move onto Tikay's.

I would guess there are quite a few people who read this diary as I do. You are in a group with monda stribling railtard etc who have diaries that we all read but we don't have much to contribute to.  I suppose bird watching, lady boys and cement are more popular subjects than online poker which is pretty weird on a poker forum.

You are quite right that its quite hard to comment onto an out and out poker blog because what is there to add that hasn't been before. You are limited to gestures of goodwill until perhaps i decide to do something out of the ordinary and start to live a life. One ticket to Thailand please.....
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 ... 83 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: