blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272828 Posts in 66757 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Cheltenham 2011
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheltenham 2011  (Read 51561 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »

Benidorm sounds like hell, but Cheltenham is the nuts.

Prediction league ftw, pick winner for each race, 10point for winning, 5points for top 3, all scores count and obv most points scoops teh loot.

No point, Brent will piss it with his 5 or 6 25-1+ shots that he manages to find.

Well thanks Boldie, but in reality i think although i have done quite well, i've just run extremely good with the ones i've posted on the forum and actually backed like 3 outsiders in the race.

Kauto Star this year? Or is age too much of a barrier? Got to admit that as much as i'd love Kauto or Denman to win it my head is telling me that one of Long Run, Diamond Harry, Pride of Dulcote etc. will have too much pace.

If Kauto is 12-1 and fit I reckon he's a decent EW shot. Can't have him at the current 8-1. Reckon it's a pretty open GC so wouldn't be surprised if some sort of shock came up.

Diamond Harry needs it at least Good to Soft...he should get that but the softer it gets the more I fancy him.  Don't know if Pride Of Dulcote is ready yet TBH but could be very well hack up. Long Run is obviously a superb horse and Commander (strange for the defending Champion) is almost the forgotten horse in the race even though he's favourite...7-2 is starting to look a bit tasty TBH as, if he is fully wound up, he could make this lot look very silly indeed.

Last year you could give 3 horses a chance..this year I reckon there are at least 5 who could win it and it wouldn't surprise you...very tough indeed and I'm almost happy to be working on the Friday so I don't have to ponder it all day.

The bolded bit is complete nonsense.

If you believe his connections that he's the horse he was 8/1 is a fantastic price and should be a maximum bet.

If you believe your eyes that Kempton was a signpost that he's finished in top company then 12/1 is a terrible price.

The difference between 8/1 and 12/1 is tiny in % terms.

What do you believe ? Smiley

I'm unsure lol.

I tend to believe my eyes, I wouldn't play at either price, but the uncertainty is what makes it such a hard betting race.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
mickyp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »

I'm looking to get binocular beat.Think it may have been a one off last year.Quite sweet on Hurricane Fly ,though lack of course form is a worry.Peddler cross goes tomorrow at Kelso ,its been chucking it down here for 3 days so if it turns into a hard race it might affect his chances..Struggling to get my head round most of the races at the moment tbh.
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »

Gold Cup looks really wide open, Kempes was impressive on Sunday and is tempting at the price, but a flat horse hasn't won this race since Alverton!

Name seems familiar.

Can't wait for the Festival.
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »

I've got Megastar in the Supreme Novices. Running today at Sandown.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »

One of my people is on that EW @ 33s. Has a decent profile, just think it will be outpaced in the Supreme when push comes to shove. He doesn't and is as shrewd as the day is long. Lets seeeee how it gets on today.

Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »

One of my people is on that EW @ 33s. Has a decent profile, just think it will be outpaced in the Supreme when push comes to shove. He doesn't and is as shrewd as the day is long. Lets seeeee how it gets on today.
Sigh not seen the race or conditions but was hoping for a win today to boost my confidence
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »

Yeah, your probably gg now.
 Sad

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:36 AM »

Having been pulled up when 5-1 for the RSA Chase at last season's festival, Williams fears Diamond Harry could be at his best later in the year.

"I'm not as happy with him as I was going into the Hennessy and he is possibly an autumn horse," Williams said.

"When you look back at his form he has always been at his best in November and December and then once we get into the new year, for whatever reason, he seems to be not quite as good."

The trainer, whose charge is owned by Paul Duffy, also told Racing UK: "Diamond Harry is just not showing the same sparkle as he does in the autumn."

Shocked
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:31:44 AM by Horneris » Logged

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 05:06:44 AM »

copy and pasted from the 2008 thread, cant wait for this year

i went in 2005 and 2007 to cheltenham and the buzz is amazing. Gutted i can't muster a few lads fro the trip this year but they arent big racing fans.

In march 2005 i was still working at a local factory on nights to build a roll up and i was invited to make a 5-up for the trip to cheltenham for the thursday and friday.
The lads going were me 20 yrs  Steve 32 years   woody 42yrs   graham  55yrs   and jonny 65yrs. I can remember fllecing my bank account anc mustering £600 odd quid for the trip. On the day of the thursday I stuck my best shirt on, new jeans and a fancy longish bookie-esque coat and headed for the pick up. The journey was a good mix of bantor decent music and the words of wisdom from my co-workers on who would win each and every race,who would last the longest on the ale, and the journey seemed to take about a third of the near 3 hour drive.

We arrived in worcester (the closest we could get a hotel, obv i was on hotel duties) at about 10:45am, dropped our bags off and got str8 into the car for the drive str8 to the course. We were in the best mate enclosure and as soon inside i litterally jogged to the guiness tent where i presumed you could get beer. I had obv nominated myself for the 1st round but that didint matter a jot to me, i was absolutely buzzing. A new outfit a few quid in pocket a thirsty gut and a feastful of racing in store was enough to make even the most dry mouth water with excitement.

Once in the guiness tent, i soon realised that there was a live band on playing some golden oldies and the atmosphere was electric. I had never seen so many people, mainly elderly irishmen, drunk at midday in my life. They were all very jovial and very much in twine with the spirit of cheltenham races, one of a party atmosphere. On the two occasions i have visited the festival (4 days in total) ive not seen an ounce of bother as the universal behaviour of race fans seems probably the best of all sports ive ever been a part of or witnessed.

The beers started flowing prior to the 1st race as people were having a jig to cheesy numbers, mainly "is this the way to amirillo" where i felt the urge to ring my mate and sing down the phone to try and convey the atmosphere and maybe rub it in a little. It felt so euphoric, Red hot weather for that time of the year helped the beers flow down and i felt content to stay in the tent to watch the first few races on the big screen waiting for the lads to return to get their round and complain of bad beats, in this case trouble in running, bad rides, unfluent jumping. This of course was music to the ears of those of us who had just bagged a winner.

Its strange feeling backing a winner in racing it makes the punter feel like he is somehow 'in the know' and on a higher level than the 'mugs' who picked a horse that chased it home. Punters love being asked thier opinion prior to the race and almost go looking for the guy post race to gloat and to see if he took your words of wisdom into account. Of course it goes without saying that you won't endevour to look for the guy if your horse underperforms as the last thing on your mind, after screwing your ticket up and heading back to the drawing board, is the clueless person who sought your advice.

The Topic for discussion at the factory for weeks was between Steve and woody about the stayers hurdle, steve waxing lyrical on a nightly basis abou the chances of inglis drever, while woody telling all who would hear how badly barracuda will stuff it.  I had only been at the factory about 5 months prior to cheltenham and the lads made me feel very welcome after i admitted a passion for cards, racing and anything gambling. These were the the guys in charge of the night shift and made my life just about as easy as possible through the 7/8 months i was there, which lead to be getting an invite for cheltenham.  Getting the time off wasnt a problem.

So it was almost racetime in the stayers hurdle, my day had been a good one so far backing a 20/1 winner who i forget the name of £10 e/w that jotted up and by racetime of the stayers hurdle i was certainly merry. I was undecided about which of the big two in the race to back, eventually it came down to one thing. Who would gloat more out of steve and woody. Who would rub it in our faces if we didnt back it. Who would get their wad of money and waft it in my face. I decided that although woody would have a cocky and smug grin on his face for the next 11 months, the verbal punishment i would get from steve would be far more severe, therfore my mind had been made up. Inglis drever it was.

I decided to watch the race, absent of my 4 mates, in the guiness tent, i had £75 e/w at 11/2 on the horse and, if i remember correctly from 3 furlongs out there was only barracuda and inglis in the race. I tried to keep my composure as the whole racecourse was screaming for thier charge, however this composure didnt last long as entering the last furlong i was probably the loudest in there, Inglis was coming to win the race. Barracuda seemed like he had met his match this time as inglis began to drive clear in the last 200 yards for victory. I began to cheer uncontrollably, not only was i in my idea of heaven, with mates, warm day, few beers, but i had just had a big winner which returned me in the region of £700. I turned round eagerly awaiting the return of my mate steve who had a fair bit more on it including side bets with woody. After a few minutes he returned with the biggest beam i have ever seen appear on a face.

The banter and beer flowed for the following few races as the three of us that were in profit decided to take it steady the last 3 races and just keep drinking and cheering. The other two lads jonny and woody decided to go to the paddock in order to have a closer inspection of the competitiors in order to get out of the hole they had dug in the four races prior.

After we left the racecourse it was str8 in woody;s car. Not only had he not had a winner all day but he had been nominated as the driver so he hadnt had a drink either: double beat:   
We headed str8 back to the hotel, shower changed and taxi into cheltenham town centre where we were greeted my traditional irish music in all the pubs. Classincs such as wild rover and i'll take you home kathleen were commonplace. We somehow got ushered into the top floor of a certain bar which had been renovated into a strip club and thought it best to stay a while as not to upset anyone. By this time Steve and I were a bit worse for where, with the added handicap of losing our voices somewhere inbetween cheering inglis home and singing the chorus to wild rover in a drink induced frenzy in o'neills.

As we headed back to the hotel we all looked back with joy on what had been a great day, but even then steve and woody were contemplating the 1st race of gold cup day. We aririved back at the hotel at about 4:00am and got str8 to bed eagerly anticipating the next days racing. Good times were had by all..
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »

Having been pulled up when 5-1 for the RSA Chase at last season's festival, Williams fears Diamond Harry could be at his best later in the year.

"I'm not as happy with him as I was going into the Hennessy and he is possibly an autumn horse," Williams said.

"When you look back at his form he has always been at his best in November and December and then once we get into the new year, for whatever reason, he seems to be not quite as good."

The trainer, whose charge is owned by Paul Duffy, also told Racing UK: "Diamond Harry is just not showing the same sparkle as he does in the autumn."

Shocked

Yeah, not what you want to hear before such a big race.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »

Supreme Novices: Spirit Son EW @ 16s. Loving this one, won impressively on Sunday and as low as 6/1 in places

Arkle: Medermit WIN @ 12s. This is my other really good one, 9/2 most places after its decent win last weekend and I really fancy it at this stage.

Arkle: Captain Chris WIN @ 25s. This was my first antepost bet and its looking like a write off at this stage as will and should be aimed at The Jewson now, grrrrrr.

RSA Chase: Jessies Dream EW @ 14s. I should love this one as the price is now generally 8/1 but I haven't been overly impressed with the 2 runs since i've got on even though the price has contracted. Weird. Might be one to lay and take a freeroll on the day if poss (don't want to tie cash up by doing so now)

Grand Annual: Tanks For That WIN @ 14s. Doesn't fit the trends but Henderson would love to win this race for his Dads memory and the form of its 2nd to Woolcombe Folly on Tingle Creek day is incred because it actually clocked a similar time to Master Minded (albeit it off a lesser weight). Into 10s now.

Triumph Hurdle: Sam Winner WIN @ 12s. Can't get away from the 2 visually impressive wins over C & D including one beating Grandouet by 15 lengths (took 8lbs from that rival but still v decent) and its double the price of that horse. Seemed to love the hill. The last performance was horrible but a lot of horses hate Chepstow and that super tacky ground. Could be a winter horse but I take the risk at 12/1 with Ruby coming back and Nicholls so good at prepping them for the festival. Still 12/1 with Laddies.

Added the bottom two this week.

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 04:56:01 AM »

In terms of the Irish raiders I really like the look of Hurricane Fly in the Champion and So Young in the Neptune but am loathe to take single figure prices at the antepost stage of the markets. I hope I can still get 5/1 on the fly nearer the time. I think people forget that the horse beat Go Native by 10 lengths which was subsequently 11/4 fav for last years Champion. I think the horse has shown clear signs of returning to that form in its last couple of runs and could have beaten Solwhit by whatever distance it wanted. So Young has a similar profile to that which Mikael D'Haguenet had when winning the same race in 09.

Incred its like 2 and a half weeks!

Nico29

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:37 AM »

copy and pasted from the 2008 thread, cant wait for this year

i went in 2005 and 2007 to cheltenham and the buzz is amazing. Gutted i can't muster a few lads fro the trip this year but they arent big racing fans.

In march 2005 i was still working at a local factory on nights to build a roll up and i was invited to make a 5-up for the trip to cheltenham for the thursday and friday.
The lads going were me 20 yrs  Steve 32 years   woody 42yrs   graham  55yrs   and jonny 65yrs. I can remember fllecing my bank account anc mustering £600 odd quid for the trip. On the day of the thursday I stuck my best shirt on, new jeans and a fancy longish bookie-esque coat and headed for the pick up. The journey was a good mix of bantor decent music and the words of wisdom from my co-workers on who would win each and every race,who would last the longest on the ale, and the journey seemed to take about a third of the near 3 hour drive.

We arrived in worcester (the closest we could get a hotel, obv i was on hotel duties) at about 10:45am, dropped our bags off and got str8 into the car for the drive str8 to the course. We were in the best mate enclosure and as soon inside i litterally jogged to the guiness tent where i presumed you could get beer. I had obv nominated myself for the 1st round but that didint matter a jot to me, i was absolutely buzzing. A new outfit a few quid in pocket a thirsty gut and a feastful of racing in store was enough to make even the most dry mouth water with excitement.

Once in the guiness tent, i soon realised that there was a live band on playing some golden oldies and the atmosphere was electric. I had never seen so many people, mainly elderly irishmen, drunk at midday in my life. They were all very jovial and very much in twine with the spirit of cheltenham races, one of a party atmosphere. On the two occasions i have visited the festival (4 days in total) ive not seen an ounce of bother as the universal behaviour of race fans seems probably the best of all sports ive ever been a part of or witnessed.

The beers started flowing prior to the 1st race as people were having a jig to cheesy numbers, mainly "is this the way to amirillo" where i felt the urge to ring my mate and sing down the phone to try and convey the atmosphere and maybe rub it in a little. It felt so euphoric, Red hot weather for that time of the year helped the beers flow down and i felt content to stay in the tent to watch the first few races on the big screen waiting for the lads to return to get their round and complain of bad beats, in this case trouble in running, bad rides, unfluent jumping. This of course was music to the ears of those of us who had just bagged a winner.

Its strange feeling backing a winner in racing it makes the punter feel like he is somehow 'in the know' and on a higher level than the 'mugs' who picked a horse that chased it home. Punters love being asked thier opinion prior to the race and almost go looking for the guy post race to gloat and to see if he took your words of wisdom into account. Of course it goes without saying that you won't endevour to look for the guy if your horse underperforms as the last thing on your mind, after screwing your ticket up and heading back to the drawing board, is the clueless person who sought your advice.

The Topic for discussion at the factory for weeks was between Steve and woody about the stayers hurdle, steve waxing lyrical on a nightly basis abou the chances of inglis drever, while woody telling all who would hear how badly barracuda will stuff it.  I had only been at the factory about 5 months prior to cheltenham and the lads made me feel very welcome after i admitted a passion for cards, racing and anything gambling. These were the the guys in charge of the night shift and made my life just about as easy as possible through the 7/8 months i was there, which lead to be getting an invite for cheltenham.  Getting the time off wasnt a problem.

So it was almost racetime in the stayers hurdle, my day had been a good one so far backing a 20/1 winner who i forget the name of £10 e/w that jotted up and by racetime of the stayers hurdle i was certainly merry. I was undecided about which of the big two in the race to back, eventually it came down to one thing. Who would gloat more out of steve and woody. Who would rub it in our faces if we didnt back it. Who would get their wad of money and waft it in my face. I decided that although woody would have a cocky and smug grin on his face for the next 11 months, the verbal punishment i would get from steve would be far more severe, therfore my mind had been made up. Inglis drever it was.

I decided to watch the race, absent of my 4 mates, in the guiness tent, i had £75 e/w at 11/2 on the horse and, if i remember correctly from 3 furlongs out there was only barracuda and inglis in the race. I tried to keep my composure as the whole racecourse was screaming for thier charge, however this composure didnt last long as entering the last furlong i was probably the loudest in there, Inglis was coming to win the race. Barracuda seemed like he had met his match this time as inglis began to drive clear in the last 200 yards for victory. I began to cheer uncontrollably, not only was i in my idea of heaven, with mates, warm day, few beers, but i had just had a big winner which returned me in the region of £700. I turned round eagerly awaiting the return of my mate steve who had a fair bit more on it including side bets with woody. After a few minutes he returned with the biggest beam i have ever seen appear on a face.

The banter and beer flowed for the following few races as the three of us that were in profit decided to take it steady the last 3 races and just keep drinking and cheering. The other two lads jonny and woody decided to go to the paddock in order to have a closer inspection of the competitiors in order to get out of the hole they had dug in the four races prior.

After we left the racecourse it was str8 in woody;s car. Not only had he not had a winner all day but he had been nominated as the driver so he hadnt had a drink either: double beat:   
We headed str8 back to the hotel, shower changed and taxi into cheltenham town centre where we were greeted my traditional irish music in all the pubs. Classincs such as wild rover and i'll take you home kathleen were commonplace. We somehow got ushered into the top floor of a certain bar which had been renovated into a strip club and thought it best to stay a while as not to upset anyone. By this time Steve and I were a bit worse for where, with the added handicap of losing our voices somewhere inbetween cheering inglis home and singing the chorus to wild rover in a drink induced frenzy in o'neills.

As we headed back to the hotel we all looked back with joy on what had been a great day, but even then steve and woody were contemplating the 1st race of gold cup day. We aririved back at the hotel at about 4:00am and got str8 to bed eagerly anticipating the next days racing. Good times were had by all..

Have never been chelts, that made me tempted to go this yr!

Great write up.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »

In terms of the Irish raiders I really like the look of Hurricane Fly in the Champion and So Young in the Neptune but am loathe to take single figure prices at the antepost stage of the markets. I hope I can still get 5/1 on the fly nearer the time. I think people forget that the horse beat Go Native by 10 lengths which was subsequently 11/4 fav for last years Champion. I think the horse has shown clear signs of returning to that form in its last couple of runs and could have beaten Solwhit by whatever distance it wanted. So Young has a similar profile to that which Mikael D'Haguenet had when winning the same race in 09.

Incred its like 2 and a half weeks!

I'm in the Hurricane Fly camp too but like you have not yet invested.

If you see any 5/1 NRNB give us a shout please.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17:54 AM »

me trying to be clever yesterday, backed starluck for the arkle before its run, where it won well and jumped slightly left handed, nw for the arke then, it got backd from 18 to 9 then all of a sudden news filtered around that the trainer had aintree in mind... grfedws
if its only a 9/1 shot for the arkle surely it has to got there?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: