blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  should i have passed??
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: should i have passed??  (Read 2911 times)
dan

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2005, 01:59:15 PM »

i'm not trying to dress this up as a bad beat because as far as im concerned he has made a move/semi bluff and has caught what he is going for.So i just want to know what people think.

late stages of a live comp, only a £10 rebuy but £1060 for 1st £60 for 9th.
there are 15 of us left 260,000 chips in play i have 24,000. blinds are pretty big cant remember if they are 1500/3000 or 2000/4000. im in the big blind with  all fold around to the small blind and he makes up the blind. i check,which before you all say i should of raised I KNOW because if he had a bigger King ie KJ,KQ he would of raised and same story if he had A10.

anyway:

the flop is  .

he is to act 1st. looks at his cards and annouces all in for 15k. the fact that he looked at his cards convinced me he had a club and not the ready made flush or 2 pairs because i think you would know when you hit.

i thought for a bit and called and my read was right he had the  and a rag card 5 or something like that. he hit the club on the river to give him his flush and me down to the felt.

my reason for calling this is that i thought if i win this hand i have a good chance of winning the comp rather than waiting for the short stacks to go out and creep into the money.

like i said im not saying it is a bad beat but would you put your tourney like on the line as a 2/1 favourite or was it a bad call

thanks.
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 02:02:39 PM »

IMO Its a bad call, as you could be beaten already.
dan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:07:21 PM »

i really didnt think i was beaten by the flush. he had to look at his cards to see if he had a club at all if you have 2 clubs you know and all that is in the pot are the blinds its a massive overbet if he had the flush so he wouldnt of moved all in and tried to get more out of me surely
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 02:08:01 PM »

£1060 for 1st £60 for 9th.

That says it all for me. Good read, good call.

I would have put him to all of them pre-flop though, lest I get involved in a post-flop big blind/small blind pissing contest. I'm not a big fan seeing flops when 15 of you share just over 60 big blinds.

(If you want to trap me pre-flop in the late stages of a tournament, flat call me from the small blind Cheesy)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 02:20:40 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 02:10:41 PM »

If I knew what he had i'd call here - I don't think you'll find a better situation than this with your stack and high blinds.

Also you have to trust your reads - if they're wrong you can work on them until they improve. So although you don't know what he had, your read says you're infront and you should call.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 02:11:13 PM »

IMO Its a bad call, as you could be beaten already.

It's the late stages of a tournament small blind vs. big blind contest, not a deep stacked Omaha cash game. Top pair is a monster in this situation.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 02:40:47 PM »

i think the only thing you did wrong was not raising pre-flop
i would have made the same call as you

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
bundle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 10:18:10 PM »

It was a good read, a good call, YOU WERE AHEAD.

Nothing more you can do after that. and as you said you already know the mistake you made pre-flop.

UL MATE
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »

The fact that he checked his hand before going allin would have put me off!!
Simply because he either has a flush or is drawing to it, either way i don't want to call.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 01:16:37 PM »

The fact that he checked his hand before going allin would have put me off!!
Simply because he either has a flush or is drawing to it

When the flop comes all one suit and a player checks back at their hand, the manner in which they do so can tip you off as to whether they have the made flush or simply a draw. Most of the time they won't check when they have it already. Dan was reasonably sure he had the draw.

ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 01:29:20 PM »

I know, that worries me too!!
Ok now we know he is drawing to at least 9 outs (at least), i don't like the odds of having to put 15k into a pot without even 2-1 pot odds.
Even if i know i'm ahead the other could well be favourite, if you factor in the chances of the made flush then it's not looking good at all.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »

I know, that worries me too!!
Ok now we know he is drawing to at least 9 outs (at least), i don't like the odds of having to put 15k into a pot without even 2-1 pot odds.
Even if i know i'm ahead the other could well be favourite, if you factor in the chances of the made flush then it's not looking good at all.

Don't need pot odds when you're the favourite. Because of the physial read that suggests otherwise, the chances that he has a made flush are quite small (say 5%). When you factor this in, you're still 60% to win the pot.

ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 01:45:08 PM »

60% if you know his holding yes, i didn't mean that.
You are a dog to KJ, marginal favourite to K9 etc.

Of course not.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »

Correct call in my mind, but lesson learned I think. Raise preflop would of been the better move
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 11:36:29 PM »

errrrrrrm.... what are you more than 60% favourute versus-----  £10 rebuy i probably think and think and..............fold have to put him on flush draw with a live card or two pairs
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: