blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:38:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things that piss you off!
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 ... 206 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things that piss you off!  (Read 415712 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

From the output of the inimitable Victoria Coren and oh so very very true

...Nobody in the UK displays a house number properly. You can never see them from the road. Some of the houses don't have numbers at all, they have names. Some of which are puns. As for signs with the actual road name on them, we're all over the bleeding shop. Sometimes they're up on the side of a building, sometimes they're attached to poles in the pavement. Half the time, they're not there at all. And this in a country where the roads are all weird and wiggly! Have you ever tried finding someone's house at night? You're up and down the whole postcode with a torch and a pair of binoculars....

More here...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/03/great-reasons-to-leave-britain

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1576 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »

...Nobody in the UK displays a house number properly. You can never see them from the road. Some of the houses don't have numbers at all, they have names. Some of which are puns. As for signs with the actual road name on them, we're all over the bleeding shop. Sometimes they're up on the side of a building, sometimes they're attached to poles in the pavement. Half the time, they're not there at all. And this in a country where the roads are all weird and wiggly! Have you ever tried finding someone's house at night? You're up and down the whole postcode with a torch and a pair of binoculars....

More here...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/03/great-reasons-to-leave-britain

Great article.  Love the line:

"Even civil partnership is confined to particular states, a restriction that I consider, frankly, to be a bit gay."

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »

More here...

Great article.  Love the line:

"Even civil partnership is confined to particular states, a restriction that I consider, frankly, to be a bit gay."

Excellent, maybe we should get her to write a weekly column for this thread.

Ah! The element of surprise
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »

The way football attracts the biggest idiots. Why do fans have to be segregated to avoid fighting? Why do rival fans target other fans? Why do people lob coins at players?

Abs love the game btw but hate the way a large % of idiots behave, at all levels, all over the world.

Funny, I came here to have a little rant about people not being tribal about football. It's what its' about, or was until it became a 'family game', we (I mean real fans for want of a better word) don't want it to be an amaericanised hot dog fest. Football all over the world is tribal. Now don't get me wrong, some of the violence is so wrong I agree, but it was a working class game where men went to vent their weekly stresses on the terraces, that's gone from English football now, well maybe not from the lower leagues. Football fans fighting football fans is just part of that, violence never spread beyond the confines of supporters versus supporters, if you didn't want in you didn't go in colours, simple.

Lobbing coins at players, random violence against those not involved, and attacks with knives, axes, or any weapons in general and many other idiot moves can be found away from football and no way do I condone this, but some good old banter, and the atmosphere created by separated fans is what made football for most real fans go for, it's a release, take that away and the games just going to be some watered down crap full of prawn sandwich eating idiots with more money than sense.

rant over

the view that if you did not want trouble you did not get it is very blinkered at best

having pints of piss thrown over you for being in a section of the crowd is a fairly minor example

Think i've had this violence discussion before here, and I did day that there we're and always will be the idiots that took violence beyond the football crews, they we're usually dealt with accordingly by the crews, so I disagree it's a blinkered view, would you expand on what prompted you to comment in that manner?

And the piss throwing was way back in this discussion and in relation to me reflex attitude to scousers, so kinda irrelevant to the current discussion.

remembered why i dont bother usually getting involved in things like this

what prompted me? it is a forum were i believe the idea is to exchange views

your posts have an aggressive tone in my opinion so i will leave you to it

No aggression here, just a bit of passion, and a love of questioning people who take everything they hear from the government as fact.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 06, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »

Banks PCI charges.

For years we've run a business, both on the web and an outlet quite well with no security issues. Now the banks decide that we need some PCI bollocks to make sure we don't have security risks and are giving out card information.   Firstly, I appreciate the need for care and attention and we certainly do keep card details confidential and don't store them.  What I don't need is rip off charges to tell me that I'm non compliant all of a sudden.    Apparently when we first heard about it and I registered, I only did our website compliance, not our card terminal one so have been paying charges for that.  They obviously wont link the accounts despite them being with the same providers as that's common sense.

So I'm filling the questions in online

"Is your web server (and any other computers that are publicly accessible from the internet) located in a DMZ, protected by the firewall yet segmented from your internal network?" erm......
"Is your firewall configured to limit traffic from the internet to the DMZ to authorised services (protocols and ports) only?" que?  

I have a wesbite, hosted on a secure network and we don't keep card details, why can't they put it in plain English?  Oh, they can, the support will help you do this, the cost is only $680.00

"Do you regularly have "penetration tests" performed by qualified personnel or third parties to simulate attacks from both outside and inside your business?" Sod off, this is going one way and it's going to get expensive.  Where's the one man band who doesn't give out details option?

What a load of shit. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:12:55 PM by Silo Graham » Logged

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1580 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

Sounds like a load of bollocks.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 06, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »

The statistics don't back up your argument. MintTrav is correct. 

Yeah, ok. Thanks for the input. So many stabbings and shootings in the 80's I must have missed. Had the statistics argument here before, do you believe everything you read from the government?

Just wanted to add, i've looked I'm not condoning violence, at football matches or anywhere, pisses me off when I get mis-quoted or black/white answers and people stating facts and statistics that are debatable.

That's all, peace out.

LOL.  You know nothing about my knowledge of the subject, and where my information comes from (a good friend of mine who is a Professor of Criminology by the way, who has written extensive papers on the subject and is paid handsomely for his research and writings) - but I'll bow down to the wisdom of someone who views football hooliganism through rose-tinted glasses and thinks that football discussions should be centred around bile and hatred.

So much lol here, way to go trying to put words in my mouth, bile, hatred, wtf? Hate is an overused word, one I stay away from. Whilst anyone paid handsomely to compile statistics, probably needs to walk the streets a bit more, whilst I respect their work to get where they're, it's not the full picture by a long shot.

Let's say it's best we agree to disagree, as anyone mindlessly stating the facts of others that they in fact know nothing about just pisses me off Tongue

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1582 on: February 06, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »

The statistics don't back up your argument. MintTrav is correct. 

Yeah, ok. Thanks for the input. So many stabbings and shootings in the 80's I must have missed. Had the statistics argument here before, do you believe everything you read from the government?

Just wanted to add, i've looked I'm not condoning violence, at football matches or anywhere, pisses me off when I get mis-quoted or black/white answers and people stating facts and statistics that are debatable.

That's all, peace out.

LOL.  You know nothing about my knowledge of the subject, and where my information comes from (a good friend of mine who is a Professor of Criminology by the way, who has written extensive papers on the subject and is paid handsomely for his research and writings) - but I'll bow down to the wisdom of someone who views football hooliganism through rose-tinted glasses and thinks that football discussions should be centred around bile and hatred.

So much lol here, way to go trying to put words in my mouth, bile, hatred, wtf? Hate is an overused word, one I stay away from. Whilst anyone paid handsomely to compile statistics, probably needs to walk the streets a bit more, whilst I respect their work to get where they're, it's not the full picture by a long shot.

Let's say it's best we agree to disagree, as anyone mindlessly stating the facts of others that they in fact know nothing about just pisses me off Tongue

Strawman arguments piss me off.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 06, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »

It is Boshi, it is.  99.99% of the public won't even know what PCI Compliance is.

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 06, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »

Falliciments

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1585 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »

It is Boshi, it is.  99.99% of the public won't even know what PCI Compliance is.

Have you spoken to anyone about it?  Sounds like they're trying to rip you off.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 06, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

Yeah, it's a proper thing, def not a scam, it's just a ball-ache.  I'll get round it.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1587 on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »

Yeah, it's a proper thing, def not a scam, it's just a ball-ache.  I'll get round it.

Maybe there's a way round it though - without paying out so much?

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »

There is and you'll find I'm compliant.

It's actually free to become compliant, assuming you have IT Departments that simulate penetration attacks and you have network layouts and all sorts of other stuff.  It just costs money for them to answer the questions for you.    Given that we use the company themselves to do our online payments, I should think that they are compliant and therefore I am so I can safely answer yes.      It's the questions I have trouble understanding.

Failing all that, it's a tenner a month to be non compliant. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:44:34 PM by Silo Graham » Logged

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 07, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

Something else pissing me off but I have more of a general quesiton about it.  Prob one for Boshi!

We regularly get people phoning up "offering" to get us on the first page of Google in the natural listing etc, save us money on the PPC, basically looking for business.  Trouble is they never take no for an answer and generally get quite rude.  This chap just phoned me and I got quite irate with him after he told me to "sort my head out" and "I need help mate" after I told him we're ok.   Question is can they do any harm to my website? 

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 ... 206 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: