blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things that piss you off!
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 ... 206 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things that piss you off!  (Read 415650 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1590 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »

Something else pissing me off but I have more of a general quesiton about it.  Prob one for Boshi!

We regularly get people phoning up "offering" to get us on the first page of Google in the natural listing etc, save us money on the PPC, basically looking for business.  Trouble is they never take no for an answer and generally get quite rude.  This chap just phoned me and I got quite irate with him after he told me to "sort my head out" and "I need help mate" after I told him we're ok.   Question is can they do any harm to my website? 

Best to tell them you have recently hired someone and they're working on it and a brand new site - so their call's come at just the wrong time, so thanks and good bye!

As for if they can do any damage in terms of SEO, well yes and no.  Technically, it is possible to do negative SEO as the recent Penguin update by Google shows that bad inbound links can have a detrimental effect on your site.  However, they'd need to know what they're doing and it's unlikely they do if they're calling you up like that to sell their wares.

You can also use Google Webmaster Tools to keep an eye on your backlinks, and use the disavow tool to remove any that you think have been placed by someone else maliciously.  This only happens very rarely though, so not really worth worrying about.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »

Kinboshi is it true that rivals sit clicking on your site all day just to use up all the credit you have on your accounts?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 07, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »

Kinboshi is it true that rivals sit clicking on your site all day just to use up all the credit you have on your accounts?

Google has protection against that

Thanks Dan, I'll check out the tools

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1593 on: February 07, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

That's not related to SEO, you're talking about CPC (Adwords on Google) where you pay far the text ads at the side of the page.

As Graham said, there are click-fraud protection measures on Adwords to prevent someone from doing this, and also to prevent you from doing it. Why would someone want to click on their own ads and cost themselves money you might ask?  Well, the way Adwords works isn't on a simple bidding process where the highest bidder appears the highest for their chosen search phrases.  There are other elements that come into play as well. For example, if your ad is clicked on twice as often as another, then this clickthrough rate (CTR) is taken into account and used as a multiplier, and the amount you need to pay to appear above the competitor who is getting half the CTR your ad is achieving is a little over half what he's paying.

There's more to it than just that though, there's a quality score that is worked out for each ad and this affects the visibility of your advert and also the cost of it.  More on that here: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: February 08, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »

Guys going all road rage on you when you don't know the roads and make a genuine mistake and are in the wrong lane.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »

Guys going all road rage on you when you don't know the roads and make a genuine mistake and are in the wrong lane.

That just makes me laugh Smiley

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »

I nearly had my head kicked in many years ago by some massive black dude when I did that and he saw me laughing. Was in Bolton about 10 years ago, nearly shit myself lol.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 08, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »

People that say what as soon as you have said something, then answer to what you said as soon as they said what.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

People that say what as soon as you have said something, then answer to what you said as soon as they said what.

What? I agree

Ah! The element of surprise
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:32 AM »

What? I agree

Cheesy Cheesy

Also those awkward McDonalds trays that make you put your iphone in the bin along with your rubbish.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 08, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »

What? I agree

Cheesy Cheesy

Also those awkward McDonalds trays that make you put your iphone in the bin along with your rubbish.

Lol I did that once years ago with my very first mobile phone ever, my boss was with me that day and was absolutely pissing himself because he phoned it up for me and we heard the ringing coming from the bin.   Cheesy
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 08, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »

For want of a better word, what?

How does a tray make you put your phone in the bin, do you not carry it around in your pocket?

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »

I nearly had my head kicked in many years ago by some massive black dude when I did that and he saw me laughing. Was in Bolton about 10 years ago, nearly shit myself lol.

Would it have been less scarey if it was a big white dude.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 08, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »

Cheesy

I used to get agitated when I was younger, but soon realised it was pointless getting annoyed at stuff like that.

I found it more amusing to pretend I thought they were waving and to smile/wave back Cheesy

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »

Would it have been less scarey if it was a big white dude.

I doubt it. 
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 ... 206 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: