blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:50:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  2 Pre flop situations should i have called
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 Pre flop situations should i have called  (Read 2178 times)
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2006, 02:47:28 AM »

Ok just played for a couple of hours on 100NL on prima and came up against two situations that are similar. Would like the views of people on whether calling or folding is the most profitable action.

First one im SB and am dealt it is folded to me. I raise to 4 dollars (blinds .5/1), the BB (who has just sat down) raises all in for a 100 dollars. What is the minimum holding you have to have here to call this overbet.

2nd situation im dealt  in mid position with one limper the UTG+1 (who is a loose aggressive fish) i raise to $5. It is folded back round to the limper who then moves all in for $70.

Any views on either situation.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:48:45 AM »

fold he first hand call the second

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:50:41 AM »

Ok ironside speaks but i fear this might be part of his obsession with big slick Cheesy
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:55:59 AM »

As I read it these are cash games, I would call both no probs, Even if you lose both you reload and win it back in no time anyways.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 02:59:26 AM »

Yes they are cash games so it is just a case of whether calling is profitable in the long term
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:02:11 AM »

nah its due to pot odds against proberable holdings

with TT you are a big dog to 4 hands and 50/50 with most other hands that the person could be playing

i really doubt they would over play a small pair like that in a cash game

with AK your a big dog via 1 hand slight dog v 1 hand big favourite via any Ace face and 50/50 with any pair (other that the 2 already mentioned)

in the first hand there is $105.50 in the pot and you have to put in $96 to win it pot odds of around 2.1
second hand there is $77.50 in pot and you need to put in $65 pot odds of around 2.2

with TT i would want odds of around 2.3 -2.4 to make a call like this with AK due to the nature of hands you could be facing i would want around 2.1 - 2.2 before i would call

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 03:03:18 AM »

I am with Ironside on this, scary!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:04:47 AM »

Iron

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:14:20 AM »

I aggree with iron with the math, however on the tens i think the player is pushing all of his chips knowing that no one usually playing at that level ( usually decent players )  are calling, I would not be surprised if he had ace rag or a couple of rags.  Just my read on the situation.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 03:25:21 AM »

Yes iron exactly the kind of post and analysis i was looking for nice one. Being the rock i am i passed both hands but i am starting to think the 2nd situation the best action was to call. The bb in the first hand i actually ended up, setting up when he went on tilt( after having aces cracked) and i took about 40 dollars off him flat calling with  from the sb. He pushed in again and i called sure he was tiliting he flipped over    .
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 03:37:28 AM »

First one im SB and am dealt it is folded to me. I raise to 4 dollars (blinds .5/1), the BB (who has just sat down) raises all in for a 100 dollars. What is the minimum holding you have to have here to call this overbet.

Just fold it. It's possible that he's on tilt from another table and has come to gamble first hand with any two cards, but...

some people do this with aces so people don't think they've got aces.

If you call, you can still easily be beaten.
Highstack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:30:27 AM »

Two easy folds, although the range of hands that I am attributing to them, mean that you are probably in front on both occasions.

Get em in first on your terms. You are unlikely to be a massive favourite in either hand and the ridiculous overbets mean that you will find other opportunities. In these two hands you have invested a total of $9 so no problem. Your only concern is that someone else gets their stack before you do.

Even against fish, without a monster it is not a good long term policy to be calling off massive chunks of cash pre-flop when you have no idea where you are in the hand.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 02:35:28 PM »

in the first hand there is $105.50 in the pot and you have to put in $96 to win it pot odds of around 2.1

Wouldn't it be 2.1 if there was $192 in the pot.

Apologies if I'm being thick.

My assessment is that you to need to be around evens chance to call this. Ie, hope he has QQ, JJ, TT.

I'd fold. Too often they've got aces.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »

My assessment is that you to need to be around evens chance to call this. Ie, hope he has QQ, JJ, TT.

sorry snoopy working on the metric system it would be 11-10 or 2.1

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 11:38:14 PM »

sorry snoopy working on the metric system it would be 11-10 or 2.1

I'm with you now.  Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: