blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Tottenham riots
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tottenham riots  (Read 54351 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: August 19, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »

Pretty much spot on

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: August 19, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »

Here's a good article showing there's nothing new under the sun. (And it's an egalitarian 'everyone can read it' article rather than Kinboshi's elitist 'you have to be this rich to read it' NY Times link)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/2011/08/civil-disorder-and-looting-hits-britain-0
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »

Here's a good article showing there's nothing new under the sun. (And it's an egalitarian communist 'everyone can read it' article rather than Kinboshi's elitist 'you have to be this rich to read it' NY Times link)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/2011/08/civil-disorder-and-looting-hits-britain-0

FYP.

But the article is obv not wrong.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: August 19, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »

in the mean time, on the other side of the pond;

http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-city-sets-youth-curfew-weekend-shooting-025521638.html

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 19, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »

Good articles.  I can honestly in over twenty years of following politics I have never come across such an ill thought out and counterproductive policy as this idea of evicting the families of those caught in these riots from their council houses.

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 19, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »

His government’s wrongheaded austerity policies have meant fewer public sector jobs and social services. ...  What Britain’s sputtering economy really needs is short-term stimulus, not more budget cutting. Unfortunately, there is no sign that Mr. Cameron has figured that out.

Ah, would that be the same sort of stimulus that has been an expensive failure everywhere else?

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »

His government’s wrongheaded austerity policies have meant fewer public sector jobs and social services. ...  What Britain’s sputtering economy really needs is short-term stimulus, not more budget cutting. Unfortunately, there is no sign that Mr. Cameron has figured that out.

Ah, would that be the same sort of stimulus that has been an expensive failure everywhere else?

That'd be the ones. The good thing about this economic crisis is that there are very easy answers to the whole thing....unfortunately no-one can agree on which easy answer will actually work.

neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: August 19, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

The NYTimes paywall is reall easy to get round - google "wrong-answers-in-britain NYtimes" and then click on the link from there and you can get in. Googleing any page description & NYT will get you into all their pages.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 19, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »

Here's a good article showing there's nothing new under the sun. (And it's an egalitarian 'everyone can read it' article rather than Kinboshi's elitist 'you have to be this rich to read it' NY Times link)

This

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: August 19, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »

The NYTimes paywall is reall easy to get round - google "wrong-answers-in-britain NYtimes" and then click on the link from there and you can get in. Googleing any page description & NYT will get you into all their pages.

Can't believe you're advocating stealing the NY Times like that.

You may as well just throw a chair through their window and loot a copy.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 19, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »

The paperback version of the out of print book mentioned in Andrew's article (Hooligan: A History of Respectable Fears) are being sold for £60. Somebody somewhere must be beginning work on a second edition.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: August 19, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »

I think I got to the page from twitter so that's probably the same as going from google.

Anyway, Andrew's article was better.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: August 19, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

Knee-jerk, over-the-top sentences?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/19/riots-mother-looted-shorts-freed

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 19, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »

Her actions were only loosely connected with the riots, sentence was ridic.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/08/boy-riots-arrested-tv-cameras

Oh dear.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: