blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272598 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The unofficial Book Thread which doesn't look as good but was here first
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The unofficial Book Thread which doesn't look as good but was here first  (Read 13738 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »

Currently reading Derren Browns book Tricks of the Mind, where he reveals many of his own tricks as well as discusses things like belief, paranormal stuff, cold readers etc

hooked, Ive already learned a new way to memorize things that I will use for the rest of my life. Its also quite funny.

'Tis good.  I've forgotten all the memory tricks in it though...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »

I'm to lazy to read nowadays. Audiobooks FTW

Steig Larsson - Girl with the dragon tattoo was good
I just finished all 32 hours of 'this sceptered isle' that was stunningly good, got to love the bbc.
Stephen frys autobiography was a bit toss.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »

Currently reading Derren Browns book Tricks of the Mind, where he reveals many of his own tricks as well as discusses things like belief, paranormal stuff, cold readers etc

hooked, Ive already learned a new way to memorize things that I will use for the rest of my life. Its also quite funny.

I read about 50 pages of that and thought that he come across as a prick so didn't bother reading any more..lol
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »

loved the derren brown book

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 11:45:36 PM »

I just finished all 32 hours of 'this sceptered isle' that was stunningly good, got to love the bbc.

Audible.co.uk?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »

Audible.co.uk?

not exactly.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »

They're quite good. Have a deal where for £109 you get 24 audiobook tokens.

I dare say there are ways to obtain them for £0.00 in a slightly dodgy manner. I ain't judgin, I end up watching naughty NFL feeds every Sunday.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »

I got the book about Pablo Escobar that Hopkin recommended in Ray's diary and thoroughly enjoyed it, as Ray pointed out it was rather one sided...

I followed that up with 'Killing Pablo' by Mark Bowden which is the same story viewed from the perspective of the Columbian Authorities and US embassy/forces - which is pretty much the opposite side to the one above. It's odd in that the two books contradict each other in the most mundane ways - e.g. This one says they used messenger pigeons when in jail and the other book denies it. I also enjoyed the book though and ended up buying several more by the author (inc Black Hawk Down) and will let you know if they're any good.

I'm currently reading John Peel's (auto)biography. Brackets because he died halfway through writing it and his family took over, so it's a combination of auto and half not. I think tikay would approve of the second half of the book as, unlike Chris Evan's books, the chapters are rather long... I say chapters but it's actually just one (as far as I can tell) for a few hundred pages.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »

Planning to read Chris Evans' biog soon as my Mam just bought it.
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »

I got the book about Pablo Escobar that Hopkin recommended in Ray's diary and thoroughly enjoyed it, as Ray pointed out it was rather one sided...

I followed that up with 'Killing Pablo' by Mark Bowden which is the same story viewed from the perspective of the Columbian Authorities and US embassy/forces - which is pretty much the opposite side to the one above. It's odd in that the two books contradict each other in the most mundane ways - e.g. This one says they used messenger pigeons when in jail and the other book denies it. I also enjoyed the book though and ended up buying several more by the author (inc Black Hawk Down) and will let you know if they're any good.

I'm currently reading John Peel's (auto)biography. Brackets because he died halfway through writing it and his family took over, so it's a combination of auto and half not. I think tikay would approve of the second half of the book as, unlike Chris Evan's books, the chapters are rather long... I say chapters but it's actually just one (as far as I can tell) for a few hundred pages.

The same author wrote black hawk down......I recommend

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »

Anyone read any of the following:

- Man and Boy (I think it's my favourite book - amazing read but it was quite a few years ago now that I read it). I think it's by Tony Parsons.

For some reason I thought Guy had mentioned this and tweeted him to say thanks as i enjoyed it.  No wonder he didn't answer me.  I bought it off back of this recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I thought the last page was a bit too sacharine but other than that thanks a lot.  Others by Parsons worth a try?  I get through about two books a week and it is really hard keeping myself with a list of things I actually want to read.  I finished Atomised by Michel Houlebecq this morning.  No idea what to make of that....in fact not sure of the whole thing was meant to be some kind of metaphor i didn't really understand.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »

Also read 'The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim' by Jonathan Coe this week which is very enjoyable but had literally the most ridiculous and unneccesary last two pages.  Seemed to be a theme with the books I read this week.

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »

Planning to read Chris Evans' biog soon as my Mam just bought it.

The first or second book? They have the second in the works for pretty cheap... I enjoyed them both and thought the title of the first book "It's Not What You Think" was rather appropriate because it wasn't what I expected at all.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:29 AM »

I'm currently reading the latest Lee Childs book 'The Affair'. Totally hooked on the series, and recommend it to anyone who likes 'action thrillers'.
Also currently reading the Wallander series.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »

How many people read multiple books at once? I cant do it, but I guess its just a bit like watching a schedule of TV shows in a week instead of a film or someink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: