blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The unofficial Book Thread which doesn't look as good but was here first
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The unofficial Book Thread which doesn't look as good but was here first  (Read 13744 times)
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »

Never been a non fiction fan myself. In fact I can't think of a single non fiction book I've read.

Am currently reading Tony Blair's autobiography. Really enjoying it too. Just saying

Barring the obvious response that TB's book is fiction, you got a short memory George?
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »

I finished reading the final book in the Jo Nesbo crime thriller series whilst in Malia. 6 books in total, all very good.

Would thoroughly recommend to anyone who likes the Millennium trilogy books, and would be surprised if they weren't made in to films at some point.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »

I have just finished reading all three volumes of Chris Mullins memoirs and would thoroughly recommend for those with any interest in goverment, politics and, in particular, a slightly alternative view of the New Labour years.  We need more politicians like him.

I love political diaries/biographies. Alastair Campbell and Alan Clark both very entertaining/interesting, surprisingly they were good friends. I read a brilliant book on FDR called the Lion and the Fox but my favourite political book is Francis Wheen's book on Marx, well worth a read and full of interesting surprises. I've read nearly all the other angles from within the Labour party on New Labour so will definitely take a look at the Chris Mullins memoirs.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »

Never been a non fiction fan myself. In fact I can't think of a single non fiction book I've read.

Am currently reading Tony Blair's autobiography. Really enjoying it too. Just saying

Barring the obvious response that TB's book is fiction, you got a short memory George?

I'm a twat

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »

I mainly read biographies, but rarely poltical ones.

Some of my recent favourites :

Gypsy Boy / Mikey Walsh
Probably the book I read the quickest (was going to put 'enjoyed most', but it's pretty gritty stuff, and enjoyed doesn't seem the right word).
Interesting story, and very well told.

Borstal Girl / Eileen Mackenney
Nearly  binned it after 2  or 3 pages... she's a criminal class , East London lady, and writes as she probably talks... every other line has f..., or f...ing in it.
Persevered, and worth the effort.
Really fascinating (and violent / shocking) life of crime and struggle.

How Not to be a Professional Footballer / Paul Merson
Would recommend to anyone with a vague interest in football (or alcohol, or gambling).

A Pocketful of  Holes and Dreams / Jeff Pearce
Working class  boy made good. Very likeable chap, unable to read or write when he left school, battling against the odds.

Back from the Brink / Paul McGrath
One  of my favourite  players 20 ish years ago, and  some stunning revelations, particularly relating to his alcoholism, and how he still managed to play week in, week out at the top level.

Sounds a bit gruesome as an ensemble. I read a lot of less serious stuff though - enjoyed Peter Kay's books, and read two volumes by Michael J Fox recently (although I suppose  they could hardly be described as light hearted).

I'm between books at the minute, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »

Gypsy Boy / Mikey Walsh
Probably the book I read the quickest (was going to put 'enjoyed most', but it's pretty gritty stuff, and enjoyed doesn't seem the right word).

Nearly  binned it after 2  or 3 pages... she's a criminal class , East London lady, and writes as she probably talks... every other line has f..., or f...ing in it.

Would recommend to anyone with a vague interest in football (or alcohol, or gambling).

Working class  boy made good. Very likeable chap, unable to read or write when he left school, battling against the odds.

One  of my favourite  players 20 ish years ago, and  some stunning revelations, particularly relating to his alcoholism, and how he still managed to play week in, week out at the top level.

Sounds a bit gruesome as an ensemble. I read a lot of less serious stuff though - enjoyed Peter Kay's books, and read two volumes by Michael J Fox recently (although I suppose  they could hardly be described as light hearted).

Based on those I reckon there's a good chance you'd like A Million Tiny Pieces by James Frey. It's mostly autobiographical and hard going at times but a truly remarkable story.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »

Based on those I reckon there's a good chance you'd like A Million Tiny Pieces by James Frey. It's mostly autobiographical and hard going at times but a truly remarkable story.

Ordered... thank you.

First  review I read on Amazon said :
I was not aware of the controversy surrounding the book when I read it, so took it at face value. However at many times the story felt unreal.
I am pretty sure most of this is seriously embellished (even more than the author now admits) - the story reads like a hollywood movie script - a fatherly mafia boss, a boxing champ, a supreme court judge and a deep, caring, loving crack addicted girlfriend are all major characters.

Will give it a go though.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »

Anyone read any of the following:

- Man and Boy (I think it's my favourite book - amazing read but it was quite a few years ago now that I read it). I think it's by Tony Parsons.

- A child called It. The first in a trilogy by Dave Pelzer.

I mostly read autobiographies though, usually sportsmen. Read everything from Dwight Yorke's and John Terry's 'My winning Season' to Andre Agassi (zomg he has never liked tennis) and Muhammad Ali's. Bought Nadal's and Michael McIntyre's at the airport to read over here.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »

Gypsy Boy / Mikey Walsh

think this book would be up your street- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Way-Gone-Memoirs-Soldier/dp/0007247087/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316028760&sr=1-1

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
geordieneil
we are we are we are the mods

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »

- Man and Boy (I think it's my favourite book - amazing read but it was quite a few years ago now that I read it). I think it's by Tony Parsons.

I mostly read autobiographies though, usually sportsmen. Read everything from Dwight Yorke's and John Terry's 'My winning Season' to Andre Agassi (zomg he has never liked tennis) and Muhammad Ali's. Bought Nadal's and Michael McIntyre's at the airport to read over here.

while your in Thailand get a book called A KILLING SMILE by Christopher G. Moore, not only a very good read, but a lot of "between the lines unwritten Thai rules"   (its the 1st of a trilogy)  

also The Damage Done by Warren Fellows........a true story of an Austrailian drug smuggler in Thailand......only book i ever read start to finish without putting it down......theres also a book called Kingdom of Illusion which is Bill Sinclairs version of events
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »

I tend to buy audiobooks to listen to in the car to and from work, so if they count, the best books I have read this year are:

Life / Keith Richards

Clapton/ Eric Clapton

Its not what you think/ Chris Evans

Head on/ Sir Ian Botham

The Elephant to Hollywood/ Sir Michael Caine

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »

As far as biographies go, the two I would recommend are Mick Foleys and Motley Crues, you do not need to know a thing about either subject to enjoy them. The first one is suprisingly well written and engaging, and the none wrestling parts are the best bits, the latter is jaw droppingly decadent and entertaining.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »

Is The Psychopath Test any good Barry?  Am tempted to buy it but can't make up my mind.

suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »

Read all 3, very moving story.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »

Is The Psychopath Test any good Barry?  Am tempted to buy it but can't make up my mind.

Yeah really enjoyed it. Not only is Jon Ronson a good journalist, he also takes you on quite a deep personal journey alongside the subject he is discussion. Very easy read, Im gonna get his other stuff too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: