blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273062 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Zerofive's "Favourite Words" Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zerofive's "Favourite Words" Thread  (Read 17427 times)
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

An eponym?

skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

An eponym?

Nice word, but I was looking for a word for the person doing the naming. Disclaimer: it may not exist, in which case I am naming them Keysians
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »

i like askance

with suspicion, mistrust or disapproval
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »

Sporking
An phenomenon that occurs when a man and a woman are spooning, and the man gets an erection. Often leads to either anal sex, or a restraining order, or in rare cases, both.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »

An eponym?

Nice word, but I was looking for a word for the person doing the naming. Disclaimer: it may not exist, in which case I am naming them Keysians

The superlative of eponym is eponymic or, more commonly, eponymous. I don't believe there exists a noun. Keysian would be wonderfully ironic, though.

On that note, there exists a site where two people have taken everyday situations for which there appears to be no appropriate word and assigned them with odd place names. Maybe I'm a massive geek, but I was howling at some of these: The Meaning of Liff.

Also, congrats on the thinly veiled rubs Keys. Get the curries in imo.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »

two more favourites of mine that I was reminded of in the recent vocabulary test:

hypnagogicˌhipnəˈgäjik/
Adjective:   
Of or relating to the state immediately before falling asleep.

hypnopompicˌhipnəˈpämpik/
Adjective:   
Of or relating to the state immediately preceding waking up

Dali was fascinated by these, he made a device, a semi-hoop mounted on a pole, to support his chin, that had a pointy thing in it, to wake him just as he nodded off. He was using it as he nodded off observing a pomegranate being swarmed by a wasp, giving rise to this wonderful vision:

I found the words years ago because I experience a lot of hypnagogic imagery (as I know know it to be called) and was pretty intrigued by it.  I'm not a creative person by any stretch, but quite often before I drop off my mind will start creating stuff - not just images, lyrics, poetry, that kind of thing.  I always make a mental half-asleep note to write it down in the morning but it's always forgotten by then and I'm back to my usual completely-lacking-in-any-artistic-flair self.

Morning times I use my snooze button a lot, to maintain both states somewhat I guess.  It's when I have my best dreams Smiley

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »

An eponym?

surely eponym can only be a noun?

it refers to both the person and the thing named after them
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:08:38 PM by gatso » Logged

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »

I found the words years ago because I experience a lot of hypnagogic imagery (as I know know it to be called) and was pretty intrigued by it.  I'm not a creative person by any stretch, but quite often before I drop off my mind will start creating stuff - not just images, lyrics, poetry, that kind of thing.  I always make a mental half-asleep note to write it down in the morning but it's always forgotten by then and I'm back to my usual completely-lacking-in-any-artistic-flair self.

Morning times I use my snooze button a lot, to maintain both states somewhat I guess.  It's when I have my best dreams Smiley

This sort of thing has always fascinated me. Many times I have begun dreaming before I have fallen asleep - most of the time this is just voices and when this first started happening, I thought I was losing my mind. But I, the same as you, have found that the mind just "creates." Upon having woken up after perhaps scoring a beautiful symphony, or having written the most beautiful poetry, etc. I will come to find that in actuality, these musical notes or perfect words do not even exist. This makes it difficult not to support such philosophical ideas as methodological solipsism or empiricism. The beautiful thing about dreaming in images, though, is that we have the appropriate mediums to sketch our subject. </random musing>
sweet potata!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »

Sporking
An phenomenon that occurs when a man and a woman are spooning, and the man gets an erection. Often leads to either anal sex, or a restraining order, or in rare cases, both.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

erinaceous

a. like or pertaining to a hedgehog.

quire

n. – two dozen sheets of paper

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »

An eponym?

The superlative of eponym is eponymic or, more commonly, eponymous. I don't believe there exists a noun. Keysian would be wonderfully ironic, though.

On that note, there exists a site where two people have taken everyday situations for which there appears to be no appropriate word and assigned them with odd place names. Maybe I'm a massive geek, but I was howling at some of these: The Meaning of Liff.

Meaning of Liff is excellent.  I think 'Pabby' was my favourite entry, if I remember it correctly.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »

On the subject of portmanteau. I have been trying to patent a couple of words I use

Shituation & Chairdrobe (although they both may not qualify as they use a complete word). Ruling ?

sola virtus nobilitat
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »

On the subject of portmanteau. I have been trying to patent a couple of words I use

Shituation & Chairdrobe (although they both may not qualify as they use a complete word). Ruling ?

chairdrobes are rubbish.  i have a floordrobe.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

An eponym?

Meaning of Liff is excellent.  I think 'Pabby' was my favourite entry, if I remember it correctly.

Meaning of Liff is excellent - I think referring to Douglas Adams and John Lloyd (the creator of QI if that helps provide a reference) as 'two people' underplays how good it is a tad.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »

ephemeral adj.
 - lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory

- lasting but one day: "an ephemeral thread."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print