blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Talking of Miss Coren.......
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talking of Miss Coren.......  (Read 2854 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »

....here's her piece from today's Guardian. Oh, to have 100th of her writing talent.

One of the experiments from the International Federation of Poker is "duplicate". It works on the same principle as duplicate bridge: the deck is pre-set to provide identical hands at different tables. Each player is awarded points against other players with the same cards, in the hope of measuring "the skill of the play" rather than "the luck of the deal".

Of course, this still has its flaws. Your opponent might shove with an underpair and a rival opponent's might not; doesn't mean you've played better. If he hits a set, you've still got unlucky; if he doesn't, you've still got lucky. Similar problem with duplicate bridge: if a queen is oddly placed, a dodgy finesse will triumph over better play.

There is no flawless way to find "the best poker player in the world". Biggest money winner? His losses aren't recorded. Most final-table appearances? He played more tournaments than others. Toughest event? Luck is always a factor in any single game. Series of tournaments? Too restricted to those who can be in the right country at the right time for the right period. Play it online? That's a different discipline.

I rather like the impossibility of naming anyone "best". The ensuing, unceasing argument is so human. Personally, I try to duck out of that arm-wrestle for sanity's sake. We're all competitive, but I aim quietly for two things: first, to survive the game; second, to make a profit. Everything else is icing sugar.

I remember the wise words of Richard Jessup: "For every number one man there is a number two man, and because of this a man cannot retreat from life. The difference is that the number one man is a machine and the Cincinnati Kid is not, and was not, and never will be a machine."

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »

I especially liked this - some of us remain in touch with the real world......

".....I rather like the impossibility of naming anyone "best". The ensuing, unceasing argument is so human. Personally, I try to duck out of that arm-wrestle for sanity's sake. We're all competitive, but I aim quietly for two things: first, to survive the game; second, to make a profit. Everything else is icing sugar....."

As Smokey Robinson may have said - I second that emotion.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

Nice piece

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »

".....I rather like the impossibility of naming anyone "best". The ensuing, unceasing argument is so human. Personally, I try to duck out of that arm-wrestle for sanity's sake. We're all competitive, but I aim quietly for two things: first, to survive the game; second, to make a profit. Everything else is icing sugar....."

+1

No doubt you've read it, but for anyone who hasn't - For Richer, For Poorer is a must-read

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »

Nice piece

Settle!  I got into bother for that sort of thing...
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »

+1

No doubt you've read it, but for anyone who hasn't - For Richer, For Poorer is a must-read

+1
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »

+1

So true.  Reading that book I cried twice, laughed numerous times and it had me thinking all of the way through.  Probably the best non-strategy poker related book ever written and one of the most interesting autobiographies I have ever read.
Victoria Coren
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:57:59 AM »

Hurray for you, Tommy (and David and Tikay). They're ripping apart my commentary failings on the other thread; this has cheered me up a lot! As I'm sure you'll know, having read it, that is an intensely personal book for me and I put my heart and soul into it; it means an awful lot to me when people say it meant something to them. Seriously, thanks very much.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 02:00:59 AM »

and treat those two imposters just the same.....

The older I get, the better I was.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:02:34 AM »

Thought you were trying to get vicky to take your quiz Red Dog

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:05:04 AM »

Well I take hers....

The older I get, the better I was.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:11:28 AM »

Well I take hers....

can't remember the last time I managed to get a wall perfect on only connect. so tilting. Cheesy
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »

Not read a poker related book in ages so will get myself a copy....Those only connect walls are so addictive....great fun even if I do hear Coren saying 'No that's not a group!' with all too frustrating frequency! Easily the best quiz show host since William G. Stewart!
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »

Watched the Frank Skinner show last week - ('Opinionated', Thurs 10pm BBC).

Vicky Coren was a guest, and came across as very sharp, and quite funny.
(Mr Skinner is also very good, but as a kind of Skinner-fan I am a bit biased).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:03 AM »

Hurray for you, Tommy (and David and Tikay). They're ripping apart my commentary failings on the other thread; this has cheered me up a lot! As I'm sure you'll know, having read it, that is an intensely personal book for me and I put my heart and soul into it; it means an awful lot to me when people say it meant something to them. Seriously, thanks very much.

I like the commentary and think you both contribute an interesting slant on what we're watching. Will also go get the book I think

I'm not just saying this because I think you're funny, intelligent & gorgeous or things like that, but I do

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: