blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:58:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Public Sector Strikes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Public Sector Strikes  (Read 14995 times)
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »

This could end up as a horror show of a thread, but I can take it no more!

I should start by saying I have worked in the private sector (property and construction) all my life. I am also going to throw it out there that my political leaning is very much to the left, but far from extreme, I guess I am a child of new labour. I absolutely support capitalism but have a social conscience.

So, I have followed this closely, feel well read and versed on the subject. Today I have heard nothing but shear drivel from any striker, and especially those who are considered voices of their people.

I am yet to hear a SINGLE argument which has convinced me that this is a worthwhile and justified action.

As someone who has been to hell and back as a result of this recession, I have zero sympathy for those who "expect" in life. We all have a simple choice, at ALL times in our life, if you dont like what you are doing, then do something else instead.

I didnt hear a single word in 2008 when the private sector was being "cut back", I know of professionals who have never returned to professions that they worked in for 20 years (a choice of course).

We all have choices in life. If you dont like your T&C's in the public sector employment, then leave it. There are millions out there who will fill your shoes at the moment.

People are talking of 3-5% (effective) paycuts. Many in the private sector suffered 20% ACTUAL pay cuts 3 years ago and havent had rises since. Many realise that in these times, having a job is preferable to not

Please wake up and small the coffee folks. The good times are a long way behind us, and probably even further from returning. I am of course not saying that there is opportunity to do well, there is always that, but ffs, stop whinging. If you choose to work in the public sector, then get on and do your Job!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »

Meh, they can all strike IMO. They do a very worthwhile job and are massively underpaid compared to people in the private sector.
Civil servants and those in the public sector contribute more to the economy than they take out and that has to be recognised.
The pensions they have are a must if the govt wants to keep recruiting the best of the best into shitty jobs like teaching, nursing...

Ah f*ck, I can't keep that nonsense up.

+1

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:25:19 PM »

Why should they bear the brunt, when, yunno, Lord Ashcroft is like, yunno, rich. Like. Yunno. Greedy bankers. Rich people. Tax them more. Yunno. Bullingdon club. Yunno.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »

Why should they bear the brunt, when, yunno, Lord Ashcroft is like, yunno, rich. Like. Yunno. Greedy bankers. Rich people. Tax them more. Yunno. Bullingdon club. Yunno.

i had to turn off the radio for a while today when some (alleged) educated person, in repost to a comment said "well, Camerons a millionaire"

oh, ok, well stone him then!

What the fk has his privaleged life got to do with anything!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:31:05 PM »

My company hasn't given any pay rises for 3 years now. We have also made several redundant in that time and gone through many other cost slashing exercises.

Although our work force are part of a union who set pay rates all of our staff agreed to pay freezes for the good of the company and to ensure that the company could continue to exist.

I have absolute zero sympathy for anyone who strikes in order to demand more money at the moment. If our guys went on strike I'd just wrap the firm up. Why? Because in 6 months there'd be no firm anyway.

If the country was thriving and they were having effective pay cuts then fair enough but the reality is that pretty much every business including the Government is skint and has to make cut backs.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

I think that whatever this strike has cost the economy should be deducted from their pensions.

Ah! The element of surprise
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

F**k me even google has pickets today

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »

I don't think you all understand, it's theft and the government should go to jail. Apparently.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:44:04 PM »

It baffles me that it all goes ahead in the first place...only 30% of those who could vote bothered to vote, and not everyone of those 30% voted to strike.

How can the unions say the have the backing of the public, when, overall they don't even have the full backing of thier own membership!

My local school is shut due to teachers walking out, and over the past fortnight, I've seem more union reps in school then during the past 4 years telling teachers they should be members to "proctect themselves" .....nothing to do with boost strike numbers then no?

Life ain't fair, never has been, never will be.  We are living longer, so have the ability to work longer so we need to contribute more to cover this.  Could the Govenernment do more...of course they could...but when they do if they do...we'd continue to ask the same questions...could they do more...of course they could....round n round n round.

Carpe Diem
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »

On the plus side the roads were very clear this morning and it was very easy to find a parking space at Notts Uni.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »

It baffles me that it all goes ahead in the first place...only 30% of those who could vote bothered to vote, and not everyone of those 30% voted to strike.

How can the unions say the have the backing of the public, when, overall they don't even have the full backing of thier own membership!

The Tories are in power even though they only got 36% of the vote in turnout of only 65%.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »

On the plus side the roads were very clear this morning.

True, I wondered why the roads had fewer bad drivers on them this morning and then the wonderful Moira Stewart reminded my why this was. Can't wait for the drive home..should only take 45 minutes tonight..YAY!

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »

The Tories are in power even though they only got 36% of the vote in turnout of only 65%.

Tories are sharing power with the Lib Dems.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »

public sector worker hate, not seen that before. Move on.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »

My company hasn't given any pay rises for 3 years now. We have also made several redundant in that time and gone through many other cost slashing exercises.

Although our work force are part of a union who set pay rates all of our staff agreed to pay freezes for the good of the company and to ensure that the company could continue to exist.

I have absolute zero sympathy for anyone who strikes in order to demand more money at the moment. If our guys went on strike I'd just wrap the firm up. Why? Because in 6 months there'd be no firm anyway.

If the country was thriving and they were having effective pay cuts then fair enough but the reality is that pretty much every business including the Government is skint and has to make cut backs.

Disagree

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: