blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  blonde Poker 2011 Advent Calendar
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde Poker 2011 Advent Calendar  (Read 143807 times)
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »

Didn't know Jack Bauer was a Blonde
Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 24, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »

F5f5f5......

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 24, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »

Didn't know Jack Bauer was a Blonde
Smiley

Maybe it's going to be JACK dempsey  Wink

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 24, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »

Four years ago to the day, a thread was started that was to become the most significant and important in the history of the forum. This was not just for one child, and one family but for what it showed the forum to be. Putting all arguments and stresses aside, this was a community worth nurturing, because when one of our own really needed it, the forum was there

The day after the thread started in 2007, and at a time of huge uncertainty for the family, here was our hero on Christmas Day, aged 3

Reece Snape

Re-reading the whole thread yesterday http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=29927.30 and it brings home what an ordeal it was, and continued to be

Reece was born with a serious bowel condition, life threatening and in his now seven years he has had hundreds of operations.

I am going to pick out a few posts on the thread, just to illustrate some of the issues the family have experienced

April 2008

"Maureen just rang. Reece is out of surgery. The operation took almost 10 hours and Reece has over 2000 internal stitches.

He is now in intensive care. Maureen said he has tubes everywhere and he is on a ventilator.

The operation was a success in as much as they did what they set out to do. i.e. cut his stomach open and sew it back together in such a way as to double it's capacity.

Reece started out with only 18cm of intestine. Over the last few months that has been increased to 40+cm by forcing milk into it and then making him hold it there for ever longer periods.

Today, that 40+cm was doubled to 80+cm.

If I understand this properly. 80cm is viable. Enough to sustain life, but...

Over the next year they have to teach Reece to eat, (I don't think he ever has) and then hope that his stomach is capable of absorbing nutrients.

So, a long way to go, but today was a success, and that's all we could hope for.

Through it all he, and his family, have shown enormous spirit and courage and this is documented throughout a four year thread

Many blonde members have shown considerable practical, financial and most of all emotional support to Maureen and her family over this time. Even if you just read or wrote in the thread, I know it helped. Special mention must be made of RED-DOG and tikay who were by Maureen and family's side constantly over the years, and I know were always there for them.

In terms of finances, Maureen and family also had to deal with the aftermath and stress caused by the P4C fund raising event at the Western Club that many of us attended. However before and after that blonde members have made a huge difference in the quality of Reece's life

May 2008

"Charity begins at home.

That is what being part of the Blonde forum is to some,  a second home with a chosen  family. Like every large family it has it’s heated debates from time to time but last night at DTD we saw that family come together along with the DTD guys and donate money for Reece. I was lost for words when Tony called me up to hand over some money from you all and did not have it in me say just how grateful we are. I could not even try and thank you all individually face to face as it I do get very emotional. Then Paul Jackson along with Simon Trumper kept adding to the pot from other kind donations.

For any of you that have had to take care of someone with special needs and constant hospital journeys you will know it does take a big strain on not only your state of  mind but on your finances too.

Our aim is to take Reece on holiday as soon as he is able to do so. Truthfully it would be the obvious destination, Disney World but at this stage in his life that is a million miles away, as he is still reliant on machines, failing that a short break in the UK would be good for him. In total I was given £980 last night from you all , this will be added to the remaining £300 of Julian Thews recent donation and will be used accordingly to enrich Reece’s life in whatever way we feel he needs it. This will include a much needed family holiday.

From the bottom of our hearts we would like to thank you all for the money and the gifts  we received last night. You will never possibly know how much this all means to us.

THANK YOU BLONDE FAMILY and DTD.

Regards Darren, Maureen, Stacey and the hero Reece."

Over the course of 2007-11 members have donated thousands of pounds to help that dream be realised. Some were anonymous, and will remain so. Some sadly won't be on the forum to post on this thread (not allowed to post or not active these days ) and it would be remiss of me not to mention Colchester Kev, sofaKing and Rooky9 whose fund raising efforts made such a difference. I can't mention everyone, but if you donated you made an enormous difference

Anyway, all this came this to fruition in the summer of 2011. Money raised, insurance and medical hassles sorted Reece and family headed off to Florida

I don't want to put words into Maureen's mouth, but I might suggest that 2011 has been the most encouraging year yet and that finally the family is able to look ahead with some confidence at the future for Reece.

December 2011

"He's SEVEN you know, this Sunday.

SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN........Still no TPN managing nicely on gastro feeds nightly into his micky peg in his belly, plus eating whatever he wants.

We had a scare last month but after many tests in one day barium meals etc it has been decided that although his bowel is dilated in places and maybe narrowing too no immediate surgery is needed unless the narrowing becomes more of a problem, which we hope to who ever it wont.

He is still the up n coming comedian loves nothing better than to make people laugh, loves his Grandad more than one could ever imagine a child could love anyone at his age and not be embarrassed to show it. I take second seat when it comes to Granddad, just look at the two of them and think ....perfect...   just love to see him come shining through,  gives me a sense of achievement too hard to explain i think.

I have not updated much because interest seemed to fade and after all it is a poker forum. However to those that have so generously made a massive difference to not only Reece's life but our too this update is for you. "

Here is Reece this Christmas. Now 7, no doubt a handful and raring to go

Click to see full-size image.

Happy Christmas Reece, and happy christmas to all blondes.

/endthread.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 24, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »

NEVER in doubt, very well played Richard

THANK YOU

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: December 24, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »

THANK YOU

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
b4matt

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 24, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

A real HERO, with an amazing family. Happy Christmas everyone xx
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 24, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »

A real HERO, with an amazing family. Happy Christmas everyone xx

Tks Rich.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 24, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

Reece and the people around him, just awesome!

Long may our hero's progress continue.

Excellent write up Tighty.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: December 24, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »

Reece! Our Reecey boy. Just look how far he's come.

What a privilege it is for us to be even a tiny part of his story.

Every last person on blonde is bursting with pride.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: December 24, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »

Bloody Hell!

I'm crying like a baby here...

The older I get, the better I was.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 24, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

THANK YOU

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #702 on: December 24, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »

Lovely end to a really fun advent calendar, hats off to Tighty for bringing us all a bit of crimbo cheer.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 24, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »

Wonderful choice Tighty. It's been a privelige to follow this brave boys progress.

Happy Christmas Reece and family. x

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 24, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »

Yessssssssss!

Mini bawse!

Impossible not to be touched by this little Hero and his incredible story!

I remember meeting Maureen and Darren when I first started on the poker scene, and then when I realised that they were involved with Reece, I firstly thought wow, what an incredible couple as they were always so cheery with this heartache in the background. Reece is an incredible boy, and Maureen and Darren incredible people. I don't know Stacey but I'm fairly sure she will be cut from the same cloth!

Much love from the Johnsons this Xmas! Hope the improvements continue into 2012 and beyond!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: