blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:02:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Donk bets
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donk bets  (Read 1625 times)
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »

I've read a number of people recently saying that a donk bet on the flop is almost always a bluff, but I haven't noticed this at my levels.

What are your opinions on donk bets?

Also, how about if someone calls your flop c-bet, then donks the turn?

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

Good afternoon.

You'll probably get a better quality of feedback for this, & your other Thread, also started today, in our PHA Board, so I'll move them across there for you.

Hope you get good response.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »

OK thanks for moving them. I assumed they shouldn't go in PHA as they were general poker topics rather than hand analysis but I am new here :-)

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »

This & and your other threads seem a little vague.

Your best course of action facing a donk bet depends on a multitude of things: board texture, villain's skill level, your history with villain, image, etc.

Do you have a couple of examples including reads/history with villain? It's almost impossible to say "yes it is a bluff" without including a hand history or stats, as it is very situation dependent.

If we want to remain vague though, I tend to find donk bets from bad players to mostly be top pair. EG you raise AJ, villain calls from the blinds and leads on . I would expect to see a bad queen like all the time. This is where the name "donk" bet originates, as bad players tend to cut their value short in spots like this by not analysing ranges etc. but just recognising that they have one pair and they'd like to win with it.

Versus good players, I tend to assign a wider donking range. Let's take the same example. You raise AJ, villain calls from the blinds and leads on . I would very rarely assign a good villain to a one pair type hand, but probably combo draws that lose equity on the turn. for example. These sorts of hands have decent equity on the flop, so even though we might have the "best hand," we're not in great shape, especially if villain mixes up his donking range to include pairs for deception, and I would very rarely make an ace-high call here (in theory at least.)

In short, from my experience, donk bets are very rarely bluffs. But in the next breath, if a good villain picks up on the fact that you fold to every donk bet because zerofive said it wasn't a bluff, then he's probably going to adapt to include air in his donking range.

Hope that kind of helps..?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »

to the best of my knowledge, donk leading flops first came popular with the best players for flop spots where they are for sure ahead of the PFR's range, but on textures where people would a) pot control weaker parts of there showdown range and b) would float wider than normal, boards like  three clubs for example, might bbe a spot where    would check back, but also a spot where it'll defo float.

Then as the strategy became more popular better players would try make there donk bets a little more deceptive by picking hands from the top of the range to donk as well, and occasionally throwing airballs in as well (when I chose to donk flops with air I usually pick hands with some marginal equity, on , so at least when we get called we can improve our hand and are not just firing into the dark.

I think it's still a flaw in weaker players that they fail to donk with enough strong hands to avoid the strategy of donk-leading any hands to become exploitable, in soft-ish live cash games I very rarely give donk leads credit for super strong hands as people have a genuine urge to c/r when they flop huge. When deciding which of your super strong hands to donk with, i'd go for reaosnably dry high card flops, like TT on KT8r would be a good spot to lead, your oppo's can give you credit for some weaker draws you dont wanna c/c and you dont get credit for AK or KK and smaller pairs that will call often check back.

superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »

Yeah I realise this and the draws thread are a bit vague, as I said in the draws one, but they were meant as a start of a discussion about how players look at donk bets or how people tend to play draws, without any specific hands being involved.

It's interesting that zerofive says that donk bets are rarely bluffs, because this was the viewpoint I was leaning towards, but as I mentioned I have read a few people recently claiming that donk bets are usually weak.

The point SuuPRlim makes about players wanting to C/R good hands instead of donk them is a good one I think though.

Thanks for the replies so far, all viewpoints can be interesting!

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »

to the best of my knowledge, donk leading flops first came popular with the best players for flop spots where they are for sure ahead of the PFR's range, but on textures where people would a) pot control weaker parts of there showdown range and b) would float wider than normal, boards like  three clubs for example, might bbe a spot where    would check back, but also a spot where it'll defo float.

Then as the strategy became more popular better players would try make there donk bets a little more deceptive by picking hands from the top of the range to donk as well, and occasionally throwing airballs in as well (when I chose to donk flops with air I usually pick hands with some marginal equity, on , so at least when we get called we can improve our hand and are not just firing into the dark.

I think it's still a flaw in weaker players that they fail to donk with enough strong hands to avoid the strategy of donk-leading any hands to become exploitable, in soft-ish live cash games I very rarely give donk leads credit for super strong hands as people have a genuine urge to c/r when they flop huge. When deciding which of your super strong hands to donk with, i'd go for reaosnably dry high card flops, like TT on KT8r would be a good spot to lead, your oppo's can give you credit for some weaker draws you dont wanna c/c and you dont get credit for AK or KK and smaller pairs that will call often check back.

its interesting, in the games iv played in over the last 12 months, the tendency of donkbets from straightforward 2+2 taggish guys is to donkbet monsters in multiway pots usually versus low cbet inital pfr and usually with at least 1 fish present. They endup being ridic unbalanced however. Its almost never a pure-bluff or medium equity hand.

hu donkbetting is powerful and still underused.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »

agree with alex. specially hu rather than multiway

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:26:48 AM »

its interesting, in the games iv played in over the last 12 months, the tendency of donkbets from straightforward 2+2 taggish guys is to donkbet monsters in multiway pots usually versus low cbet inital pfr and usually with at least 1 fish present. They endup being ridic unbalanced however. Its almost never a pure-bluff or medium equity hand.

hu donkbetting is powerful and still underused.

I think there is a perfectly good argument that you don't need a balanced range when you are targetting players who are either casual fun time players or pretty bad at noticing your range.  I had a hand earlier tonight with a player who was floating me incessantly.  Every time we were in a pot he would call any flop and bet/raise every turn bet, we were playing a deep table so it was pretty fun.  A rocky reg opens, I call from the SB, my new friend calls from the big.  I flop a house.  I donk, he calls and 500bb goes in on the turn.

The point I'm making for the benefit of the OP is player tendencies are vital to know when donk betting.  You really need to have a fair idea what their range is and how they are going to proceed with it.  And in reference to balancing ranges, also important is how they are going to react to these hands and the information you are giving in the future if they are a reg.  And if they'll even notice.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:20 PM »

Alex/Pleno. would be pretty interesting to see exactly how different our views are in this particular subject, from completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

I think the OP is prolly initially referring to online cash games? which your post will be way more accurate I think - its interesting as well how infeequently you see dokn bets in live poker

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: