blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:06:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 952707 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »

OK, nits gonna nit.

USA SIM card.  Last year was a real ballache, I had a USA phone (crap basic phone) and it took me hours to reactivate, time driving to buy top ups and was tilting.  This year, I want to use my own phone and have the USA SIM in my hand before I go.  I'd like a fixed price plan with plenty of roaming data being the main priority, calls/texts within USA needed, calls/texts to UK nice to have.  UK mob number auto-forwarded to US SIM nice to have.  My phone is unlocked.

So far, I'm looking at £90

Anyone have better suggestions?

Last year I got free US calls, one free UK number and unlimited data for one month. $80 from O2

The older I get, the better I was.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »

Ty - was that as an existing customer (I am not) or as a "walk in" deal?  Will try and google it, if you have a link that would be great.  On a recent O2 store visit, they had no clue.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »

I might try and get an american phone or something again this year as my phone bill was just under £400 last year

I didn't have whatsapp last year either which obviously should bring the cost down significantly anyway and I have Skype too now.

Fenix35

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »

ok newb question

£Uk to $us what is the nut way?

wire transfer?
cash?

if cash, wheres best?

tyty

I used http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/ in the past and would really recommend their services. They'll give you a much better rate than the bank/airport etc. and are good for large amounts. You need to scan/send in a few documents but they're pretty efficient and fast at confirming them. You then bank transfer them the money in £ and they send the $ in the post to you next-day delivery with insurance. Also they have a good buy-back scheme in-case you don't punt it all off in strip clubs etc.
Fenix35

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »

I might try and get an american phone or something again this year as my phone bill was just under £400 last year

I didn't have whatsapp last year either which obviously should bring the cost down significantly anyway and I have Skype too now.

If you have a car out there/living off the strip I'd still say buy a total budget phone for calls/texts only. Worked out pretty cheap for me and you can still update twitter if doing tournament updates by sending a text to a twitter number. I also took my iphone around for photos/notepad/games/music etc. and for internet as venetian and rio did have free wifi although it was a little dodgy at times
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »

If you have a car out there/living off the strip I'd still say buy a total budget phone for calls/texts only. Worked out pretty cheap for me and you can still update twitter if doing tournament updates by sending a text to a twitter number. I also took my iphone around for photos/notepad/games/music etc. and for internet as venetian and rio did have free wifi although it was a little dodgy at times

Yeah the burners normally cost about $50 and they're good for a few weeks calling/texting each other. We had them last year, but I got tilted trying to set it up and just threw it in the bin.

I'll be in hotels only and think I'll just make do with my phone using whatsapp/skype. I never play poker really anyway, when I do I'm not bothered about updates stripclub updates might be a possibility though Cheesy

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »

Hogs n heifers looks a good place to go too
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

Phones - there's a good post in my Vegas thread, either here or APAT. I'll dig up the link, give me 6 mins...
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »

Bollocks, can't find it.

The gist of it was that you can go to at AT&T store or a T-Mobile store and buy a SIM on a pre-pay 30 day contract. Think the T-Mobile deal was better...
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »

Ty, altho I like the idea of having the SIM in advance, to give out the number to others and so I don't have to muck about sorting it whilst there.  So if it isn't a very good saving, will be looking to get something sorted at this end.

ForthThistle

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »

Bollocks, can't find it.

The gist of it was that you can go to at AT&T store or a T-Mobile store and buy a SIM on a pre-pay 30 day contract. Think the T-Mobile deal was better...

Does the sim fit an Iphone?

APAT NLHE Southern European Champion 2010
Take on Tikay February League Winner 2011

Rastafish throws himself headfirst into the railbirds, arms outstretched but the sea of bodies parts and Rastafish misses and crashes through the barrier on all fours.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

Could you take an old phone and put a " local" sim in n use it ? Then if a few of you do it swap numbers to stay in touch ?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »

The aren't big on selling SIM cards out there.  It's not like walking into the local corner shop and buying a Lebara SIM.  The all seem to want you to sign contracts to get your SIM, which may work out financially better, but is a ballache I could do without.

Basic:  Go to wallmart and buy a $10 phone and load it up with credits - throw it away later.  Pros:  easy enough, cheap.  Cons: just going to be USA domestic voice and SMS.

Intermediate: Go to Tmobile store, sign a contract.  Pros & Cons:  don't know much about it, but when I tried in the FSM last year, I gave up 30 seconds into the sales pitch.

Advanced:  Buy a SIM in advance.  Pros: you have a USA #, call fwd from UK #, data included, use your own (hopefully better!) phone, allowance of UK calls. Hassle free.  Cons: £90

Lazy:  Just take your phone and come back and see what your bill is.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

The aren't big on selling SIM cards out there.  It's not like walking into the local corner shop and buying a Lebara SIM.  The all seem to want you to sign contracts to get your SIM, which may work out financially better, but is a ballache I could do without.

Basic:  Go to wallmart and buy a $10 phone and load it up with credits - throw it away later.  Pros:  easy enough, cheap.  Cons: just going to be USA domestic voice and SMS.

Intermediate: Go to Tmobile store, sign a contract.  Pros & Cons:  don't know much about it, but when I tried in the FSM last year, I gave up 30 seconds into the sales pitch.

Advanced:  Buy a SIM in advance.  Pros: you have a USA #, call fwd from UK #, data included, use your own (hopefully better!) phone, allowance of UK calls. Hassle free.  Cons: £90

Lazy:  Just take your phone and come back and see what your bill is.

Really?

All I did was go to the nearest AT&T store and ask for a SIM only deal I'd seen - 30 days no contract just top up $60 credit if i wanted to use it after 30 days was up and it'd restart the deal.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »

Fair enough ~ you found something I wasn't able to.  I will have a sniff online for the AT&T deal, but it pretty much looks like I am going to cough for the hassle free "all sorted before you go" deal.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: