blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  blonde Camera Club
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde Camera Club  (Read 256898 times)
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »

Absolute cracking shots.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »

Really enjoyed those Ullapool photographs, thank you. Do you live in those remote parts?

I believe that the the Harbour there was designed by the great Scottish engineer, Thomas Telford. More fascinating facts available upon request.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Somerled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »

Really enjoyed those Ullapool photographs, thank you. Do you live in those remote parts?

I believe that the the Harbour there was designed by the great Scottish engineer, Thomas Telford. More fascinating facts available upon request.

Live in Drumnadrochit. Home of wee green cuddly Nessies. And, more fortunately, the Loch Ness Brewery, my latest wee project.
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »

Telford was one of the few that could give Brunel a run for his money, although he never had the start in life that Brunel had having been brought up in poverty and started as an apprentice stonemason at 14.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Telford

One of the bridges I photographed the other day was the bridge over the Dean valley (built by Telford) and sits merely 200 metres from the city centre. Awesomely huge construction

Click to see full-size image.

Geo
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:15:14 PM by Geo the Sarge » Logged

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »

When I click on a thumbnail in 'My pictures' or open one in 'Picasa' and then right click and select 'properties' I can't see the Exif data. I have to 'Edit' the picture in picasa to see the Exif.

Any one know why that is please?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

Telford was one of the few that could give Brunel a run for his money, although he never had the start in life that Brunel had having been brought up in poverty and started as an apprentice stonemason at 14.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Telford

One of the bridges I photographed the other day was the bridge over the Dean valley (built by Telford) and sits merely 200 metres from the city centre. Awesomely huge construction

Geo

Hi Geo,

I keep derailing this lovely thread, so I will not respond here, but Thomas Telford was a quite extraordinary guy, maybe even achieving more than Brunel, & so I'll try & discuss him on my Diary shortly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

When I click on a thumbnail in 'My pictures' or open one in 'Picasa' and then right click and select 'properties' I can't see the Exif data. I have to 'Edit' the picture in picasa to see the Exif.

If you're on XP, right click from Explorer (My Pictures or wherever), Properties, select the Summary tab at the top, then press the Advanced button at the bottom. I think that if you ok this it remembers this setting so when you go to Summary in future it starts in Advanced.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »

If you're on XP, right click from Explorer (My Pictures or wherever), Properties, select the Summary tab at the top, then press the Advanced button at the bottom. I think that if you ok this it remembers this setting so when you go to Summary in future it starts in Advanced.

Cheers Rex.

When I do that, I sometimes get the Exif, but mostly I get this.

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »

Cheers Rex.

When I do that, I sometimes get the Exif, but mostly I get this.

That's what you get if you hit Advanced in the "General" tab. Two "Advanced" buttons. Not helpful, Mr W Gates III.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »

Ahh! Got it now Rex. Thanks very much.

ruthless1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:44 PM »

I took up photography 20 years ago, loads has changed and unfortunely i never kept up with the times! Now i have got back into it im trying to take everything in, always be learning, and yes totally agree with buying new lenses, and other equipment, i only have the standard 18 55mm at the moment but saving for 24/70mm mainly for wedding photography!
RAW is something im just getting to grips with, not up to date with all programs but my daughter is helping me with that, but any info would be great!

I'm sure there are better people than me to explain it, but RAW is literally a record of exactly what the sensor detects. Turning that into a picture is a job for something else. If you do jpeg in camera, the camera (DIGIC chip in Canon, for instance) will do it, applying white balance correction, colour calibration, noise reduction, etc etc. If you get the RAW into a computer then get another program to do it, you can make choices with these things later. The massive benefit of RAW is that the sensor on a camera will record levels that are not visible at the very dark and very bright ends and the jpeg conversion in-camera effectively throws these differences away. However, if you find you want to make exposure corrections for the whole shot or just bits of it after the event, the extra information that the RAW holds is a lot more conducive to this. You don't realise the benefit until you try it.

What camera have you got? I may be teaching you to suck eggs here, but remember that a crop sensor camera (Canons 1100 all the way up to 7D) will have a multiplier of 1.6 to get the "old" 35mm focal lengths you may be used to. 18mm lens on a crop sensor is equivalent to 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera. 24mm on a crop is 38mm on a 35mm - which may be a bit restrictive at the wide end. I don't know - you've probably considered all this already.

My current portrait lens of a choice is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (constant). Equivalent to 27-80 on a 35mm camera. Lovely quality lens and nice and fast for a zoom. I've also got a Canon 50mm f1.8 "nifty fifty". Dirt cheap prime lens (£60), but very nice. Can be a bit restrictive, but if you've got room to zoom with your feet, it produces some lovely results.
Thanks for that, it does help to get info from other photographer esp if they dont mind sharing it, i have been reading up more about the Raw, and i have a few programs that come with my camera, im a bit old fashioned haha, but will get there, so thankyou for that.
I have canon EOS 550 at the moment and looking to get a few more lenses, as trying to cover a lot of differant photography, and see what im best at!
ruthless1

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »

Some really lovely pictures on here, i love the country pictures as dont get to see much of it down this way!
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »

Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »

^^

love the abstract quality of this Tom.

I pretty much lost interest in taking photos as digital became the norm. But this thread has sparked a renewed interest.

Just need to make some time & get out of the office.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »

Abstract? It's a nut & bolt in a lump of wood!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 112 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: