blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  blonde Camera Club
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde Camera Club  (Read 256916 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »

Great photo, but how do you know they were getting jiggy?  Maybe they were squaring up to have a nasty bar fight.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »

Look forward to the pics Geo. I think you walk more in a week than i do in 2 months. I get a bit bored walking, taking the camera more should break things up a bit.

Got this one this evening on the way home. Obv messed around with flickr a bit, I risk getting slayed by the purists Wink

Big fan of this! Never used flickr. But i like.

Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »

Tremendous photo, Aaron!

What is that white thing they are eating? Wy does the slug nearest camera have a hole in its back?

What is that white thing they are eating?

oh, lol.  Can I answer its penis?

( from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug )

Slugs are hermaphrodites, having both female and male reproductive organs.

Once a slug has located a mate, they encircle each other and sperm is exchanged through their protruded genitalia. [ The white thing ]  A few days later the slugs lay around 30 eggs in a hole in the ground, or beneath the cover of an object such as a fallen log.

Apophallation is a commonly seen practice among many slugs. In apophallating species, the penis curls like a corkscrew and during mating often becomes entangled in the mate's genitalia. Apophallation allows the slugs to separate themselves by one or both of the slugs chewing off the other's penis. Once its penis has been removed, the slug is still able to mate using only the female parts of its reproductive system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVi4Z6CjZk (I'll leave this as a link so as to not spoil the photographic nature of this thread.

Why does the slug nearest camera have a hole in its back?

( from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumostome )

On one side (almost always the right hand side) of the mantle is a respiratory opening, which is easy to see when open, but difficult to see when closed. This opening is known as the pneumostome.

The pneumostome (or breathing pore) is a feature (the respiratory opening) of the external body anatomy of an air-breathing land slug or land snail. It is a part of the respiratory system of gastropods.

It is an opening in the right side of the mantle of a Pulmonata or subcladed Stylommatophora or snail. Air enters through the pneumostome into the animal's single lung, the air-filled mantle cavity.

The pneumostome is often much easier to see in slugs than in snails, because of the absence of a shell. The pneumostome is usually very clearly visible on the right side of the animal when the pneumostome is wide open. However, the position of the pneumostome is often not at all easy to discern when the pneumostome is closed.

The pneumostome opens and closes in a cyclical manner. The frequency of pneumostome closing and opening is typically less than 0.5 closures per minute in fully hydrated slugs and snails. The rate of closures per minute increases the more dehydrated the slug is.

I didn't know until I googled after I took the photo either, I hope they didn't think I was being a voyeur!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:52:59 AM by Machka » Logged
Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »

Great photo, but how do you know they were getting jiggy?  Maybe they were squaring up to have a nasty bar fight.

See my answer tikay's question about "What is the white thing they are eating?".  Unless you are of a nervous disposition, in which case pretend you never asked!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: February 25, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »

It must be a bugger for slugs born with a left-hand thread.

The older I get, the better I was.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 25, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »

See my answer tikay's question about "What is the white thing they are eating?".  Unless you are of a nervous disposition, in which case pretend you never asked!

We've definitely never met.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

Today I took two shots of basically the same thing.  I realised I'd cropped a bit the first time, hence the second attempt.  Didn't take much notice until we got home and they were uploaded, but WTF?!  How can two shots be soooooo different when all I was doing was 'point and shoot'?

I prefer this one by a country mile.  Pity about the cut off at the bottom...

Click to see full-size image.

In an attempt to improve it, I mucked it up imo...

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »

This one turned out to be the overall winner on the day in the pine cone category...

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 25, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

As we were walking through Old Dalby Wood...

We came across a patch of trees with red bark.  It was kinda cool to see a random patch of them right in the middle of your standard bark type trees.  What are they?

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »

Shy trees?

The older I get, the better I was.
Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but if you look at the crescent moon tonight or over the next week you'll see this (note that Up/North isn't up, if you know what I mean, I rotated the camera to fit the 3 objects in):

Closer shot of the moon and its neighbour.

This is Venus next to the moon and at its north-west is Jupiter.

These were just hand held shots I took using, shock horror, digital zoom!  I never use digital zoom, but for some weird reason it actually makes these look better.

Full sized images below.

http://i.imgur.com/YUyyi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mbfZl.jpg

More details here:

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »

With the grandkids with me today it was pretty much impossible to search out the normal interesting or wildlife pics. They ran me ragged all day as wanted to climb and investigate. decided to concentrate on getting some decent pics of them instead. Quite like these two. I had been placing them in the various windows of an old ruin where they had spent an age running around. They decided they wanted to sit in windows at oppsite ends of the ruin and shout over to each other.

When I moved round to take some pics of the wee man I noticed that I could also view the lass at the other end.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »

Google Sky Map on an android phone (probably on iphone as well) is great for helping navigate the night sky.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »

With the grandkids with me today it was pretty much impossible to search out the normal interesting or wildlife pics. They ran me ragged all day as wanted to climb and investigate. decided to concentrate on getting some decent pics of them instead. Quite like these two. I had been placing them in the various windows of an old ruin where they had spent an age running around. They decided they wanted to sit in windows at oppsite ends of the ruin and shout over to each other.

When I moved round to take some pics of the wee man I noticed that I could also view the lass at the other end.

Geo

Do I sense some "attitude" there Geo? Exactly what you want to see in youngsters, imo.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but if you look at the crescent moon tonight or over the next week you'll see this (note that Up/North isn't up, if you know what I mean, I rotated the camera to fit the 3 objects in):

Closer shot of the moon and its neighbour.

This is Venus next to the moon and at its north-west is Jupiter.

These were just hand held shots I took using, shock horror, digital zoom!  I never use digital zoom, but for some weird reason it actually makes these look better.

Full sized images below.

http://i.imgur.com/YUyyi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mbfZl.jpg

More details here:

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

WOW! My kids pointed these out to me earlier, they really stood out as different than the "usual" but I wasn't sure what they were.
I've just shown them this post and they were really excited, we all went out for another look but I cant find them now Sad
We'll definitely be on the look out tomorrow evening though!

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 112 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: