blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272643 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  blonde Camera Club
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde Camera Club  (Read 257123 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #690 on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

Damn you Tom, you keep raising the bar with regards to variety & quality of bird photos.

Wonderful, wonderful, photos.

It's been a remarkable privilege to watch the quality of your photographs improve since you set your mind to this Tom.

How close are you getting to the subjects? It seems pretty close, which is a huge tribute to your skills in that respect as well.

I do get pretty damn close Dave. The nuthatch for example was only 8 - 10 feet away. I stumbled upon it while walking and it flew away, so I sat nice and still in the shadows behind some spindly undergrowth and waited. Within 15 minutes it came back. Sitting still and waiting (in the right place) is a great technique for seeing wildlife, as any fisherman will tell you.

I used to be a keen hunter, and I realised that by photographing wildlife I can use the same skills, and get the same thrills without killing anything.

Not that I have anything against hunting (For food) it's just not necessary for me now.

Animals (especially birds) in this country are used to seeing people. Because of this, you can really get close to them if you can convince them that you are not interested in them. So don't look directly at them, and don't walk directly towards them.

I used to grab hares on their form because they thought I hadn't seen them. They would often just sit tight thinking was going to walk right past.

If the animal or bird can see you, don't sneak or adopt a stalking pose. (It's easy to do this subconsciously) they have a million years of experience in spotting this kind of behaviour and will scarper immediately.

Also, I'm finding it easier as I learn how the camera works and how it sees things. I know now that it's a big mistake to imagine that a camera's eye works the same as your own. 

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »

OK. I admit it. I lolled.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »

New camera.

About 20 people chipped in to buy it for my b/day.

So whats your new toy?

It's a Panasonic Lumix. The updated version of the one I've been using all the time, which is useful because all the menus are the same as the ones I'm familiar with which means I'm not having to waste time wondering how to change the settings.

Just ring me if you need assistance.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: March 26, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »

New camera.

About 20 people chipped in to buy it for my b/day.

So whats your new toy?

It's a Panasonic Lumix. The updated version of the one I've been using all the time, which is useful because all the menus are the same as the ones I'm familiar with which means I'm not having to waste time wondering how to change the settings.

Just ring me if you need assistance.

Everyone making me laugh today.

Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: March 26, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »

Beautiful crescent moon out there at the moment with Venus just above it. 

I've posted enough photos of it so I'll spare you.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

Can't quite get a good one with Venus but have the moon
 Click to see full-size image.

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: March 26, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »

I got some great ones last night - sky was so clear. Not had time to upload them yet, and unlikely before heading to Vegas tomorrow (I'm seeing how many threads I can do Vegas brags on Smiley).

Hopefully come back from there with some Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Doubt I'll do much photographing in town tbh. Some with the diddy camera maybe, but since getting the DSLR my compact one can never quite live up. Turning into a camera snob!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: March 26, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »

Mrs Red took this Grand Canyon pic with my phone.

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »

You should warn people before posting pics like that - I know somebody who would get vertigo just looking at it! Nice pic though. I'd cheat a bit in PP and up the saturation a bit - bring out the colours in the walls.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: March 27, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »

You should warn people before posting pics like that - I know somebody who would get vertigo just looking at it! Nice pic though. I'd cheat a bit in PP and up the saturation a bit - bring out the colours in the walls.

Is that better, or too much?

I have to admit I'm starting to notice the shortcomings of my phone pics now, but it's better than no pics at all.

I read somewhere that the best camera is the one you have with you.

I'm beginning to see a case for Woodsey's pocket-sized point & shoot.

Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »

Is that better, or too much?

I have to admit I'm starting to notice the shortcomings of my phone pics now, but it's better than no pics at all.

I read somewhere that the best camera is the one you have with you.

I'm beginning to see a case for Woodsey's pocket-sized point & shoot.

For me photography is abour capturing the moment, event, memory.  That will always be more important than having the best equipment to capture a perfect picture.

I know that's not what you're saying but I think it's important that people like myself, snappers, remember that fact.

Nothing worse than seeing someone at a one in a lifetime event viewing the whole thing through a viewfinder!
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #701 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

I know that's not what you're saying but I think it's important that people like myself, snappers, remember that fact.

Nothing worse than seeing someone at a one in a lifetime event viewing the whole thing through a viewfinder!

Oh I agree with you entirely. That's why I don't like video.

Snaps are quick and a great way to save the memory for ever.

I do think that photography makes people look at things more carefully though.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 28, 2012, 07:13:04 AM »

I love that photo, Tom, you looked so young, slim, & healthy back then.  Compared to now, of course, obv.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: March 28, 2012, 08:19:30 AM »

I love that photo, Tom, you looked so young, slim, & healthy back then.  Compared to now, of course, obv.

Calm down, light a fag, have a Nurofen and shut up.

ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 28, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »

I'd have cheated a bit and brought up the much needed saturation in my face Shocked
Great pic, still pretty good quality for a phone imo.
Look forward to seeing Rex's version Wink
and Rex's Vegas photo blog!

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 112 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: