blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Capello resigns
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capello resigns  (Read 32231 times)
Raman

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »

Much of the problem with England as far as I see it is you seem to believe you have some sort of right to win and believe yourselves to be superior.   

I really don't understand it all. 

Personally, I think Redknapp is the best option and I have said as much for a number of years. 

Good payers don't necessarily make good managers, good club managers don't necessarily make good international managers and the best managers don't always win trophies or get top jobs.  I think a few on here would do well to bear this is mind.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »

Redknapp's skills lie in his wheeling and dealing, and his ability to man-manage the players (as long as things aren't going too badly).  So he'd come in and there'd be the initial euphoria and possibly some results (the players aren't all that bad so we should be capable of beating most other international teams, especially those outside the top 10), but how tactically astute is he? As an international manager he'd have no wheeling and dealing to do (unless it involves brown envelopes for refs or coaches and players from other countries), and I'm sure the honeymoon period would be short and sweet.

This sums it up really though:
Bournemouth Football League Division Three: 1986–87
 Football League Trophy: 1983–84
 West Ham United UEFA Intertoto Cup: 1999
 Portsmouth Football League Division One: 2002–03
 FA Cup: 2007-08
 Tottenham Hotspur Football League Cup runners up: 2009

Hiddink would be my choice.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »

i heard a rumour its enlgands turn to get berti vogts

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

'Arry Kurruptnut has left virtually every club hes been at bankrupt. Bournmouth, pompey, west ham. Thankfully he can't buy England players.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »

Wouldn't be the first time an Italian skipper abandoned a sinking ship....

The older I get, the better I was.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »

'Arry Kurruptnut has left virtually every club hes been at bankrupt. Bournmouth, pompey, west ham. Thankfully he can't buy England players.
+Southampton

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »

Both he and Eriksson may have done the business with Italian league clubs, but they have both highlighted the huge gulf between Serie A and International football management.

I think they've both shown themselves to be tactically inept, inflexible and somewhat poor man managers.

Fabio's won the lot and managed bugger all with England.

Well, based on results (what else), Capello has been England's most successful manager ever by a long way, with Ramsay, Hoddle, Greenwood & Eriksson all almost equal next with hardly anything between them percentage-wise.

Results in qualifying and friendlies are not what its all about though - what we need is the ability to prepare a squad, inspire them and make the necessary tactical adjustments (in play) in order to get results at a major tournament. Capello failed miserably at this.

Ramsey, Robson and Hoddle performed much better than Capello in these respects.

Argument falls apart if you include Robson. Great at qualifying - hopeless in tournaments.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »

Argument falls apart if you include Robson. Great at qualifying - hopeless in tournaments.

he had 2 world cups. in one we lost in the quarter final and no matter how good a manager you're going to lose to maradonna scoring one with his hand and one with sheer brilliance. in the other he took us to withing a penalty shoot out of the final. hopeless may be a bit harsh

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »

Capello is the most successful England manager in terms of win ratio

Why r we hating ?

Just me
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2012, 12:04:52 AM »

Why are we hating? You think about it... everytime we play a decent team we get torn apart, just not good enough. The italian way to play football is a poor way to play it, hence why we don't win by many.

I think Harry will take it though, but don't think it is as cut and dry as many people think. Harry has been waiting a long time for a job like the one he has now, so will he quit Spurs for a a position, which in the last few years seen managers downgrade their career.
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »

It's not like  England have a really good chance of winning a world cup or Euro anything

There is always huge hype about England when they are just a mediocre team

That's why I hate England at football

Just me
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »

Why are we hating? You think about it... everytime we play a decent team we get torn apart, just not good enough.

The players aren't good enough - England could be managed by a fellowship of Fergie, Mourihno, Paisley, Clough, Gandalf and Batman and they still wouldn't win the Euros or World Cup.
TopTen

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »

Why are we hating? You think about it... everytime we play a decent team we get torn apart, just not good enough.

The players aren't good enough - England could be managed by a fellowship of Fergie, Mourihno, Paisley, Clough, Gandalf and Batman and they still wouldn't win the Euros or World Cup.

^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^that^^^^^
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2012, 03:42:53 AM »

he had 2 world cups. in one we lost in the quarter final and no matter how good a manager you're going to lose to maradonna scoring one with his hand and one with sheer brilliance. in the other he took us to withing a penalty shoot out of the final. hopeless may be a bit harsh

Selective memory. Robson had mediocre results in tournament finals and was lucky to get anywhere near a semi-final.

He was manager for 4 tournaments:

1984 Euros: Didn't qualify for finals.

1986 WC: Lost to Portugal, drew with Morocco, beat Poland. Beat Paraguay. Lost to Argentina. It looked for a while like they wouldn't get out of their group.

1988 Euros: Lost to Ireland, lost to Netherlands, lost to Russia. Humiliation.

1990 WC: Drew with Ireland, drew with Netherlands, beat Egypt. Beat Belgium. Beat Cameroon. Lost to Germany. Lost to Italy. Lucky to reach the semis. Belgium dominated their match and still regard their loss as the greatest travesty in WC history. Then Cameroon also nearly knocked them out until two penalties got England through, one in ET.

Total - Played 15, Won 5, Drew 3, Lost 7. Hardly an outstanding performance. Under Robson, England lost every match played against a 'good' team, apart from the draw against The Netherlands. The wins they got were against the likes of Egypt, Cameroon & Paraguay. They couldn't beat Morocco or Ireland, even losing one of the games against Ireland.

Robson offered to resign after the failures in 84 & 88 but the FA declined in order to keep Clough out - then they sacked him anyway just before the 90 WC, with effect from immed after. Reaching the semis and the very good performance there against Germany has caused people to forget his poor record until then.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:38:48 AM by MintTrav » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: