blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 08:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272774 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A simple question
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A simple question  (Read 6286 times)
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »

Why are we objecting to someone being told the pot size by the dealer if the player asks him to count it?  i hate it when they tell the player without asking but thats obv bad form.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

Why are we objecting to someone being told the pot size by the dealer if the player asks him to count it?  i hate it when they tell the player without asking but thats obv bad form.

Shouldn't a player be able to follow how much is in the pot, or work it out?  Isn't that one of the skills of the live game (as mentioned earlier)?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:48 PM »

Shouldn't a player be able to follow how much is in the pot, or work it out?  Isn't that one of the skills of the live game (as mentioned earlier)?

Yes. But does it really matter?

Just how much of an advantage are they gaining by just being told?

Especially as the alternative is most likely that they ask the dealer to spread the chips so that they can laboriously try and count them out like that - wouldn't it just be a lot more efficient if they could just ask and the dealer told them?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »

Yes. But does it really matter?

Just how much of an advantage are they gaining by just being told?

Especially as the alternative is most likely that they ask the dealer to spread the chips so that they can laboriously try and count them out like that - wouldn't it just be a lot more efficient if they could just ask and the dealer told them?

...and if someone asks on every street of every hand?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

Why are we objecting to someone being told the pot size by the dealer if the player asks him to count it?  i hate it when they tell the player without asking but thats obv bad form.

not sure anyone's particularly objecting. more saying that they shouldn't be told because that's clearly set out in the tda rules

whether or not it's a good rule is a different discussion

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »

Isn't negotiating a good deal at the final table one of the skills of the live game?

If poker did abandon deal making it would slightly disadvantage players with people skills....so why not announce the pot and slightly disadvantage players who are good at maths while we're about it? Poker scientists with dominant left brain activity shouldn't get priority over poker artists with dominant right imo Wink

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »

it displays the pot size and and allows u bet the size of the pot online....................

You don't have to wear clothes when you play online...

Really might try that live
And give that excuse

Just me
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

The amount of times any one player in a given tournament wold really ask to know the pot size is so small that i cant see an issue with them beng given that information if asking for it. It will usually be when they are facing a decisin to call on river IMO rather than each street to decide on sizing.

Whats the current position by the way at Dtd? If next time i go i bet pot what will the dealer tell me?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »

The amount of times any one player in a given tournament wold really ask to know the pot size is so small that i cant see an issue with them beng given that information if asking for it. It will usually be when they are facing a decisin to call on river IMO rather than each street to decide on sizing.

Whats the current position by the way at Dtd? If next time i go i bet pot what will the dealer tell me?

If you say "I bet pot", they'll ask you how much you want to bet. 

If you ask what the pot is, they'll tell you they're not allowed to say, but will spread the pot for you so you can see the chips more clearly.

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

No, players should not be told what the pot is. And no, they should not be allowed to bet the pot.

If they want to know how much is in there then they should pay attention.

Obviously online it displays it because it pretty much doesn't have any choice.

But in the live game it is a players responsibility to follow the action and keep a running total (roughly) in their head.

And I agree that the string betting rule needs sorting out. So so so badly missapplied in every tournament I've played in. Throw in some chips where one happens to hit the felt half a second before the rest? OMG. STRING BET. DEALER. STRING BET. GET THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR. STRING BET. So so tilting.

Blue text
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »

Think it's good once in a while to challenge these rules which may or may not have become outdated. Our local gala STILL antes people when they miss a round of the button and cannot really justify why they do this. Such a tilting ridic rule but seems to remain because it's a rule they've always had

I agree, but top of the list to review HAS to be the way the string-betting rule is used in the UK.

I am not sure I have ever seen an intended string-bet, to be honest, or advantage gained from one. OK, some smartalec will remember one or two, but its out of all proportion to the arguments it causes, especially for newbies struggling to learn the game, whom we should be encouraging.

AGREE! Most outdated ridiculous rule ever.

YES YES YES to you both, without question the stupidest rule in poker.

I agree tikay I have never seen anyone deliberately string-bet in a live game, or try gain an advantage (one of the most famous ones was on the main when a guy who couldn't speak english moved 2million chips over, then brought them back and only bet 1million - was an obv string bet) but iv never seen in person.

What I have seen however, more times than i can count, is someone trying to bet £200, but mistakenly dropping £25 first as he puts his money over the line and another player in the pot (who will happily call £25 but doesn't want to call £200) getting the floor and insisting the bet is £25. How that isn't considered an angle-shoot is beyond me. its a rule that just relentlessly allows people to angle really innocent little mistakes.

In america they use the rule of "forward motion" where regardless of what you do with your chips it's the interpreted INTENTION that count's. so if i make a gesture the shows an intention to bet £200, then it stands, if i drop a few chips by mistake they don;t punish you. Much much better rule.

And ye, no to both initial questions, I can't think of any good reason why the dealer shouldn't be allowed to count the pot but I don't care cos it makes no difference to anyone's life. If people ask the dealer whats in the pot in hands vs me, I just tell them myself wat's in the pot I can't see how it makes a single difference, but as I say, I don't care Cheesy

agree with george. lots of outdated rules, need to be looked at.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »

If next time i go i bet pot what will the dealer tell me?

Try asking a dealer if they will make a cup of tea for you.  They will tell you to gtfo because it isn't their job.  Telling you what the size of the pot is or who open raised pre-flop or if anyone is on tilt isn't their job either.  The dealers job is to run the game, not be holdem manager.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »

what lilD said.

There is a large mound of chips in the pot, we're playing NL what is in the pot is up to you to remember. Though i'd rather tell someone the pot than wait for them to get it spread and just stare at it and waste time.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »

I just don't get the point of forcing someone to add up the pot themselves, is it so you can feel superior?
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »

I just don't get the point of forcing someone to add up the pot themselves, is it so you can feel superior?

no it's because lots of people cant add + make mistakes + dem rules + speed of gameplay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: