blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  'contract out' pension choice
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'contract out' pension choice  (Read 1904 times)
ACE2M

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

what does it mean and should you do it?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/workplace-pension-schemes/final-salary-schemes/contracting-out-of-serpss2p

Covers pretty much everything.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
roscopiko

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »

Basically you've almost certainly got a non decision here once its abolished in April 2012.

shit @ poker since 1998
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

i keeping reading the main screen as "contract out penis........"

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »

what exactly is your choice?  Do you have a contracted out pension already?

If I was to take a stab, there is a good chance that contracting out is better than not contracting out right now.  The government is consulting on a simpler pension in future http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2011/state-pension-21st-century.shtml.  If this goes through, if you contract back in you could get nothing in return. 

As roscopiko states the option is about to disappear anyway, so any differerence will be short lived

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »

what exactly is your choice?  Do you have a contracted out pension already?

If I was to take a stab, there is a good chance that contracting out is better than not contracting out right now.  The government is consulting on a simpler pension in future http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2011/state-pension-21st-century.shtml.  If this goes through, if you contract back in you could get nothing in return.  

As roscopiko states the option is about to disappear anyway, so any differerence will be short lived

just starting and offered the option.

cheers for the replies.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:48:59 PM by ACE2M » Logged
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »

It's been a longtime since I worked as a financial consultant so not sure what changes have happened with regards to pensions.

Is your company got it's own pension scheme Huh?, if it has it may be offering you the option to join it or "opt out" and make your own pensions arrangements. The next question is it a final salary scheme or is it money purchase scheme. The old rule was if it's a final salary scheme you are better joining that scheme, infact advisors could not advise against joining a final salary scheme and would be fined if they did. This may have however changed as fewer final salary schemes exist these days.

Alternatively "contract out" my just refer to what use to be called SERPS and is a nominal amount of NI contributions that you can either invest yourself or goes towards your state pension.

Need much more info before stating "contract out or in" and advise seeking advise from a professional consultant. Another factor is do you see yourself staying with this company longterm Huh?.

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »

It's been a longtime since I worked as a financial consultant so not sure what changes have happened with regards to pensions.

Is your company got it's own pension scheme Huh?, if it has it may be offering you the option to join it or "opt out" and make your own pensions arrangements. The next question is it a final salary scheme or is it money purchase scheme. The old rule was if it's a final salary scheme you are better joining that scheme, infact advisors could not advise against joining a final salary scheme and would be fined if they did. This may have however changed as fewer final salary schemes exist these days.

Alternatively "contract out" my just refer to what use to be called SERPS and is a nominal amount of NI contributions that you can either invest yourself or goes towards your state pension.

Need much more info before stating "contract out or in" and advise seeking advise from a professional consultant. Another factor is do you see yourself staying with this company longterm Huh?.

cheers, i need to do some more asking by the sounds of it.
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »

Feel free to contact me if you need any further advice once you get more info but as I stated it's been a while since I worked in this industry.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »

I take it you have just started new employment?

Few, if any companies still have a Final Salary Scheme available to new employees. As Diceman said if that option was still available it is the better option.

I think your option to "contract out" will be more an opt out of an employee contiribution to your company scheme.

In the pension industry "contracting out" usually relates to choosing to have your NI contribution percentage normally allocated to provide the second state pension(S2P formerly known as SERPS) on at retirement age to be reinvested into a private or employers pension scheme. As from April this year contracting out of S2P is no longer an option so doubt that this is what you are being asked.

I am a trainer/mentor in pension administration, happy if you PM or email details and I'll have a look for you.

Geo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:30:37 PM by Geo the Sarge » Logged

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »

As mentioned above its unlikely you will have a choice post April 2012, if you are contracted out through a company final salary arrangement it wont be a choice, its either accept it or opt out.  Unless the Scheme is utter pants it would be highly highly unlikely that is the best option.

The S2P Scheme is a Career Average Revalued Earnings style scheme with age related structure and historically where a choice did occur it was better to be Contracted Out younger and then Contract In as you got older 50+ as it was less value for money.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: