blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272635 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Diaries
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diaries  (Read 27635 times)
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »

Interesting grim imo. Solaris takes the first set 6-4, he charms the locals, impresses with his knowledge, and actually succeeds in banking a 4 figure blonde-dollar sum. A decent short con performance you might say. However, deep in the second set the disciples Mark/Luke appear in the umpire's chair and make a controversial judgement call against our tennis loving degen friend. Solaris copes well with this surprising back-hand slice down the line and returns the ball with interest by starting to repay monies. He wins the point and the crowds gathered on Solaris Stump are whipped up into hysteria chanting his name. Our hero now knows the long con and a grand slam victory are very much on.

But wait, in the third set at game point disaster strikes and he breaks a string by running out of monies having already degened some away backing a mixed doubles match on Eurosport. He disappears into the changing room to get a spare and has so far failed to return. We are starting the slow hand clap now and Cliff Richard's about to get up a sing so new balls please!! Let's get the game back on.

Of all your crap posts over the years this might be the worst.

You'd feel like a jolly good laugh if he'd got £200 of your money, right?

i've read this forum for about 2 years and this was probably one of the best posts, out of all the diary's and stuff on here that are a little bit difficult to get into unless you're a regular member the one person who justs posts on all aspects of the forum and does so entertainingly is Mantis, as a writer and thinker head and shoulders above anyone on here, no disrespect intended, the only persons posts i bother to click on if i happen to read the site, you know that you might get something witty, funny or insightful with mantis whereas a huge % of other posts are usually regs asking newbies how much they want to be staked for when all they want is to try and join in the community, with no new posters allowed to come through because passing the test to get in the blonde clique it seems takes longer and is harder than doing your a-levels don't chase away the last half decent poster on the forum

hahahahaha

towards a newbie it's usually: "in for £200" isn't it?

"hahahahaha" just the same really, proved my point

I've also read nearly every single Mantis post. I'm not saying they're all terrible or looking to start an argument with him or anyone about it BUT he is not the best poster on this site, not by a long way. There are better posters, fact.

In fact, since he's been posting a huge amount less (maybe not at all) on the PHA board I think he's a far better poster/forum member than he was previously.

Yo it’s Greeky, how you doing fella? Yeah, I expect those words from my new best friend ohdear did sting a bit.

I would encourage all new members like ohdear to be confident about offering their views on here (especially such insightful ones) because any opinion is equally valid, and without contribution a forum simply can’t work. An internet forum needs multiple contributions and lots of hits to be overall successful both commercially and sociologically so it’s vital people get involved. And it is good fun.

I really do recommend new members get involved with pha as well because it’s a fabulous interactive poker tool this forum provides completely free of charge. They will learn a lot and have access to some skilled poker players. They will also see all the threads I was involved in pulled impressive stats in terms of contribution and hits, the things that make a forum successful. These days the stats say there is much less discussion and many less hits. So in actual fact i’m a much worse Blonde forum member. So wrong again Greeky but I do like this new chilled out thai approach thou.

Best poster Girgy imo

I'm interested actually about the comment you made saying: "these days the stats say there is much less discussion and many less hits"

Is this just the PHA board you're talking about or the forum as a whole?

If you're talking about the forum as a whole i'm not surprised, i have no axe to grind with anyone on here and mostly i've enjoyed reading the forum over the past couple of years but if there is a general decline in these numbers it doesn't take a genius to see why, this forum has gotton the diary aspect so so wrong. i come from a bb'ing forum where there's a whole section for members journals, they're interesting to read, but they mostly revolve around people workout routines for the day, how it's gone, weekly gains, if they're on gear(steroids) what they're taking and how much etc etc, people will also include in their journals stuff that might've happend to them that day outside of bb'ing because it's their diary and it has something to do with their life's but it's a bb'ing forum, that's what people are on the forum for and that's what they want to hear about.

there is however several boards and subsections and our general conversation board probably gets between 20-30 new threads every day, it's thriving.

also on our forum people get reps(reputation power) based on what good advice they've given, a lot of people like to train naturally but a good few take steroids, the most important thing when people do is that they are properly advised and guided, if someone has good reps its a good indicator that if they're advising you about something steroid related they know what they're talking about, i'm not suggesting you do that here but the point i was going to make is even the most "preeminent" of memberS with the most posts, reps and likes wouldn't dream of talking about something of general interest or something topical in their own journal, they could there's no rule against it but it's just not done, it would be considered very disrespectful the the forum as a whole, like you're detracting from the community and general discussion part of the forum which drums up huge amounts of interest for the forum, of course people come firstly to learn about bb'ing but if they see there's an absolutely thriving community too it compels them to stay.

I understand that now and then a diary goes away from poker, some diarys on here are not even about poker at all which i actually think is ok but when you start discussing things that are happening in the media in your diary instead of starting a thread about it in the lounge you are hugely hurting the forum, it's traffic and potentially new members it would generate.

Personally i think it's an ego thing, i really don't mean that in a bad way but i know that their have been a few threads like this one where someone has done a runner with some money and that can sting a bit and maybe as a forum youregulars have put a barrier up against the outside, that's the way it seems from the perspective of an impartial reader, although i still mostly enjoy the forum.

I read some of the diary's, sometime tikay posts about completely random stuff, not to do with poker, not to do with logging his events of the day and things that have no real immediate bearing on his life, imagine if all (or at least some) of those individual posts he made as threads on the lounge, greekstien and red dog too, the place would be heaving again, the forum would be alive! and there's still be a ton of room to write about all aspects of other stuff on your diary's.

the worse thing ive seen is when the normal members start a thread about something that's happend in the news, spend all day discussing it, for all intents and purposes promoting the site, advertising that their can be good debate and discussion, just for a Senior member in his diary to come along that night and say: "did you see this in the news this is my 2p's worth2 without a thought about starting a new thread in the lounge on it let alone seeing if the normal folks of the forum have already, that is just so disrespectful to your own forum and the people that have put the effort in to taking the time to make that thread.

That unfortunately is why i imagine hits and interaction is down, sure the diary's gets lots of views but how many people regularly interact with you on them, i mean REGULARLY? 5? maybe 10, is the success of a diary worth the overall decline in the forum?

things like twitter, facebook and forums you're only as good as your last post normally and the viewing public are a fickle bunch, when you get told so many times what a great poster you are and how fantastic your diary is i think it's easy to get wrapped up in your own sense of self importance and people get the old can't see the wood through the trees syndrome, and it seems to be what's happend here, i'm sure the top posters on here know in the back of their minds and hearts that the stuff they're talking about in their diary's would be much better served, for the sake of the forum, being discussed in the lounge etc but the ego things comes into it and i've no doubt you guys love the forum hugely but just can't stop yourself from thinking about the posterity of your diary and how individualy it serves your own purpose all the while knowing how badly it's hurting the forum

2 years ago it wasn't like this, i've even gone back and read some stuff from 3 years ago and the place is unrecognisable, i know it's the case with forums that they evolve and have to adapt etc but it's sad to say that the way you've gone from the outside the forum looks like nothing more than a bunch of self indulgent diary's and DTD spam, it's not very pretty

tl;dr

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »

ohdear

Not going to argue your point on diaries. I disagree with it, but you are perfectly entiteld to hold the view

On traffic, the forum is busier for traffic in 2012 than it has been for some time, and post count runs at around 150% of monthly low points in mid 2010. That's taken quite a lot of hard work, and its not just diaries. For example, the Betting tips section has never been healthier

I think Mantis may have been referring to PHA. Not sure he's right on that either though. It may lack the huge cock waving threads that characterised it a year ago, but its a high quality resource now. Lots of great posts from top players. Occasionally Greek Stein too.

Welcome to blonde anyway. 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »

Interesting grim imo. Solaris takes the first set 6-4, he charms the locals, impresses with his knowledge, and actually succeeds in banking a 4 figure blonde-dollar sum. A decent short con performance you might say. However, deep in the second set the disciples Mark/Luke appear in the umpire's chair and make a controversial judgement call against our tennis loving degen friend. Solaris copes well with this surprising back-hand slice down the line and returns the ball with interest by starting to repay monies. He wins the point and the crowds gathered on Solaris Stump are whipped up into hysteria chanting his name. Our hero now knows the long con and a grand slam victory are very much on.

But wait, in the third set at game point disaster strikes and he breaks a string by running out of monies having already degened some away backing a mixed doubles match on Eurosport. He disappears into the changing room to get a spare and has so far failed to return. We are starting the slow hand clap now and Cliff Richard's about to get up a sing so new balls please!! Let's get the game back on.

Of all your crap posts over the years this might be the worst.

You'd feel like a jolly good laugh if he'd got £200 of your money, right?

i've read this forum for about 2 years and this was probably one of the best posts, out of all the diary's and stuff on here that are a little bit difficult to get into unless you're a regular member the one person who justs posts on all aspects of the forum and does so entertainingly is Mantis, as a writer and thinker head and shoulders above anyone on here, no disrespect intended, the only persons posts i bother to click on if i happen to read the site, you know that you might get something witty, funny or insightful with mantis whereas a huge % of other posts are usually regs asking newbies how much they want to be staked for when all they want is to try and join in the community, with no new posters allowed to come through because passing the test to get in the blonde clique it seems takes longer and is harder than doing your a-levels don't chase away the last half decent poster on the forum

hahahahaha

towards a newbie it's usually: "in for £200" isn't it?

"hahahahaha" just the same really, proved my point

I've also read nearly every single Mantis post. I'm not saying they're all terrible or looking to start an argument with him or anyone about it BUT he is not the best poster on this site, not by a long way. There are better posters, fact.

In fact, since he's been posting a huge amount less (maybe not at all) on the PHA board I think he's a far better poster/forum member than he was previously.

Yo it’s Greeky, how you doing fella? Yeah, I expect those words from my new best friend ohdear did sting a bit.

I would encourage all new members like ohdear to be confident about offering their views on here (especially such insightful ones) because any opinion is equally valid, and without contribution a forum simply can’t work. An internet forum needs multiple contributions and lots of hits to be overall successful both commercially and sociologically so it’s vital people get involved. And it is good fun.

I really do recommend new members get involved with pha as well because it’s a fabulous interactive poker tool this forum provides completely free of charge. They will learn a lot and have access to some skilled poker players. They will also see all the threads I was involved in pulled impressive stats in terms of contribution and hits, the things that make a forum successful. These days the stats say there is much less discussion and many less hits. So in actual fact i’m a much worse Blonde forum member. So wrong again Greeky but I do like this new chilled out thai approach thou.

Best poster Girgy imo

When I was a new member I immersed myself in PHA. I was the board I spent most time in. So I completely agree that new members get involved. You seem to think I was saying they shouldn't? Not at all.

I was referring to your posting style on PHA which was very annoying for a lot of people. Perhaps unintentionally but there were many times that you were arguing against people posting in a way that your line in a hand > theirs when not only was that not the case, but it wasn't really the right way to go about it imo.

Nah bud my posting style was very intentional. If your objective is to encourage contribution and get hits it is a damn good posting style as well. Don't forget I did those hands of the week for Blonde pretty early on so I was always tuned in to achieving these commercial numbers on pha. Sure it's not going to make you very popular with the better players but that was also half the fun of it. Obv I am only a recreational player so any full time pro will be a better player and give better answers but just putting +1 would /thread and be dull. Also standing up for my views as a part-time player would hopefully encourage other part-time players to do likewise rather than being fearful. So all in all I think it was the right way to go about it, pha was never about getting along with people or proving I was the best player. I miss a bit of cock waving actually and might wave my cock again sometime soon.

ohdear I think numbers are actually higher overall across the forum these days. I'm not a big fan of the diary format either but they are ok. Maybe you should find stuff you like on the forum and post there.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »

agree 100% with ohdear's comments about diaries

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »

agree 100% with ohdear's comments about diaries

Me too
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »

what would bhe post count without the diaries tighty?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »

I <3 Blonde

A thread on the Betting Tips and Sport Discussion Board which started as a possible grim has turned into a debate about who has the best posting style and whether or not diary threads are a 'good thing'.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
ohdear

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »

ohdear

Not going to argue your point on diaries. I disagree with it, but you are perfectly entiteld to hold the view

On traffic, the forum is busier for traffic in 2012 than it has been for some time, and post count runs at around 150% of monthly low points in mid 2010. That's taken quite a lot of hard work, and its not just diaries. For example, the Betting tips section has never been healthier

I think Mantis may have been referring to PHA. Not sure he's right on that either though. It may lack the huge cock waving threads that characterised it a year ago, but its a high quality resource now. Lots of great posts from top players. Occasionally Greek Stein too.

maybe it doesn't seem detrimental to the forum when you're emersed inside of it which i suppose is ok if you're happy with your existing member base and not looking to grow but from the outside they seem to fragment the forum so overtly and with such high volumes of discussion passing through them it makes it, at the very least daunting, at most impossible for a newbie to get into the swing of the forum, it's not like you can just hit the ground running with the diary's, a lot of them have deep histpry and severel running themes/jokes that newbies won't have been aware of. sure people like me will come in who have been long time readersd and are a bit up to date, also i'm sure you get people who are just generally comfortable in a forum setting so pick it up as they go along but if we're being honest a lot of people arnt, i think phil galfond said it in blog he wrote which someone linked in the lending money from poker players thread that a huge majority of online players are socially awkward & introverts, the place where they do feel comfortable expressing themselfs is on the internet, as i suggested before getting into the blonde can be hard enough as newbies get a rough ride but if you're determined enough and you get through that initial phase you get accepted, i imagine though many don't as they're are left scratching their heads wondering how it is they're supposed to interact and engage with people on the forum when a huge % of that is done by it's biggest and most innfluential posters on their own diary's, its daunting and disenfranchising.

Has it never been discussed for the diary's/jourals to have their own board?

I cannot see why you wouldn't have done this, if it has been discussed then the only reason why i can imagine it hasn't been implimented is because the people who's diarys are at the top of the rail want them to stay there and be centre of attention, again ive got no axe to grind it's just with the diary's it really does seem like an ego thing so if an idea to have a board for them of their own was blocked it wouldn't surprise me but i think it's a massive shame for the forum.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:31:34 AM by ohdear » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

well the diaries have been around in some cases for over 3 years. Most sprung up early 2011 I suppose

If you took all the diary posts out from Jan and Feb post count this year, we are still up on the March-July 2010 (which included the veteran diaries)

My point is, traffic is on the up in other threads and boards too

As you know pleno, forums are evolving things. People come and go, characteristics change. A few years ago a lot of traffic was in things like "One word thread" "rate my breakfast" etc: Lounge threads. .Now, there's a lot less of the "recreational" threads and more betting, poker related diaries etc relecting a different mix of people on here

That may change again, too.  As may the policy of having diaries on the rail, its looked at all the time. As it is though, they are still incredibly popular by views, posts etc

My eyes are open wide
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »

well the diaries have been around in some cases for over 3 years. Most sprung up early 2011 I suppose

If you took all the diary posts out from Jan and Feb post count this year, we are still up on the March-July 2010 (which included the veteran diaries)

As you know pleno, forums are evolving things. People come and go, characteristics change. A few years ago a lot of traffic was in things like "One word thread" "rate my breakfast" etc: Lounge threads. .Now, there's a lot less of the "recreational" threads and more betting, poker related diaries etc relecting a different mix of people on here

That may change again, too.  As may the policy of having diaries on the rail, its looked at all the time. As it is though, they are still incredibly popular by views, posts etc

Tighty, did my diary failure hit blonde pretty hard?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »

ohdear

maybe it doesn't seem detrimental to the forum when you're emersed inside of it which i suppose is ok if you're happy with your existing member base and not looking to grow but from the outside they seem to fragment the forum so overtly and with such high volumes of discussion passing through them it makes it, at the very least daunting, at most impossible for a newbie to get into the swing of the forum, it's not like you can just hit the ground running with the diary's, a lot of them have deep histpry and severel running themes/jokes that newbies won't have been aware of. sure people like me will come in who have been long time readersd and are a bit up to date, also i'm sure you get people who are just generally comfortable in a forum setting so pick it up as they go along but if we're being honest a lot of people arnt, i think phil galfond said it in blog he wrote which someone linked in the lending money from poker players thread that a huge majority of online players are socially awkward & introverts, the place where they do feel comfortable expressing themselfs is on the internet, as i suggested before getting into the blonde can be hard enough as newbies get a rough ride but if you're determined enough and you get through that initial phase you get accepted, i imagine though many don't as they're are left scratching their heads wondering how it is they're supposed to interact and engage with people on the forum when a huge % of that is done by it's biggest and most innfluential posters on their own diary's, its daunting and disenfranchising.

I cannot see why you wouldn't have done this, if it has been discussed then the only reason why i can imagine it hasn't been implimented is because the people who's diarys are at the top of the rail want them to stay there and be centre of attention, again ive got no axe to grind it's just with the diary's it really does seem like an ego thing so if an idea to have a board for them of their own was blocked it wouldn't surprise me but i think it's a massive shame for the forum.

clearly it's not hitting you as hard as i stated which i'm glad about if numbers and hits are up, i just think that moving the diary's to their own board can only have an upside, there's no negative, apart from a tad less attention for the witers but when i said no negative i meant as a forum for the whole   

yes it has been discussed. People have different views, for sure

As for newbies, well one of the reasons is (and I say this as a criticism of myself, not most newbies) its easy to be suspicious of newbies. Why? Too many times had my mental pants pulled down by banned members signing up anew and causing trouble under new names. This might be scamming, grimming etc. 

Recently a banned member (and banned for a very good reason) signed up as a new member. Within a very short space of time we knew who this was, but couldn't prove it. 1500 posts in we had the proof, and could get rid. Again

I do think we are welcoming to newbies most of the time, but its not as easy to be as welcoming as we should be.

I thought one of the characteristics of the diaries was that someone could start on the latest page, and join in straight away without knowing the back history. As you say though, people don't. So food for thought

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »

Not as much as X-factor being axed would.

My eyes are open wide
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

Not as much as X-factor being axed would.

i was a huge disappointment this year on the x-factor game.  i need to change my sig but can't think of anything to change it to.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:30 AM »

The reason i chose Blonde to be my home was the fact it is so diverse. Good community spirit and the vast majority of posts are intelligent and often witty. Also the updates, PHA and betting threads are second to none imo.

Understand what Gatso and ohdear are saying and admittedly there are still some shabby diaries out there, but i still respect people for sharing their thoughts and experiences.

Couldn't not have them though, Eso's and Taximan's diaries are must reads from the very first post imo.

Without Tikay's diary how would we all get to sleep?

ohdear

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

ohdear

clearly it's not hitting you as hard as i stated which i'm glad about if numbers and hits are up, i just think that moving the diary's to their own board can only have an upside, there's no negative, apart from a tad less attention for the witers but when i said no negative i meant as a forum for the whole   

yes it has been discussed. People have different views, for sure

As for newbies, well one of the reasons is (and I say this as a criticism of myself, not most newbies) its easy to be suspicious of newbies. Why? Too many times had my mental pants pulled down by banned members signing up anew and causing trouble under new names. This might be scamming, grimming etc. 

Recently a banned member (and banned for a very good reason) signed up as a new member. Within a very short space of time we knew who this was, but couldn't prove it. 1500 posts in we had the proof, and could get rid. Again

I do think we are welcoming to newbies most of the time, but its not as easy to be as welcoming as we should be.

I thought one of the characteristics of the diaries was that someone could start on the latest page, and join in straight away without knowing the back history. As you say though, people don't. So food for thought

i understand the scamming bit and why people would be suspicious of newbies(i first became aware of the forum after the stuff with blatch) so i understand why your regulars have their guard up, i think i said that in my first post, i didn't mean to come across as being critical, it's just from my observation of the bb'ing forum i post on where having a diary's section works so well it could also do here, but that was in response to mantis saying numbers are down, if they're not maybe my point isn't as valid and its not something you'd need to consider. i know that you've got this deal now with dtd that stops discussion of other places, combined with the diarys the rail looks like one huge big advert for dtd with a few diarys scattered inbetween, it's hard for a newbie to know where to start and what they can or can't say, moving the diary's would streamline this and open the forum up i think, it looks like you've gone out of your way to compicate the rail for newbies who are surely your bread and butter, the regs will stay, they're here already and arnt going to leave just because you find a new board for the diarys  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: