blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:35:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  This is NOT another diary... actually, it is!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is NOT another diary... actually, it is!  (Read 11942 times)
Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »

This is a thread to vent my tilt of life in the low stakes.

I haven't played much for a couple of years since switching careers, thus starting the most swingy of general life sessions since birth.

After 8 years in IT i decided to leave my career and find a job that I actually wanted to do. Could I see myself in IT in 20 years time? Hell no. I was only in it because I got offered a job in a start-up company owned by a cousin of mine. I'm a fairly bright fellow and can seem to do pretty well in everything I put my hand to, the problem is that I lacked the drive for IT sales or the studious commitment to keep up with the technical side. The fact is that IT moves so fast that you have to be permanently studying in order to keep up. Again, did I want to keep at it for 20 years? No. I'm a fairly decent saleman with a knack for being able to speak to people, but I get tilted that If I do £6000 GP a month I only keep 20% of £6000 minus my salary as commission. It a healthy amount but I seem to be working REALLY hard to line the pockets of others. Again, not happening for 20 years.

I posted on here a while ago and got some great advice. http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=45561.msg1092009#msg1092009 - but I never followed it up.

So after leaving IT I found myself adrift but supported by a wonderful girlfriend and her 3 year old son. After 3 months of general couch surfing and CV submitting on Total Jobs the only progress was learning a lot about "How Stuffs Made" (Chanel 144 9am mon-fri). That was the bottom of the first downswing. Then, whilst casually walking past an Evans Cycles I saw an add, they were hiring. Remember I have a knack for talking to people? I walked in and asked about the job, Bink - Insta-hired!! Wiiiiiiiiiiiii - Cycling is "my sport" so it was perfect. I now have a job selling something I actually care about. (UPSWING) Doesn't get much better eh? Well, for the first 10 months it doesn't. But remember we have a 3 year old? He's about to start school mon-friday. I'm working in retail so have to work most if not all weekends for the most part. Our Tuesday-Thursday day off work/nursery adventure sessions have abruptly stopped and I literally don't see him for the next 6 months (DOWNSWING). So now I have a job I love, don't ever really go to "work" as such so work stress is at an all time low. The downsides are the hours and practically never seeing the family all at once. Even after a couple of promotions the negatives outweigh the positives and we agree that it's time I got a "proper job" - so back to IT sales it is as it's my only real experience on a CV in a market that is not exactly brimming with opportunity. (Further downswing)

I Bink a job on the first interview selling general IT hardware, software, anything else you can think of IT related - (neither up nor downswing) - and I have 2 weeks break in between my notice and my start date, right in the middle of the summer holidays. Whilst on minimum wage I couldn't play poker, it just wouldn't have been fair. But then I saw the Gala had a 100 FO in celebration of their new cardroom, I speak to the missus and she says that I should enter and a reward for me getting a new job - Wiiiiii. So off I pop on the Saturday lunchtime - arrive at Gala at 12:50 for the 1pm, start. I receive a phone call at 12:55, "Mark, you're Grandad's just died in St. Gemma's Hospice" - FML. (Downswing). To be fair we'd all been to say our final fairwell but now the world was one legend down and my Poker Tournament was seeming insignificant.

After an hour or so of nothing but junk and general sulking I look at Kings, player to my immediate right announces all-in, "what, seriously" CALL. He turns over 94os and I double up. Apparently he was bored. So with a nice healthy stack I call off a min-raise in the SB and the BB completes. I have 34cc Flop comes A25 rainbow. "All-in" by the initial raiser - I call and Big blind is baffled and lays it down. villain turned over trip 5's and I get grief for calling a min-raise in the small blind as big stack against the short stack. Some people!! The general run-like-theirs-someone-looking-down-from-above-to-keep-your-chips-accumulating lasts for the whole two days and we leave in 2ND with a deal done and I take £2.3kish (UPSWING).

I use the winnings to pay off some bills and book a trip to Disney Land Paris. Not many things are better than seeing a 5 year old's face when you tell him we're going to Disney Land, thanks Poker (and whoever was looking down on me that day).

So we have the most amazing holiday paid for by poker and I pop the question whilst we're watching the fireworks at Cinderalla's castle. She says yes, never in doubt and falls pregnant that night (dates unconfirmed but highly likely). (bigger UPSWING)

So now we're in a new job, engaged, expecting, earning more money and future Mrs. is now supportive of my poker playing having seen that a) I'm not degen and b) it Pays for stuff.

If you've made it this far you're doing well. I wouldn't have posted so much but I'm in the office on a bank holiday catching up with some work and watching Hellmuth blowups on You-tube. Thanks for staying with me.

So, I deposit £20 on sky poker to play a bit of poker instead of leaving preggo Mrs. at home while I'm at the pub. Play a few low-stakes cash tables and then see that there's a £5 bounty hunter starting soon. Hmm, I'll give that a go for a £5. Wiiiiiiiiii ship it for £130+ into my account and I'm loving the game. I did the £12k bounty hunter and Mini-Bounty hunter yesterday and got £0 returns. So now I've decided to "do it right" and adheer bankroll management rules. BUT, I know I'm stating short with circa 25 buy-ins for the 02/04 games. This is what I'm going to do, I'm going to grind 4 cash table at a time (Laptop doesn't seem to handle more that that without throwing a wobbler) but it's just sooooo tilting at those levels with people calling off anything - good when you hit, bad for bluffing. I'm new to the Sky micro-stakes but am I right in thinking that playing tight on there is the best way, or is it even more swingy at those levels with people playing all sorts of crap?

Poker has changed in the last 5 years and I'm on a steep learning curve it seems. I'll keep this thread (NOT a diary) updated and may use it to find out about what people think in strategies, levels, BR mgmt etc and all those things.

Thanks for reading, congrats on getting to the end - and no, you may not have those 5 minutes of your life back...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:51:47 PM by Beaver808 » Logged

Behavioral therapy guy - England Golf Squad Manager - Micro-stakes grinder

www.radtherapy.co.uk - www.peakstategolf.co.uk
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »

Congrats on finding time to get the Mrs pregnant Wink

Good start to the diary, look forward to more.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »

Lots of upswings which is good m8 so congrats and best of luck going forward Smiley

Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »

Gl sir, look forward to reading this.
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

gl, looking forward to this.

Glad to see Im not the only one who writes insanely long posts! Cheesy

BRM is absolutely paramount! and it will allow you to always play 'comfortably'. 

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »

Nice start to your diary   Gl with it!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »

Well, I've found something even more tilting than grinding low stakes for hours on end... Tournaments at Grosvenor Leeds - standard is beyond tez. Both players ave stack, both MPish. Min raise and a call. Flop comes    - player 1 checks, player 2 goes all-in. Player 1 dwells for a couple of minutes and then calls with - player 2 flips over and celebrates his dominating hand and player 1 mucks his hand... oh no no no, this is Grosvenor Leeds where poor play is rewarded. Turn  River  . Dealer then turns over player 1's hand to reveal for the split pot. Chip[s get divvied up evenly and I quietly have a word with myself for even blowing £20 on this waste of 4 hours.

I went out of the tourney with flopped top 2pair vs flopped straight. Everyone is going mad at the the "beat", I say well that's a 50p moment and walk off, someone even said that it was "brutal" - I don't think they've played much poker.

Preggo Mrs. is up in Newcastle visiting her parents so I fully intended to play the cash games but with £100 in my pocket I decided I was under-rolled and hadn't been feeling in "the zone" all night so returned home to watch channel 865 and neck a bottle of Berberana Rioja - half price from Tesco (nit-tastic).

If I get felted at the cash-game like in the last hand I played then I can't really justify waiting 3 weeks to get paid before I play live again. It looks like my Bankroll Management is off to a flying start!! Smiley

Thanks for all your replies, haven't hit the V-Felt tonight due to aforementioned Rioja so will be hitting it tomorrow and will update in due course...

ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »

You write really well, look forward to reading more.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »

Well peoples, after building a shed, painting the whole of the house downstairs and then painting previously built shed I got zero low stakes grinding done this weekend. I currently have a £100 roll on Sky Poker (Beaver8080, please don't play me - I'm not very good).

So my question is this - what should I do with the money as it increases? Should I transfer it to an online money holder such as Netella, Moneybookers, Paypal? Or just leave it in the Sky account, teasing me to move up the stakes quicker than I should?

I used to play on Tilt before Black Friday, I have a 'Stars account but haven't deposited yet. What are the best skins/networks these days? And what's the score with Rakeback, has it killed of the industry yet or can we still make a fairly decent chunk by grinding for hours on end?

Thanks in advance..

Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »

These Sky Poker Double you money tourney's are a lot of fun!!!!

I withdrew a few quid and left myself with exactly £100 last friday - after putting a couple of quid on the Grand National for the family, I was down to £80 d'oh!! Oh well, I haven't had time to grind properly so can either a) top it up or b) spin it up knowing that I'll be getting the money back after scrapping my old car for £130. So with £80 we obv fire up a .20/.40 and buy-in for the max £40

• we went for option B Smiley

Hero is in the BB with 100+ BB
Villian is SB with 100+ BB also

No reads or stats to add.

Folds round to the small blinds who calls for .20

Hero raises to £1.20 holding

Villain calls

Flop    

Villain Checks

Hero bets £2.40

Villain calls

Turn

Villain Checks

Hero bets £4

Villain Folds

How's my line looking? I was trying to perfect the art of bluffing, it's just lucky that we hit the 8 on the flop...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:23:03 PM by Beaver808 » Logged

Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »

Just reg'd for a £2 +.25p DYM tournament NLHE - tournament launches and I appear to to have 4 cards in-front of me... FML Omaha FTW!!

Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 02:08:45 AM »

Wiiiiii terribly overplayed AJcc>KK but hit an Ace on the flop, the poor chap went mental!!!!! - We have now run our bankroll up to £160 from £80 this week... we will now be back down at the micro stakes grinding like a MO-FO and keeping bankroll management under control... I hope Smiley

Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »

So, judging be the weight of my eyelids combined with the bumping in my head and knot in my stomach it would appear that playing poker after 2 bottles of wine and a glass of Cognac is not advisable - no wonder I overplayed the AJ hand; lesson learnt!!

Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 12:37:27 PM »

Oh dear god... Epic fail!!

Watched NCIS, winner
Watched Rizzoli & Isles, Winner
Drank bottle of Crabbies Ginger Beer, Winner
Drank bottle of red wine, Winner
Drank glass of Cognac, Winner

Took a shot on the .50p/£1 table - my roll went up to £200 then my two pretty red AA got crippled by J9o "puke" - my roll now stands at £43.44

Lessons learned:

• Do NOT play after drinking
  • Do NOT take shots when dramatically under rolled
  • Im an ass
  • Losing at poker hurts so much more when you're under rolled

Beaver808

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »

After drunkenly spunking out bankroll of the other night we've taken on the £750 Bounty Hunter that built our roll a week or so ago... Updates to follow

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: