blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Sheffield Half Marathon - please sponsor me!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sheffield Half Marathon - please sponsor me!  (Read 1506 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »

I wasn't going to do a separate begging thread for this, but I changed my mind Cheesy

So, as anyone who has followed the 'fit blondes in berlin' thread will be aware, I decided in a moment of semi-madness late last year to join the group of blondes that are heading out to Germany in September to run the Berlin Marathon.  At that point I was woefully unfit and leading a pretty unhealthy lifestyle  - couldn't walk a mile without my legs aching the following day, and never, as far as I can recall, ran more than a mile or so in my entire life at around 13 years old.

The next step on the road to Berlin is the Sheffield Half Marathon which I am running in just over 3 weeks (eek!) on 27th May.  It's not going to be an easy ride - I'm not as prepared as I'd hoped to be when I signed up for it back in around December time as a chest infection in Feb/March put a spanner in the works with my training. Also, despite now being able to run literally miles more than I ever have before, I'm still a way off covering anything like the half-marathon distance.  I'm absolutely certain I have it in me to go the distance though, and my inner masochist is actually looking forward to it Smiley

Now on to the begging part.  I'll be running in Sheffield in aid of the often overlooked mental health charity Mind (mind.org.uk).  As I'm sure most of you are aware, 1 in 4 people in this country will be diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their life.  Add to that the potentially millions of other people who suffer in silence, not seeking the help or treatment they need for reasons of fear of shame or stigma, often with devastating consequences.  Mind offer both practical and emotional support to those suffering with mental illness, as well as working closely with organisations such as Time to Change to help raise awareness and understanding of mental illness in hopes of tackling the still sadly prevalent stigma.

If you can spare just a couple of pounds for this worthy cause (and also give me a metaphorical kick up the butt to help me make it up the biiiiggg hills along the way), then it couldn't be easier.  The first link in my sig will take you straight to my Sheffield Half Marathon just giving page.

Finally,  thank you to those blondes who have already generously donated, and thank you in advance to anyone that does so Smiley  

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »

Hi Claire.

I'd like to make a small donatiion, but I don't ever use "JustGiving" as they charge a 5% commission, and a credit card processing fee, & I do not agree with that, so I have sent you a small donation by Bank TX.

Good luck.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »

thanks Tikay - confirmed received.  I'll make a card payment direct to the charity via their website (which I presume will be the most cost effective way of doing things) and email you a copy of the receipt.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »

thanks Tikay - confirmed received.  I'll make a card payment direct to the charity via their website (which I presume will be the most cost effective way of doing things) and email you a copy of the receipt.

Don't need that (a receipt) Claire, I just have a principled stubborn objection to using "JustGiving".

Good luck with the run thing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »

meh too late i've already sent it. 

tyty - luck equally gratefully received Cheesy

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »

bump.  This time next week I'll be a half-marathoner Cheesy

ty for donations so far - have raised a not-too-shabby £243 which I'm really pleased with, but would be great to hit £300.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »

Hi Claire.

I'd like to make a small donatiion, but I don't ever use "JustGiving" as they charge a 5% commission, and a credit card processing fee, & I do not agree with that, so I have sent you a small donation by Bank TX.

Good luck.

Never knew this.

Nice to have an excuse to continue not to use them.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »

Hi Claire.

Good luck.

Never knew this.

slightly misleading. they take the 5% from the giftaid that they reclaim from the govt. it would cost the charities more than that to claim the giftaid themselves and they can't claim it on a lot of donations received through other methods. charities use them because they make more money than by not using them

nearly £1.20 goes to the charity for every £1 you donate

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

Hi Claire.

Good luck.

Never knew this.

slightly misleading. they take the 5% from the giftaid that they reclaim from the govt. it would cost the charities more than that to claim the giftaid themselves and they can't claim it on a lot of donations received through other methods. charities use them because they make more money than by not using them

nearly £1.20 goes to the charity for every £1 you donate

I used to work for a company that processed a lot of charity donations - it really wasn't cheap for the charities.

I have heard - and I have no reason to disbelieve - that JustGiving is the cheapest way any charity can collect donations apart from people just showing up and giving them cash.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: