blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas, but no Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas, but no Aftermath - Diary  (Read 129062 times)
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

Learnt something new today then!

I meant what you thought  Wink
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »

Do you/did you ever play at Teesside?

I have done a couple of times when they had big festivals but I'm put off going regularly because the tables are self dealt. (is this still the case?)

It is at Gala - G has some dealer dealt tourneys, but thus far, it's small fields (<30, often la lot less). They managed to schedule the GUKPT in Stockton the same week as the UKIPT with £1MM gtd at DTD and got c50 for it.
They had a £100 buy in weekend before last and got similar.
Shame though, the room is really pleasant and the staff are very keen. The valets are outstandingly good (though Duane is nowhere near as good to look at as the DTD staff)

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »

Sorry guys am i going mad, where can i click to subscribe ?

Steve

Its just a term "the kids" use, means theyre following thread Smiley

Click on "notify"?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »

Camel's blogging again, happy days.

The greatest two blogs - back in the day, not now obv - were Camel, & Paul Dotcom Phillips, who wrote Extempore. (Extempore now deceased, Paul is a proud happy Dad these days, & is probably writing the next generation internet as we speak).

Does Andy Ward still Blog, Keith? That was a pretty good read, too.

Remind who "The Poker Bastard" was, please.......

I stole this photo from some blokes blog.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »

Andy blogs very rarely, but he tweets quite alot. @getitquietly definitely worth following.

And as I said to an even older member of this forum just today. I AM NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN THE POKER BASTARD!

If he is still around, I reckon he might have a field day with a couple of the threads on here atm!

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »

Andy blogs very rarely, but he tweets quite alot. @getitquietly definitely worth following.

And as I said to an even older member of this forum just today. I AM NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN THE POKER BASTARD!

If he is still around, I reckon he might have a field day with a couple of the threads on here atm!

Lol, I know it was not you. It was quite radical then, but times have changed, it would not raise an eyebrow now, everyone slags everyone else off & nobody bats an eyelid. Strange times.

And yup, he'd be in his element here. Maybe he is.......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:50 AM »

When I was a young poker player, the WSOP was the end of your financial year. It so dwarfed every other poker tournament, it was the chance to repair all the loses of the 12 months previous in one big hit. At the end of the series you could honestly answer, "have you had a good year?"

Now it's not so nearly important. There are monster tournaments virtually every week and if you've been doing it in all over the world since the last WSOP, only a top 3 finish in a bracelet event will have any hope of rescuing the situation.

To me though, it is still the end of the year. The Christmas for poker players.

And boy oh boy, do I need to find some pretty neat presents under the tree this Christmas.

Financially I've had the worst year since giving up work for the second time.

During the last year, we have built a house from scratch. We had the land already.. getting planning permission was a royal pain the arse.. it's in the middle of the countryside with no neighbours anywhere close.

The only way we could be granted planning permission was to build the house with an agricultural order. Meaning the people living in the house must work in agriculture. That's just fine... my partner is a farmer. But the downside is that the house is only worth about 25% of its intrinsic value. Added to my way of making a living, getting a mortgage was virtually impossible. So, the bankroll had to be plundered mightily.

Long term it will be great. No rent or mortgage to pay. And we have a a fantastic house, designed just how we want it.

But at the moment I'm as skint as I have been for a very long time.

Gambling has been pretty terrible too this year. Haven't played much live poker this year; but the one big shot I had.. the Lido in Amsterdam with about 400k to the winner. I was chip leader with 20 left. And came 20th. 77 < A3, TT < JJ and AK < AA all in the space of one orbit of the table. Marvellous. Long time since I've been as gutted as that.

Online poker is just too tough these days. After Americans were ridiculously stopped playing poker in their own living rooms (They can go out and buy a gun and ammunition capable of mowing down a whole school but can't play a $10 sit n go - Land of the free, don't make me laugh) it became good again for a while. But now it's even worse than ever. A large percentage of the skilled American players have migrated to countries where they are allowed to play poker but obviously the fish still aren't playing.

And I'm coming off the worst football season ever. My big long term positions last season were sell Bolton pts, buy Barnsley pts, buy Brighton championship index, buy Bournemouth pts and Barnet to be relegated. At Christmas I looked like winning the world. I could have closed out with a huge profit. But greening out is not for me. You are just pissing equity against the wall. Luckily my biggest position of all was Man City to win the Premier League. If Aguero didn't pop up with that last minute winner against the R's I would probably have been off down the job centre. Not that anyone would employ me!

It was still an eye watering loss on the season, doubly painful because I looked like winning the lot half way through.

So that is the background to this trip to VEGASSSSSSSS. I can't remember being more pumped or excited for a trip. I need a big score badly and historically, when I need it the most, I play my best. When I had my mega week in Luton 7 years ago I was borassic. When I came 4th in Amsterdam for 100k I had just written off my car the week before.

My frame of mind couldn't be better. So as the kids say:

Let's do this.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »

Moarrrrrrrr plz, great read.

VBOL in Vegas.

Do you think you'll always be playing poker to such a high level ?

Do you spend much time studying the game ?

If Bolton had've won their game would you have wanted Aguero to have scored that last minute goal ?
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 03:55:58 AM »

I have never met Andy Ward and you are correct that he rarely blogs but when he does it is amongst the most intelligent writing on gambling I have ever read.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »

I have never met Andy Ward and you are correct that he rarely blogs but when he does it is amongst the most intelligent writing on gambling I have ever read.

Very much so, but as far as I know, & as Keith suggested, it's dormant now.

Last entry I can find dates back to 2010.

His blog had a great sub-title.

Football, bollocks, and a bit of poker if you're lucky

http://www.getitquietly.blogspot.co.uk/

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:56 AM »

Best of luck out there Keith and hopefully you'll get the lot!!

Exactly the same as that, I used to love reading both of his blogs too. I really need to get on with this twitter as it seems all the cool kids are doing it, I've got an account but never use it really.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »

http://www.secretsoftheamateurs.blogspot.co.uk/

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »

http://www.secretsoftheamateurs.blogspot.co.uk/

Lovely stuff!

Thanks Simon. 

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »

Reading the "tips for tikay" thread, it seems if you have a couple of winning bets online, punters suddenly get restricted to £1.56 e/w.

Given you live in the middle of nowhere Keith, I don't suppose you get out to the high street bookies much?

...so being a pro punter you must need to place sizable bets...do you mainly use the betting exchanges? or how do you get decent bets on?

(if its not a secret  Smiley )
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »

Keith, you got any photos of your house - because I'm a nosey bastard? Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: