blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:09:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  For All You Wine Lovers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For All You Wine Lovers  (Read 7186 times)
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »

I opened an old bottle of" Brunello di Montalchino Riserva, Franco Biondi Santi, 2004" that I received for a Christmas present this year from my Bank Manager, it was excellent...

It's dense, slender, floral, complex, peppery, spicey and powerful.. I'm not a wine connoisseur, but this wine took my breath away.. Most likely the finest wine I've ever had..

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »

I opened an old bottle of" Brunello di Montalchino Riserva, Franco Biondi Santi, 2004" that I received for a Christmas present this year from my Bank Manager, it was excellent...

It's dense, slender, floral, complex, peppery, spicey and powerful.. I'm not a wine connoisseur, but this wine took my breath away.. Most likely the finest wine I've ever had..

So thin you can see through it

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »

So thin you can see through it

Clean shaven with a mustache, shaved pushed back hair and was 5' to 7'11 tall... 

ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »

Where's the best place over here for getting all the wine making gear?

I've used these guys http://www.innhousebrewery.co.uk/

They have a shop in Glasgow, they do mail order too and only charge postage at cost.

Ebay is very competitive for yeast/nutrient etc. I've always used the Young's brand and it's been great.

If you can't get hold of a demijohn easily, you can just use those 5 litre containers that spring water comes in. I also have a 5 gallon drum (disadvantage is that if something goes wrong, you've lost 5 gallons. Nothing went wrong yet, I'm pretty careful about cleaning and I do use campden tablets)

Bought one of these kits for £40, I got the Barolo one, it was pretty good. £1.20/bottle for a £7-equivalent Barolo.And there's nothing to it.

http://www.beaverdalewinekits.co.uk/beaverdale-wine-making-kits.php?gclid=CI7AofO10LACFY5pfAodA0jTVg

Their reputation is very strong.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »

The Isla Negra cab sav is one of the loveliest wines I've ever sampled.  The merlot's not bad either.  Really smooth, although I'm obviously not a wine connoisseur Cheesy

Shame that's not on offer Sad
http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8132+4294967176+4294967141&id=256267770
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:58:31 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

The Isla Negra cab sav is one of the loveliest wines I've ever sampled.  The merlot's not bad either.  Really smooth, although I'm obviously not a wine connoisseur Cheesy

Shame that's not on offer Sad
http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8132+4294967176+4294967141&id=256267770

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views/liverpool-columnists/put-a-cork-in-it/2011/03/17/put-a-cork-in-it-this-week-cabernet-sauvignon-100252-28351141/

""

First up is an excellent example from Chile’s Central Valley. Isla Negra is owned by Cono Sur, which in turn is owned by Concha y Toro - three brands familiar to our supermarket shelves and noted for their value and at times superb quality.

Morrisons is currently selling Isla Negra’s premium brand ‘High Tide’ cabernet sauvignon at just £4.99 a bottle (reduced from £10.19). Buy it while you can!

Dark in colour, this brooding 2009 would benefit significantly from an hour or two’s airing.

Without decanting, it developed impressively in the glass - opening up to reveal intense fruit and spices with a generous amount of creamy oak. Showing intense cloves, smokey church pews and ripe berries on the nose, this wine displayed a slight sweetness typical of ripe cabernet grapes from a warmer climate.

On tasting it revealed a damson and berry jamminess with cherry and vanilla.

This is a substantial wine with an intensity and structure far greater than its (temporary) £4.99 price tag would suggest.

""

Afaik, It's still available in Morrisons for £4.99, web search would seem to suggest so. I loved it too.

Also love Merlot, I'm not a connoisseur either Wink

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 07:56:52 PM »

lol - amazing film!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

buy 6 save 25% on all wine at sainsburys.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 06:12:05 PM »

I just used a £1.29 bucket

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »

I think there's a natural yeast on the elderflower, so you don't need to add any, nor should you wash it off. Just leave on a piece of card, for any bugs to jump off. Just completed some elderflower wine, it's pretty good. Not so sure about the carrot stuff though. Very strong.

J Lennon
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

Epic deal at Morrisons, this stuff was pretty nice, about £4.80 at the moment.

http://paulagoddard.com/component/content/article/13-wine/190-castillo-de-calatrava.html

""Morrisons Castillo de Calatrava Spanish Tempranillo Crianza is the Bargain of the Year (so far). Paying just £4 for this complex, fruity red is such a stonking deal (within their 3 for £12 offer which starts today) that buying just one bottle is a missed opportunity – my advice is buy as many as your purse will allow.
Morrisons assures me there is no limit on the quantity on this, or any other, particular bottle within the deal (which ends 25th March). So you can buy as many trios as you like but they will be subject to who gets there first.
And what a bargain it is: cocoa, blackberry, sloe and black cherry yoghurt flavours all nicely rounded off with some sucking-on-the-end-of-a-pencil woodiness. Which you’d think would be an ideal match to equally heavy-weight dishes such as beef stew or Sunday roasts but this wine is surprisingly light-bodied which means it can also match lighter, more aromatic meals such as pizza, pasta and sag aloo.""

J Lennon
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »

La Vita Montepulciano

Came in the Xmas hamper this year, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND... Better off buying some KA Grape Drink from your local ethnic store... Very flat but on a plus note, very easy to drink if you like squash...   

buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »

Wilkinsons have a decent homebrew section and there is a 30% off offer at the moment.  You can order whatever you like and get it delivered to a store near you.

Demijohns are around £7 but the 5l plastic bottles from tesco are fine, drill a hole in the the lid to fit the air lock through.

You can make some very drinkable wines from supermarket juice, a litre of whjte juice, a litre of orange juice and 800 grams of sugar plus some wine yeast will do the job.

Plenty videos on YouTube showing you how to doit.

This xmas dinner the buzz family will be drinking rhubarb wine which I made 5l for 80 pence, and a sweet strawberry desert wine which cost £3 for 5l.

Plus plenty of beer working out at about 30p a pint. Its a very fun but addictive little hobby.
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »

I think there's a natural yeast on the elderflower, so you don't need to add any, nor should you wash it off. Just leave on a piece of card, for any bugs to jump off. Just completed some elderflower wine, it's pretty good. Not so sure about the carrot stuff though. Very strong.

Think id be careful about wild yeast getting into the wine as it can cause infection. Soak the berries in a few litres of water with something called a campden tablet for 5 hours or so, strain, then use a normal wine yeast. Just to be on the safe side :-)

lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »

I can't recommend the Barefoot range enough. When I was a bit younger I used to buy a bottle of wine every time I went shopping (about twice a week). I had a method where I'd usually buy a different bottle of wine every week and just choose a bottle that I liked the label of. I didn't need to choose a specific type of wine because I like them all, I just figured if I chose a label I liked, I'd remember it for next time.

The Shiraz and Merlot is really good but I actually started out on the Pinot Grigio:

This probably shouldn't be on a forum, but if you like to get smashed on white wine with easy drinking and without too much headache then I recommend the Pinot Grigio. I'm only 26 now but I feel those days have gone passed me Sad. 2 bottles of wine now = 2 days of hangover. Wimp.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: