blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  my very impatient Dad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my very impatient Dad  (Read 34109 times)
david3103

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »

Dad is 86 and is about to become an In-Pensioner at the Royal Chelsea Hospital
For those who don't understand the siginificance of this (probably most of the under 25s) that means he'll look a lot like this on days he's in his full uniform

and live here

He uses his computer daily, mostly for emails, storing photos and occasional searching for information (he used it to research applying to become a Chelsea Pensioner)

His eyesight is good for his age, but a big screen is pretty important.
He's fairly nimble fingered, but the keyboard needs to be fairly easy to use
He may be persuaded to start using skype so that he can chat to us and to my sister who lives in Canada.
He's not going to be multi-tabling 25NL, playing Call of Duty or watching videos from youpron

I don't enjoy having to pick stuff for myself, let alone for someone else so, anyone got any suggestions?

Budget is around £300-£350
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:23:28 PM by david3103 » Logged

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »

ipad?

The older I get, the better I was.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »

ipad?

I'd be tempted to get the add on keyboard for him too as I can see it would be a bit fiddly for an old person, but that's not a bad shout and easy to use for the most part.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »

You must be very proud of him.

Please give him my regards.

The older I get, the better I was.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »

Definitely not an ipad, although thanks for the suggestion

I tried him with mine, but even with the add-on keyboard I don't see it being his thing.

I'm incredibly proud of him, now I've got over the shock of him upping sticks and leaving the town he's lived in all his life.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »

One of his Northampton friends took him to PC World and he's bought an ASUS

probably fine but of course they sold him MS Office and a wireless mouse to go with it...

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

What regiment was your dad in? Do they have to have at least made Sargent Major to be elligable to become a Chelsea Pensioner?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

Argyll n Sutherland Highlanders Jase.
No rank required - the eligibility rule is simply ex-serviceman, single'widowed/divorc ed these days. It used to be that you had to be in receipt of an Army Pension or Invalidity Payments, but that's not the case for Dad.
There's around 400 In-Pensioners, many of them over 90, some over 100 and there is, as you'd imagine, a fairly high turnover. Padre said he's done 400+ funerals in 10 years...
It's a very simple life and not all would find it attractive. But Dad is over the moon and impatient to be there now. His move is on the day after my Day1 in GP VII - it's going to make for a severe lack of sleep for me over the Sunday / Monday but all worthwhile

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 05:26:01 PM »

Argyll n Sutherland Highlanders Jase.
No rank required - the eligibility rule is simply ex-serviceman, single'widowed/divorc ed these days. It used to be that you had to be in receipt of an Army Pension or Invalidity Payments, but that's not the case for Dad.
There's around 400 In-Pensioners, many of them over 90, some over 100 and there is, as you'd imagine, a fairly high turnover. Padre said he's done 400+ funerals in 10 years...
It's a very simple life and not all would find it attractive. But Dad is over the moon and impatient to be there now. His move is on the day after my Day1 in GP VII - it's going to make for a severe lack of sleep for me over the Sunday / Monday but all worthwhile
Fml just read first line and my grandad was in the same reg which was strange because he was a cockney. Sadly he has passed away but gonna ask my old man who also did 22+ years.

My grandad suffered from Alzheimer's and everytime I went to see him we would talk about WW II and then after that he went onto serve in India. My grandad would have been 91 this year and shows what a small world it is.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »

It is indeed a small world (still wouldn't want to paint it though)
What was your granddad's name Jase? I'll mention it to dad, would be pretty spooky if they knew each other.
Luckily, dad's still very much compos mentis. One of the things the medic did when he had his assessment was tell him an address at the start of the process then ask for it at the end, around 20 minutes later.
He never talked to us about the war, and I suspect he's not going to start now, but he is still proud of his Argyll's connection, despite being a Northamptonian through and through.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »

My grandad was called Jim Herbert and I think he boxed for the reg as he was known as "Rocky" and i have a picture of him with the gloves on. I don't know how unusual it is to find a cockney in the reg as I would have thought the majority would have been scots. I know my dad was a drill instructor and I think my grandad may have been too so even tho he was a few years older they could have easily crossed paths.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »

My grandad was called Jim Herbert and I think he boxed for the reg as he was known as "Rocky" and i have a picture of him with the gloves on. I don't know how unusual it is to find a cockney in the reg as I would have thought the majority would have been scots. I know my dad was a drill instructor and I think my grandad may have been too so even tho he was a few years older they could have easily crossed paths.

It has always been quite common for Scots regiments to have English within the ranks. The Black Watch attracted a lot of Englishmen for some reason, may have been historic links of forebears being originally from Scotland.

For infantry regiments it was commonplace to have many members of the same family serving. My son and I served together along with a nephew.

Sadly the demise of the local regiments and their integration into these "super" regiments has lessened the tradition of family members following on.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »

It has always been quite common for Scots regiments to have English within the ranks. The Black Watch attracted a lot of Englishmen for some reason, may have been historic links of forebears being originally from Scotland.

For infantry regiments it was commonplace to have many members of the same family serving. My son and I served together along with a nephew.

Sadly the demise of the local regiments and their integration into these "super" regiments has lessened the tradition of family members following on.

Geo

Plus, when my dad joined up, there was a war on...

Tne Argylls are now just a part of The Scottish Regiment, but their plaid lives on as that chosen for the regiment. One of my early tasks once dad was on his way to becoming an In-Pensionef was to source an appropriate stable belt and I learnt a little history in the process
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:00:21 PM by david3103 » Logged

ScottMGee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »

Argyll n Sutherland Highlanders

My Late Grandad's regiment! (he fought at El Alamein)

Wer'e off to Stirling Castle (home of the regimental museum) next month.
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »

Argyll n Sutherland Highlanders

My Late Grandad's regiment! (he fought at El Alamein)

Wer'e off to Stirling Castle (home of the regimental museum) next month.
Sounds cool. Wish I knew a lot more about their history. Gonna sit down and have a chat about the army with my old man before its too late

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: