blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  my very impatient Dad
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my very impatient Dad  (Read 34303 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

Thanks to all for your responses and your sympathy.

It seems likely that the growths detected in dad's liver are secondary. The scan which was planned for 'as soon as possible' seems to be a fortnight away and the lack of urgency an acknowledgement that it will only serve to confirm the bad news.

On the brighter side - he's been established in his new home very well with his own TV etc moved in and his pictures being put on the walls.
He has a view over the tennis courts and Ranelagh Gardens down to the river and freedom to come and go as he chooses (and can manage).

Dad was the Bandmaster for our local Boys' Brigade for many years and has always loved Military Music. On Thursday he'll join some of his Northampton friends and relatives on their annual trip to The Royal Albert Hall to see the Massed Band of The Royal Marines in concert. This has been an event for him and for Mum when she was with us for around thirty years. It's comforting to know he'll see them at least once more.
video quality is a bit dodgy, but it does give a sample

#Invalid YouTube Link#

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

Thanks to all for your responses and your sympathy.

It seems likely that the growths detected in dad's liver are secondary. The scan which was planned for 'as soon as possible' seems to be a fortnight away and the lack of urgency an acknowledgement that it will only serve to confirm the bad news.

On the brighter side - he's been established in his new home very well with his own TV etc moved in and his pictures being put on the walls.
He has a view over the tennis courts and Ranelagh Gardens down to the river and freedom to come and go as he chooses (and can manage).

Dad was the Bandmaster for our local Boys' Brigade for many years and has always loved Military Music. On Thursday he'll join some of his Northampton friends and relatives on their annual trip to The Royal Albert Hall to see the Massed Band of The Royal Marines in concert. This has been an event for him and for Mum when she was with us for around thirty years. It's comforting to know he'll see them at least once more.
video quality is a bit dodgy, but it does give a sample

Fixed your link

Ah! The element of surprise
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »

thanks Andrew - I really should use that preview button more often

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »

So,
Dad's MRI scan is set for next Tuesday but we're all prepared for it to confirm the suspicion that since liver cancer is very rare in non-drinkers the growth they have found is secondary.
I'm going down to see him on Wednesday and we're hopeful that the results will be available for a discussion then.

He seems pretty upbeat about stuff on the surface, he's 86, has had a lifetime of Christian faith and has no fear of death, just a fear of the process if that makes sense.

He's certainly not shutting down yet.
On Monday, he went as he has for some months to do some outreach work with the local Methodist Church at a homeless shelter. No preaching, just serving a hot meal to the folks there.
He enjoyed his Marines Concert last night, although not the sections where they played Queen and Elvis tunes and he's paid the balance of the holiday cost to spend a week on the Isle of Wight with my sister in May.

He's impatient in so many areas, but he's not impatient to leave us.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »

I probably should have checked, but it seems that Dad's appointment today is with the Oncologist to discuss scans and tests and what they already know.
I found this out too late to get to London in time to go with him but am on the train now and should be there when he gets back to the MTI from Chelsea and Hammersmith Hospital.

Dad's!! Worse than kids!

I'm staying over in a Guest Room at the MTI tonight and contemplating a trip to Leicester Sq to have a look at the Hippodrome and/or The Empire.

Playing poker is such an escape from reality. Vicky Coren's excellent book captures well the sense of freedom from other worries that is found at the poker table and tonight I'll be hoping to find a fun, low-ish stakes game where I can mix it up between nittiness and creativity and break even will feel like a win Smiley

My alternative choice is to sit and play the MC satellite again, but I don't feel inclined to sit in on my own all night and have no time to win three more tokens.

Tomorrow? Who knows. Probably long conversations with Dad and the Nursing Staff followed by a journey home.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

I probably should have checked, but it seems that Dad's appointment today is with the Oncologist to discuss scans and tests and what they already know.
I found this out too late to get to London in time to go with him but am on the train now and should be there when he gets back to the MTI from Chelsea and Hammersmith Hospital.

Dad's!! Worse than kids!

I'm staying over in a Guest Room at the MTI tonight and contemplating a trip to Leicester Sq to have a look at the Hippodrome and/or The Empire.

Playing poker is such an escape from reality. Vicky Coren's excellent book captures well the sense of freedom from other worries that is found at the poker table and tonight I'll be hoping to find a fun, low-ish stakes game where I can mix it up between nittiness and creativity and break even will feel like a win Smiley

My alternative choice is to sit and play the MC satellite again, but I don't feel inclined to sit in on my own all night and have no time to win three more tokens.

Tomorrow? Who knows. Probably long conversations with Dad and the Nursing Staff followed by a journey home.

Good luck Dave. I hope it goes well.

The older I get, the better I was.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

Best wishes David

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »

Will get the poker stuff out of the way now before I go to see the Resident GP with Dad and get the full picture thus far

Went to the Vic and found a fun £1/£1 table where my request for "£200, can I have £20 singles" was interpreted by my right hand neighbour as indication that I was likely to be rather laggy.
Thus, when I got dealt AK on my first hand and 3bet his button open of £5 to £20 he peeled.
The flop rolled out QJ10cc and we both checked.
A non club 6 fell on the turn and I led for £26 and called his shove.
I rolled over my hand instantly and he returned the favour when the club fell on the river to give him his flush holding 97cc... £88 down in the first hand but stacks were generally low and I covered all bar him.
Was back on £200+ a couple of hands later when I flopped two pair and held vs two flush draws and across the night I had some fun dynamics with a variety of players.
Opening 45hh and hitting a 367rb flop is fun. We got it in on the 7 turn and I was a touch surprised to be told I was good on a 7 river..
Lost a few, won some more and achieved the objective of losing myself in the game whilst not losing money. Up £180 at the end and that included a loss of a £200+ pot just before I left where it goes in on the turn with KJ on an xxJQ board and he has QJ.

Note for rfggabc btw - - The Vic charges £1 for tea coffee and soft drinks even whilst they strip 10%/£5 out of every pot. £5.50 actually with .50p into some form of 'reward the regulars' pot.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »

I'll try to make time for a longer post with some pictures tomorrow but we met the Resident GP at the RHC today and his message was simple.

Based on what we know, Dad has cancer in either the Bowel or the Stomach. It has spread to his liver which suggests it's taken a hold.
He's due for a colonoscopy next Monday and if that doesn't find the cancer then a gascosopy is booked for the week after. The expectation from the GP is that the colonoscopy will find it.

Treatment options are limited. But we'll debate that when we know what we're dealing with.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »

Ugh.  Really keeping everything crossed for ye.  xx

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2013, 12:46:55 AM »

Sometimes there are just no words. Thinking of you all and hoping for good news.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:21 AM »

All my best wishes to your father and you at this impossible time mate.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2013, 01:45:38 AM »

Best of luck to you and your father. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »

Very sorry to hear this, thoughts are with you and your family x hope everything works out for your father.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:43 AM »

Sorry to hear this David, best of luck to you and your Dad.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: