blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340680 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:21 AM »

Those of you who enjoyed the coverage of that and the analysis of the games will likely enjoy English Grandmaster Danny King's instructional videos called "What happens next?".

This is the first:

There are 5 now, I think, and I've only just stumbled across them. It's a clever idea: he takes you through a few moves of a game, explains the position to you and then asks you which of two moves you should play next. You then have to click on one side of the video to open up a new video (either explaining why you were wrong or confirming why you were right)

Enjoy

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:50:56 AM »

Got it wrong Sad
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:14:59 AM »

They're not designed to be easy, of course, but the way that Danny King presents it and explains the ideas - and the solutions - really allows you to take something away from it.

Persevere with the other 4 and see if you improve.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »

Jeez, I am SO bad.......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »

Have never played chess. Are these videos ok for complete beginners to watch, or do I need to know the basics first?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »

actually some very interesting news coming from me soon regarding chess, hopefully will be a huge positive impact on the game.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »

Have never played chess. Are these videos ok for complete beginners to watch, or do I need to know the basics first?

I think you would need some form of basic knowledge (how thepieces move) as it's not designed for total beginners. However, my advice would be to spend 5 mins with this video and see how you find the level of it. Have a look at the end position and see whether you can work out a few possible ideas before clicking on the move you want to play.

If the second video still makes no sense, it might have been too much, but it's the only way you'll know for sure.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »

Really enjoyable ty Tal
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »

If you want to learn chess, start at http://www.chesskids.com/lessons04.shtml. It's the old version of his website, but it will get you going. Ignore that a lot of it is for da kidz.
nosey-p

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »

Played chess at school level, (was captain). Played for Rotherham chess club and played and got to a south Yorkshire under 18 final when I was 14. But not played since leaving school. This has wet my apatite to play again     
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »

Got it wrong Sad
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

By all means persevere at your leisure with the series. A quick search on YouTube will reveal the others.

I provided a basic coverage of the top flight competition, the Tal Memorial, a few weeks back. Well, there are a few comps on at the moment, but the top players are a big more spread out, rather than all being in on tournament.

You might remember young Mr Caruana, who came so close towinning the Tal Memorial, only to fall at the final hurdle. He has just won a comp in Dortmund against strong opposition, so he remains a man in good form.

What of the champ and World Number 1, Magnus Carlsen? He has just started a comp in Biel, along with 5 other strong GMs in a double-round-robin (you play all five guys as white and black). He drew the first game but the other two matches resulted in wins, so he sits half a point behind after the first game. Hikaru Nakamura of the USA is Carlsen's most obvious challenger, but these are all good players.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8351

The reference is made in the write-up to a "Poisoned Pawn". It's an odd choice of phrase, really, but chess people aren't known for their well-roundedness...

On the link above, have a look at the game between Chinese GM Wang Hao and French Number 1 Etienne Bacrot. When it gets to move 20, Black has to choose whether to take the pawn on c4 with his queen. Bacrot decides he can and so does.

Wang Hao has let Bacrot take the pawn so that he can get his bishop to b3 (which he does immediately), in order that it is pointing on the long diagonal towards the Black King.

There are now three plans for White, which work on the clever idea that, if your opponent has one weakness, give him two. If he has two give him three...

He has an attack possible on the King because of the diagonal his bishop his on - and, as we will see, the dark squared diagonal beneath it.

Secondly, he will have the e-pawn, which will start to march forward. Because Black will have to make moves to stop the two diagonals, he will have to allow the pawn to get forward.

The third plan kicks in because Black gets cramped from all the defending. White gets a big, powerful centre for his heavy artillery, which, as pieces get swapped off, leads to Black's king getting exposed. Eventually, it is too much and Bacrot resigned just before he was about to lose material.

The Poisoned Pawn gets another victim!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »

An absolute Juggernaut of an attack from Magnus Carlsen saw him bring home the bacon in his game today in Biel against Wang Hao.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8357 gets you to the coverage. Just have a look at how white's pieces swarm the king. Black never gets forward and his rooks never get free.

Closer to home, the British Championships started yesterday in North Shields this time. It is two weeks of endeavour for an historically prestigious title.

Today, partly due to lack of strong sponsorship, the main event doesn't attract all the top players (the top three ranked players have not attended, although Luke McShane would not have been expected to be here, as he works in the City). Nevertheless, the strongest three who have entered are exciting young talents, with Gawain Jones the top seed. He has improved in the past couple of years from a decent, solid grandmaster to one promising to go further towards the top 100.

David Howell has played in tournaments with the elite and is second seed, narrowly behind Gawain in the rankings. Both were child prodigies, although David more famously, as he holds the record for the youngest person ever to beat a Grandmaster (he beat John Nunn in a blitz game aged...8 in 1999. Yes, eight. As in 8 ). He also drew a game in 2002 with then World Champion, Vladimir Kramnik, which made him national news.

Steven Gordon was another outstanding junior player, although not quite the headline-maker of the two above. He was British Under 21 Champion 4 years in a row (2005-8) amongst a number of other achievements and will be looking to secure the main title this year. I do have a 1-1 record against Ste (although he might have been 11 when I beat him...).

They aren't the only Grandmasters on show and there are lots of exciting juniors looking to make a name for themselves. There is also the opportunity to get one of the tournament performances (called Norms) required to get a master title.

Coverage is available on the website directly (with live streams of the games from about 2.30pm each day) or via sites like http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8355 where there will be evening reports of the action.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »

Whether to do with any of the games or coverage, or just general stuff, if anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to see whether I can answer them.

Hope you enjoy the information anyway.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »

Hi Tal.

Don't let the lack of interaction make you think there's not much interest in the thread. If I had anything remotely intelligent to bring to the table I would but I'll have to remain an observer for now.

I very rarely play chess but I'm definitely enjoying the information you're providing and it's starting to make me want to play a bit. I also enjoyed those videos which you recommended.

Please keep it up.

Matt

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: