blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 341002 times)
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »

Thanks for the response above Tal. The more I think about it the more I think chess needs the WC to be decided by tournament. My heart likes the romanticism of the challenger vs champion, but in truth the tournament makes the most sense to me. Chess needs more uncertainty of outcome and underdog stories. It needs the odd Istanbul, Ivanisavic winning Wimbledon or a Jimmy White story. Dominance will still be recognised over many years of winning.

Anand is a great example of someone who isn't the best right now but due to the format will be very tough to beat in a match due to his draws.

Chess needs less draws, more black wins and endings like we just had in Spain. That's the future I think.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:31:36 PM by The Baron » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »

Great post Tal. Did you notate that game, and if so could you share it on here?

Also, the bit where you mentioned a song coming into your head. That used to happen to me all the time when I played. Even now I can remember specific games and the song that randomly popped into my head during it. Thought it was just me that happened to Smiley

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2012, 11:55:10 PM »

If I were capable of concentrating for four hours straight, I'd be a lot more effective at work. Even Tikay gets ad breaks.

I'll have a look at the game itself in the week. It might be an anticlimax after that report...

The world championship debate is a fun one. Match play is a different beast. There is a lot more psychology, more stamina and more intensity than in a tournament. Carlsen has never played one, so no one knows how he'll fare. You'd have to think he has the skills to shine but some people perform much better in certain formats.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:35 AM »

Hi Tal,

What do you think of Judit Polgar? I once saw a documentary on chess kids and all the kids there were convinced she'd be the first female WCC. Nigel Short once said Judit Polgar was one of the three or four true chess child prodigy players he knew of. It seems from her wiki page she's never really turned that into the genius of someone like Carlsen.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »

Hi Tal,

What do you think of Judit Polgar? I once saw a documentary on chess kids and all the kids there were convinced she'd be the first female WCC. Nigel Short once said Judit Polgar was one of the three or four true chess child prodigy players he knew of. It seems from her wiki page she's never really turned that into the genius of someone like Carlsen.

I think you've covered it, tbh.

She was comfortably in the top ten in the world for a while, so has arguably lived up to her potential.

If a young footballer is identified as being a special talent and that child goes on to be an automatic first choice starter for Barcelona, would you say because they weren't nominated for World Player of the Year that they hadn't lived up to their potential?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »

A couple of puzzles I've just lifted from an article:

White to move and checkmate will follow shortly with the knights. How do you get the mate to work?

And puzzle number two: a clever took move required to force checkmate, if you please.

Don't ask me whether you've found the right answer; tell me you've found the right answer and explain why.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »

LOVED that Tourney Report.

You are right up there with Nirvana in my estimation of quality Posters. He might be a pawn ahead.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »

LOVED that Tourney Report.

You are right up there with Nirvana in my estimation of quality Posters. He might be a pawn ahead.

Quite happily take that! Thank you very much.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »

A couple of puzzles I've just lifted from an article:

Qf2, Rxf2
Nf2#

And puzzle number two: a clever took move required to force checkmate, if you please.

Can't figure out this one. Will look again later Sad

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »

Excellent spot, sir!

So what happens if the rook DOESN'T take the queen? Can you still checkmate? Remember that, if he plays a nothing move on the other side of the board, you can't take the rook and still checkmate, because he takes your queen with his Bishop and gives his king an extra square to escape.

If you can solve that, you're there.

Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »

I love you, smashedagain.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »

Excellent spot, sir!

So what happens if the rook DOESN'T take the queen? Can you still checkmate? Remember that, if he plays a nothing move on the other side of the board, you can't take the rook and still checkmate, because he takes your queen with his Bishop and gives his king an extra square to escape.

If you can solve that, you're there.

Smiley

Sub nirvana-grade level itt........

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »

I love you, smashedagain.

It's cool to be different.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:10 AM »

Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »

A double insult. You've been spending too much time with Karabiner.

It was a beaut of a manoeuvre from smashedagain and deserved the admiration.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: