blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:24:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 343226 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: November 06, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »

dear lord that was frustrating.

kept thinking i'd seen good moves, nope not right. arse. Sad

really enjoying reading up on these, i'm so clueless at chess!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 06, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »

White to move, mate in 3

I can't get this one!

http://gameknot.com/chess-puzzle.pl?pz=14349&daily=1

Elegant. Like it.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »

Only got it so quickly because you said it was elegant! 'Tis very nice though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »

Me and my helpful adjectives

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 07, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

Is there some levelling going on here?

Can't see the point of this puzzle at all. I've wasted more time wondering if it's a level than I've spent on the puzzle so I thought I'd just ask.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »

Can't see the point of this puzzle at all. I've wasted more time wondering if it's a level than I've spent on the puzzle so I thought I'd just ask.

No level, there's a mate in three main moves.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 07, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »

No level, there's a mate in three main moves.

It is quite a difficult puzzle. It starts with a non-check, which makes it harder. There are two different checkmates, depending on whether Black moves his king or the pawn.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 07, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »

So with the first queen move there's 100% no way that black can avoid the 3 moves mate?

Cool.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

So with the first queen move there's 100% no way that black can avoid the 3 moves mate?

Cool.

Exactly. After your first move, Black gets mated 2 moves later one way if he moves his king next and another way 2 moves later if he moves his pawn.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:54 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: November 07, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »

lol could only be better if you could see each board and he was in a stalemate from repetition at best on each board!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 08, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »

White to move, mate in 3

I can't get this one!

http://gameknot.com/chess-puzzle.pl?pz=14349&daily=1

At the risk of spoiling anyone's hard work, start with Qh7.

As I'm sure by now you've discovered, you have the facility to ask for a hint and that will guide you through the answers.

The more I look at it, the more I'd reinforce what I said before: it is a very difficult puzzle.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 08, 2012, 08:58:10 AM »

There used to be a pretty big tournament this time of year in Bucharest which this year almost didn't happen. However, the organisers - with an almost DTDesque level of tenacity and resilience, located 4 top players (including Romanian number 1, Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu and the comp goes ahead.

Caruana plays but then I think we have two players our thread has yet to encounter (at least over the board): we know of Vessilin Topalov, who was once world number 1 and famously challenged Vladimir Kramnik for the world title (see "toilet-gate" from a while back).

Completing the lineup is Vassily Ivanchuk, known as "chucky", who is known for his breadth of opening theory. He's also a tireless workaholic.

Over the board, in round one, Topalov drew with Caruana and Ivanchuk produced a lovely game to defeat Nisipeanu.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8615

Have a look at the position from move 30. White is a pawn up, but when bishops are of opposite colour, it can be difficult to make progress at times, as you have to put your extra pawn on squares your bishop can't defend. Black does the right thing in keeping the rooks on, because he needs to keep counterplay chances alive, but chucky was not to be stopped, and aggressive play in the endgame paid off.

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »

lol looked at Ivanchuk game , & thinking how did he win opposite bishops endgame
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 08, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »

lol looked at Ivanchuk game , & thinking how did he win opposite bishops endgame

Extra queenside pawn made all the difference.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: